5 Things Up - Were There 5 Down? Week 9 Edition.

steelcurtain29

On 2018-11-05 at 2:11 PM, MOSteelers56 said:

I think fans are really sleeping on our defense. It looks pretty legit. I know we haven't beaten any offensive juggernauts (but which NFL defense is doing that?) but we look about 15x better than we did at the start of this year and the end of last year. Stopping the run, not blowing assignments, tackling, not giving up massive chunk plays 10 times a game. I'm encouraged by what this team looks like right now.

In recent weeks (since burns was benched/out) we are mysteriously playing near top of the league in D FWIW.  We were horrid early in the season, but are playing better now. We also don't have our QB throwing to the other team and that helps as well as having the running game and TOP.  This D looks much different with Burns not out there for some reason , and i never expect this much of positive change overall to the D. Not elite or anything, but good enough as some would claim.

8 minutes ago, 3rivers said:

In recent weeks (since burns was benched/out) we are mysteriously playing near top of the league in D FWIW.  We were horrid early in the season, but are playing better now. We also don't have our QB throwing to the other team and that helps as well as having the running game and TOP.  This D looks much different with Burns not out there for some reason , and i never expect this much of positive change overall to the D. Not elite or anything, but good enough as some would claim.

I wonder how much blame is on Burns for the miscommunications? That seemed to be one of the major weaknesses of the defense while Burns was playing. 

11 hours ago, MOSteelers56 said:

I wonder how much blame is on Burns for the miscommunications? That seemed to be one of the major weaknesses of the defense while Burns was playing. 

I thought that last year and then this year since he was the common factor involved . We will have to wait and see if breakdowns occur while he is watching from the sidelines.

16 hours ago, MOSteelers56 said:

We’ve also been blitzing more without him in there. The pass rush has been improve. Bostic/Williams are improved in the middle. And  Burnett being back has helped with short coverage area. 

IMO all of that has have a bigger impact than Sensabaugh over Burns. 

2 hours ago, warfelg said:

We’ve also been blitzing more without him in there. The pass rush has been improve. Bostic/Williams are improved in the middle. And  Burnett being back has helped with short coverage area. 

IMO all of that has have a bigger impact than Sensabaugh over Burns. 

Oh, I agree. I am not putting the blame entirely on Burns. The miscommunication has seemed to slow since we put Coty in the lineup. 

Archived