5 Things Up - Were There 5 Down? Week 9 Edition.

steelcurtain29

Downs:

1. Officiating

2. Crappy Officiating

3. Terrible Calls by the Officials

4. Hometown officiating

5. Did I mention I thought the officials were rather atrocious?

Ups:

1. James Connor

2. WR's - They did a good job overall with catches and working themselves open

3. Clock Management - It wasn't flawless but it was much more bearable than the norm.

4. Defense.  It ain't lights out but they stood tall when they needed to, this might have been the best rush attempt and blitzing game I've seen this season

5.  Ben - Decision making overall was much better, especially his decision to take his only sack of the game.

I do not think you can understate Dobb's pass.  Coming in cold.  Throwing from his endzone and hitting the receiver for at 20+ pass.  And props to Tomlin and Fichtner for having the guts to call a pass play there.  Does anyone think that LJ would have made that throw?

2 hours ago, jebrick said:

I do not think you can understate Dobb's pass.  Coming in cold.  Throwing from his endzone and hitting the receiver for at 20+ pass.  And props to Tomlin and Fichtner for having the guts to call a pass play there.  Does anyone think that LJ would have made that throw?

Completely agree. They would have run the ball imo, if LJ was in there. 

I agree with what most other people are putting as ups and downs, but I wanted to add something. 

Sean Davis has been really good this year. His tackling has improved greatly. He brings the boom in a way that Mitchell never could. Mitchell would always hit hard and illegally. Davis just wraps up but his hits have some pop. How many runners have we seen go across the middle and be completely stood up and stonewalled by Davis? 

He seems like the answer we've been missing at FS since Clark left town.

1 hour ago, MOSteelers56 said:

I agree with what most other people are putting as ups and downs, but I wanted to add something. 

Sean Davis has been really good this year. His tackling has improved greatly. He brings the boom in a way that Mitchell never could. Mitchell would always hit hard and illegally. Davis just wraps up but his hits have some pop. How many runners have we seen go across the middle and be completely stood up and stonewalled by Davis? 

He seems like the answer we've been missing at FS since Clark left town.

I hope that's true, but I don't think we'll truly know the answer to that until next season when (hopefully) our front seven is better and he can do his job the way its intended.

2 minutes ago, wwhickok said:

I hope that's true, but I don't think we'll truly know the answer to that until next season when (hopefully) our front seven is better and he can do his job the way its intended.

I think fans are really sleeping on our defense. It looks pretty legit. I know we haven't beaten any offensive juggernauts (but which NFL defense is doing that?) but we look about 15x better than we did at the start of this year and the end of last year. Stopping the run, not blowing assignments, tackling, not giving up massive chunk plays 10 times a game. I'm encouraged by what this team looks like right now.

7 minutes ago, MOSteelers56 said:

I think fans are really sleeping on our defense. It looks pretty legit. I know we haven't beaten any offensive juggernauts (but which NFL defense is doing that?) but we look about 15x better than we did at the start of this year and the end of last year. Stopping the run, not blowing assignments, tackling, not giving up massive chunk plays 10 times a game. I'm encouraged by what this team looks like right now.

The problem with our defense is that #2 CB position imo.  

The one major thing that I will say about our defense which we couldn't truly say the last couple years is, the tackling is much better.  The last year or two we've had so many missed tackles it's on the verge of pathetic.  We haven't been perfect obviously, we're not going to be, name one defense in the league that has been, but we have gotten better over the course of this season.  Our 2nd half run defense has been phenomenal, I've seen a pattern where we are a little more 'loose' on defense in the first half, that seems to be where teams bust off big running chunks or a big pass play or two.  In the second half, after we've been able to figure out what the opposition seems to be game planning, they tighten up and it seems like the opposition begins playing in desperation mode.  I don't expect it to be like that against the Chargers, Patriots, or Panthers, but the second half performances have been very encouraging on defense.

Not worth an up, but I thought Washington showed some nice things. He has strong hands and looks to be a natural catcher. I could have easily seen Hunter miss both the catches Washington made last week. I wish we could get him going deep, though. If he makes some strides, by the end of the year, this offense is going to be a juggernaut.

Archived