BDL 2018 Week 9 - Gotham Gashslayers @ Sydney Dingos

ny92mike

Gotham Gashslayers @ Sydney Dingos  

13 members have voted

1. 1. Who Wins?

• Gotham Gashslayers
    • Sydney Dingos

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 11/07/2018 at 05:00 PM

BDL 2018 Week 9

Match:  Gotham Gashslayers @ Sydney Dingos

Away Owner: @pheltzbahr

Home Owner: @DingoLadd

Vote for who you think would win the game.

Rules:
One vote per person, duplicate accounts will be banned and action taken against those attempting to rig the results.

One vote per team involved in the match. Co-owners may vote in every match up except their own.

For members, who have been following along, and wish to vote.  Please join the conversation and maybe give a reason you voted as you did. This will alleviate any suspicions of unusual voting and will promote discussion.

Note: Players that have a (D) next to their name indicate that they are doubtful or unlikely to play. Players with (Q) are game-time decisions.

Good luck to you both.

Gotham Gashslayers

QB - Carson Wentz

RB - Kerryon Johnson

WR - Demaryius Thomas

WR- Emmanuel Sanders

WR - Jarvis Landry

TE - Geoff Swaim

LT - Jake Matthews

LG - Andrus Peat

C - Maurkice Pouncey

RG - Shaq Mason

RT - Mitchell Schwartz

RB - Matt Breida

RB - Derrick Henry

WR - Jordan Matthews

TE - Hayden Hurst

C - Ryan Kalil

OL - Mike McGlinchey

OL - AJ Cann

QB -  Matthew Stafford

DE - JJ Watt

DT/NT - Austin Johnson

DE/DT - Chris Jones

EDGE - Robert Quinn

SLB - Leonard Floyd

MLB - Benardrick McKinney

CB - Xavier Rhodes

CB - Xavien Howard

CB - Josh Norman

S - Damarious Randall

S - Minkah Fitzpatrick

EDGE - Kemoko Turay

INT - Vernon Butler

INT - Bennie Logan

LB - Antonio Morrison

LB - Nick Kwiatkowski

S - Justin Simmons

CB - Jourdan Lewis

DB - Rasul Douglas

Sydney Dingos

QB1: Ben Roelthisberger
RB1: David Johnson
WR1: Golden Tate
WR2: Calvin Ridley - (Q)
WR3: John Brown
TE: Jimmy Graham 
LT: Nate Solder
LG:  John Miller
C:  Cody Whitehair
RG: Brandon Brooks
RT: Chris Hubbard

Bench:

QB2: Dak Prescott
RB2: Austin Ekeler
RB3: Aaron Jones
WR4: Mike Williams 
WR5: LaQuan Treadwell
TE2: Vance McDonald
OL6: Chris Hubbard
OL7: Dan Feeney

Sydney Defense:

LDE: Whitney Mercilus
3T:  Malik Jackson
DT:  Leonard Williams
RDE: Mario Addison
WLB: Lavonte David
MLB: Myles Jack
CB1: Byron Jones
CB2: Marcus Peters
CB3: Logan Ryan
FS:  Sean Davis
SS:  Reshad Jones 

Bench:

SLB: Kamalai Correa
RLB: Gerald Hodges
DE3: Alvin Dupree
DT3: Derek Wolfe
DT4: Brandon Mebane
CB4: Donte Jackson
CB5: Steven Nelson 

• S3: Eric Murray 

Gotham Gashslayers

OFFENSE - 3WR/TE/RB - Single Back Set

We come out in our familiar base 3 wide set with the objective of running a balanced offense with the objective of sustaining long drives and keeping the Dingos defense off balance.

We will feature a run game lead by Kerryon Johnson, who we will use on about 60% of snaps.  We expect Johnson to approach 20 touches combined on the ground and through the air. Breida will be used as a change of pace back and Henry in the short/goal line role.  We will attack the edges, running a plenty of off tackle behind Matthews and Schwartz.

In the pass game, we will employ motion often to determine man/zone schemes and have Wentz take advantage accordingly. We look to exploit single coverage on first and second reads as Wentz should be able to find soft spots against our WRs.  We will use Swaim and Landry in the short and intermediate area to move the chains.

Our O Line should give Wentz plenty of time against a lacking Dingo pass rush, but on obvious passing downs, we will have our RB on a read/react blitz pickup role.  If no blitz detected, chip and roll out to the flat as a safety valve.

DEFENSE - 34 Hybrid Nickel

We come out in our base nickel against Dingo 3 wide sets, looking to stop Sydney from establishing the run and letting our front 4 loose on Ben later in the game as we force them to put the ball in the air against our string CBs.

Aside from our strong front 4, we will employ Leonard Floyd in the Von Miller SLB role as an additional stand up active LB.  He will line up outside Watt on the defensive left and be charged with holding the edge on run downs, rushing the passer on obvious passing downs, and have read/react short zone coverage otherwise.

In pass coverage, we go with man coverage on the majority of snaps, Rhodes on Tate; Howard on Ridley; Norman on Brown.  We will run some single high looks with Fitz; cover 2 with Randall and Fitz covering deep, and also rotate our safeties on 8 man box looks from time to time.  The object is to keep Ben guessing.

Sydney Dingos

Gameplan:

Motivation:

• We're 2-6, we'll try our best to play spoiler against Gotham.

Sydney Offensive Strategy:

• We're going to come out this week and focus on taking advantage of a Gotham secondary with little depth , which will allow our WRs to make more plays and allow Ben to work his magic. It will also allow our TEs to make more plays over the middle with Gotham most likely putting the attention on our WRs+RBs.
  • Despite the focus we'll be putting on the running game this week, we won't shy away from using David Johnson in space and running him outside a lot more to take advantage of slower edge defenders.
  • We'll operate mostly out of the shotgun for this game with Ben setting extra protection to make up for the fact we're banged up on the o-line, however we'll make sure to take occasional deep shots to keep Gotham from blitzing and just stacking the box.

Scheme;

• We'll look to run the ball a lot early and often to try and keep Gotham from sending the house early on, we'll use 2 TE sets quite a bit in an effort to give help to our blockers.

Formations;

• Shotgun, Single Back,2 back sets, I-Formation, 2 TE Sets, Spread, 4 wide, 3 wide etc. 

Pass to Run;

• 45% Pass to 55% Run.

The Passing Strategy: 

• Ben will have the chance to go up against an elite Gotham secondary this week, our main goal will be getting our WRs+TEs the ball early and often , Golden Tate will be our no.1 WR and will operate mostly out of the slot he will play outside in 2 WR sets and he'll command 10+ targets no matter who covers him. Xavier Rhodes is no doubt a very good CB, but we feel Tate can win that matchup.
  • Calvin Ridley will be our no.2 WR and with the consistency he has shown for a rookie he should be able to beat whoever Gotham tries to cover him with. John Brown will be our no.3 WR and the main deep threat on offense, Brown will get a few deep shots from Ben so he can take advantage of a Gotham defense lacking the safeties to defend the deep ball expect Brown to command anywhere from 5-10 targets.
  • Mike Williams will be our no.4 WR and will rotate in on 3rd downs and will be featured in the redzone quite a bit, we feel he can win jump-ball situations and make plays down the field with his size so he'll get a deep shot or two.
  • Jimmy Graham+Vance McDonald will be featured heavily as we will look to use 2 TE sets quite a bit to help in the run game, they'll also command a lot of targets in the passing game as they will be our main redzone weapons and will be featured heavily over the middle of the field as well as be used to help in pass protection and in the running game.
  • David Johnson will be our no.1 RB and will get 75% of the touches and be the bell-cow of our running game, he'll get somewhere north of 25+ touches though we wouldn't mind giving him 35+ if the game-script calls for it. 
  • David Johnson will also be heavily featured as a pass catcher out of the backfield and will pass block if needed, we'll also use a TE to chip at the line or pass block to help against a very solid Gotham edge rush.
  • To address the obvious issues with how he's being used IRL, David Johnson has sucked this year but this is 100% a scheme/blocking/QB issue because the Cardinals offense is hot garbage this year. Johnson playing in my offense will be used a lot better and be given the proper blocking/usage.
  • Austin Ekeler will be a lot more involved this season since he's established himself as one of the top backup RBs in the league and he'll split touches with Johnson and get the remaining share of the workload, Aaron Jones like in real life will be underutilized and not get nearly the amount of touches he deserves.
  • I know my WRs can win their match-ups on the outside and in the slot, we should be able to play plays all game long and give Ben plenty of time to pick apart Gotham's defense

The Running/Blocking Strategy: 

• Some changes to the o-line this week depending on who is healthy, we'll put a focus on running outside this week since we feel we can beat Gotham on the edge along with getting our RBs involved as much as possible.
  • David Johnson will split touches with Jones+Ekeler but I'd expect he'll get roughly 75% of the touches while our other RBs split touches with him.
  • In the event(s) of an injury, Whitehair shifts to C/G, Feeney plays OG, Collins plays OG/OT, Hubbard plays OT etc. I'll most likely mention who plays where in the comments if not mentioned already.

TDLR:

• Get the ground game going early, let our WRs make plays, Get our TEs involved and use them in 2 TE sets, get David Johnson in space.

Sydney Defensive Strategy:

• Heavy zone coverage with some blitzing mixed, we'll focus on limiting Gotham's WRs and forcing them to beat us with their running game.

Formations;

• 4-3, 4-2-5, Goaline, Dime, Cover 3, Cover 2, 2 Deep Safeties etc.

Scheme;

• Zone coverage with a mix of man, double Emmanual Sanders whenever possible, get after Wentz but don't let him make plays down the field, play disciplined football. Contain the run and win the battles at the LOS so our LBs can make plays in the passing/running game, let our edge rushers get after the QB.

Ratios:

• 60% Zone Coverage to 40% Man Coverage, Blitzing on 25% of the snaps, heavy rotations on the d-line with no one playing more than 85% of the snaps. 

The Secondary Strategy: 

• Byron Jones will again be the no.1 CB this week and he'll cover Emmanual Sanders with some help over the top on occasion we feel Jones is more than capable of covering Sanders in man and zone, Marcus Peters will remain at the no.2 CB spot and he'll more than likely be matched up with Thomas who he should be able to cover and contain.
  • Logan Ryan is the no.1 CB for the Titans in terms of snap count and I expect he'll be able to handle the task of covering the slot and whoever he covers, In 3 wide Ryan covers the slot and Byron Jones plays outside in 3 wide with Peters playing the other outside CB spot. In 2 wide Peters+Jones will cover the WRs.
  • Covering the slot is vitally important given Wentz is heavily reliant on those type of WRs IRL and Landry is such an excellent slot WR.
  • Donte Jackson will be our 4th CB and will come in for 4 wide,spread etc. Our secondary is the strength of our defense and we feel we can limit Gotham's solid weapons in the passing game since we have the personnel to limit them and keep them from making plays downfield.
  • Reshad Jones will play SS and will play deep more often than not, he will offer support against TEs and RBs if he plays closer to the LOS. Sean Davis will play FS and will be the deep center-fielder, however Reshad Jones will be in charge of coverage adjustments since we feel he's more suited to that.
  • If an injury occurs Eric Murray takes over at S, we'll mostly focus on playing a Cover 3 look in zone, with some heavy man coverage and a focus on 2 deep safety looks in man. However we will of course mix this up with zone blitzes and other coverage, as well as extra emphasis on covering Thomas+Sanders+Landry since we feel like they're a bigger issue than Gotham's RBs/TEs.
  • Kerryon johnsin has of course proven to be a solid runner in his rookie season, so we will account for him with Jack+David covering him for most of the game, they'll also be tasked with taking care of him in the running game.
  • Gotham  is probably going to come out throwing early and often so can they let Wentz establish the offense and try and figure out our defense early, we'll adjust to this by not showing much early and mix in zone/man fairly evenly throughout the 1st couple of drives and keep increasing the amount of zone coverage as we go later into the game.
  •  Myles Jack+Lavonte David form one of the best LB duos in BDL and should be able to handle the responsibility of covering Gotham's RBs+TEs whenever given that assignment and are more than capable of containing Johnson.
  • We'll mix it up with some 2 deep safety looks and a variety of other coverages as well, we'll blitz on 25% of the snaps and occasionally use zone blitzes as well.

The Front Seven Strategy: 

• Lavonte David will be the QB of our defense and make adjustments as he sees the need to, he'll also be a major part of keeping the defense from making mistakes against Wentz.
  • We'll rotate our defensive players as needed to keep them fresh, we'll focus on limiting the short passing game and disrupting Wentz by letting our pass rush get after him and going for the strip sack when possible.
  • I'd expect we'll blitz on roughly 25% of the snaps to get after Wentz and use a variety of different coverages to keep him guessing.
  • My d-line and front seven should be more than capable of shutting down the run and winning the battle at the LOS especially on the exterior with Gotham starting a medicore o-line.
  • We'll rotate our players and play the defense needed for goaline, nickel, dime etc. as the need arises. Might as well boast about my D-line since it's seen as a weakness by some, Jackson+Williams form the one of the best duos of interior players only behind Singapore's and Seoul's.  
  • Mercilus while far from the best edge rusher in the world is a very good all around player capable of getting after the QB and beating on Matthews/Schwartz, Addison is an underrated player who quietly led the Panthers in sacks last year and has 2.5 on the year so far.

TDLR:

• Don't let Wentz make the easy throws, play man coverage as much as possible, get after the QB, keep their weapons in check, make plays on defense.

Special Teams:

• Enunwa will return kicks and punts, Dak Prescott will line up at cheerleader.

Sponsorship:

• This week's game has been brought to you by Dingoo, the defunct game console our team sold the naming rights to for 12 Kangaroo steaks and we're stuck with it because our legal team is made up of a bunch of Dingos.

Another defensive matchup. 

With the Mason injury I think Sydney zone coverage can work. I like their interior pass rush in this one and their Lbs have the speed and range to cover the middle of the field, which is important vs Landry. I do like Gotham ability to run outside though.

On the other side, I like Gotham corners vs Sydney WRs. I think Sydney could have run inside a bit but chose to go outside. Considering one side is held by JJ Watt and Floyd outside of him, this was the wrong choice imho.

Tight game until the 4th where Sydney interior D starts getting tired a bit and Wentz finds more soft spots to hit his WRs. 

23-10 Gotham 

Neither team is fielding the personnel for a sound running game, but the Dingo’s offensive line doesn’t appear to be as solid as Gotham’s nor does the edge of Dingo.  So I’m giving a slight advantage to Gotham’s run game.

This matchup for me comes down to personnel with Gotham having the advantage at most of the key positions.  IMO, Gotham has one of the better secondaries in the league.  It’s also worth noting that Nate Solder is having a horrible season and has been getting man handled by just about every player that goes against him.  With Watt and Quinn on the edge and the Dingos not having a solid running game to take pressure off of Ben, I expect him to be pressured and with the secondary Gotham owns, coverage sacks and interceptions are likely to happen.

I think @TedLavie nailed the projected score in this game.  23-10 Gotham.

12 minutes ago, Jlash said:

I can't vote on this one again, I can't give a fair assessment not reading Sydney's walls of text. At some point you gotta scale this down dude, it's absurd.

I had a 4,500-ish word game-plan at one point that I trimmed down this week, this one's like 2,000. 

I'll try and get it under 1,000 for next week.

I'm going to echo the other comments and say that Sydney does need to clean up its game plan. Delete everything, and say everything once.

Defensive game as others have said. Marcus Peters is really bad though and Demaryius is a mismatch for him. With help given to Sanders (would have liked to see Byron Jones 1v1 and Peters get help), I think that alongside the mismatch in the trenches is enough to give Gotham the win.

Archived