Alex Smith

lavar703

This is turning into one of the worst trades this team has ever made. Fuller, a pick and tons and tons of cap space were given up for what was sold as an “upgrade”. To this point we’ve got nothing back in this trade. 

Happy feet, bad passes, terrible decisions and literally nothing impressive to speak of. They have to pick a QB and I’m sure they know it. Any deficit effectively ends the game and if AP isn’t running all over the other team they can’t compete. Let’s just call a spade a spade. This trade was a fleecing. They have to figure out a way out of this contract? Not only that but I would make the move to Colt McCoy right now. Smith gives us almost no chance. 

7 minutes ago, Slappy Mc said:

All I will say is, this game isn’t on the QB.

Sure. You’re right. The problem is though that when the defense isn’t perfect, and when the running game isn’t perfect, we don’t have a chance. Alex Smith cannot grab the bull by the horns and carry the team. 

9 minutes ago, MikeT14 said:

Sure. You’re right. The problem is though that when the defense isn’t perfect, and when the running game isn’t perfect, we don’t have a chance. Alex Smith cannot grab the bull by the horns and carry the team. 

I would say that the defense wasn’t even average today. They were downright awful.

I am in agreement that Smith is not “our savior” on offense, but I will say that I have been particularly disappointed with the play calling when we get behind.

2 minutes ago, Slappy Mc said:

I would say that the defense wasn’t even average today. They were downright awful.

I am in agreement that Smith is not “our savior” on offense, but I will say that I have been particularly disappointed with the play calling when we get behind.

Agreed. D was bad. Play calling never seems great. We still only scored 14 pts against one of the leagues worst defenses. 

Good lord...Alex Smith is Alex Smith.

How many times do we have to rehash this? We know what he is. He may get slightly better when he has his full set of weapons and has more time to build chemistry, but don't expect something that isn't realistic. The loss to the Falcons was not his fault and if you think so, than you are misinformed. He had ZERO running game, was under immense pressure and had multiple big time drops that killed drives. Yes he missed some throws and wasn't the sharpest. Again, Alex Smith is Alex Smith. Nobody is saying he is great and he needs to play better, but its not all on him.

As said. Alex is who Alex is. Hes never changed that.

I dont think things would feel like this if we had someone grooming in the wings. But we dont. We carry 2 qbs and its nonsense. And this draft is no help whatsoever. I have no clue why we got rid of Nate instead of trying to develop him along a few years, because whats in this draft is no better than he was.

Its a hopeless feeling with nothing to bank on, and nothing on the horizon to groom. Alex would be the perfect placeholder while someone was being brought up behind him. But instead hes the banked on franchise for the foreseeable future.

17 minutes ago, A TRAIN 89 said:

Good lord...Alex Smith is Alex Smith.

How many times do we have to rehash this? We know what he is. He may get slightly better when he has his full set of weapons and has more time to build chemistry, but don't expect something that isn't realistic. The loss to the Falcons was not his fault and if you think so, than you are misinformed. He had ZERO running game, was under immense pressure and had multiple big time drops that killed drives. Yes he missed some throws and wasn't the sharpest. Again, Alex Smith is Alex Smith. Nobody is saying he is great and he needs to play better, but its not all on him.

If the defense has an off game and AP doesn’t go for 90+ we lose. This shouldn’t be acceptable and just easily dismissed as “Alex Smith is Alex Smith”. And yes, it is a lot of his fault. He can’t hit open receivers consistently. He can barely throw for over 200 yards most games. Basically if we get behind the game is over. You don’t pay $90M for that. 

12 minutes ago, lavar703 said:

If the defense has an off game and AP doesn’t go for 90+ we lose. This shouldn’t be acceptable and just easily dismissed as “Alex Smith is Alex Smith”. And yes, it is a lot of his fault. He can’t hit open receivers consistently. He can barely throw for over 200 yards most games. Basically if we get behind the game is over. You don’t pay $90M for that. 

The defense was THRASHED for 500 yards...Falcons rushing offense was ranked 30th and they did what ever they wanted on the ground. No need to even mention the 3rd down conversion percentage because we all know how embarrassing it was. Defense was horrendous and saying it was an "off game" is laughable. 

AP didn't do much, but again its not all on him because the line was injured and porous.

What were you expecting when he was signed? He has been a game manager his whole career outside of his last year in KC. Could he be sharper, yes...But this is what he is and everyone knew it. Adjust your expectations if you think he is going to light it up through the air.

Yes, he hasn't been accurate. I have said that numerous times. He needs to be better on the short to intermediate routes. He also doesn't have 2 of his most important weapons (on top of not even having a true #1) and had 3 starters on the offensive line out...Not to mention the drive killing drops.

15 minutes ago, lavar703 said:

A. Yes you do. Its more like $71M gtd, but I digress. 

B. In what warped world do you live in? He was offered a contract and accepted it. If you have a problem with that, than email Bruce Allen.

But we can agree to disagree...I just can't blame a game manager for not being able to manage a game when everything around him is in shambles.

Here’s the thing.  We could add a top notch edge rusher in the draft next year, sign a new #1 cb in free agency, get our Oline back healthy, have a big year from Guice, maybe even replace the coaching staff.  With all of this I still don’t think we could win a SuperBowl with Alex Smith as our starting QB.  

Archived