Alex Smith

lavar703

I don’t blame Alex Smith for accepting the contract. I’ve consistently blamed Bruce for this mess and have ridiculed this terrible trade from the beginning. I know what Smith is and it’s why I was so against this trade. I hate his fit in this offense and I simply cannot stand watching him drop back, tap his feet repeatedly and then take off running. This happens on probably 70% of his drop backs. 

Unless the guy is open by 20 yards he simply will not throw the ball. He absolutely will check the ball down and I fully understand he’s a game manager. You could get the exact same production from Colt and it wouldn’t have costed you but $2M. That third round pick and Fuller would’ve gone a lot further to continuing the build of this team than the trade for Smith. 

4 minutes ago, MKnight82 said:

Here’s the thing.  We could add a top notch edge rusher in the draft next year, sign a new #1 cb in free agency, get our Oline back healthy, have a big year from Guice, maybe even replace the coaching staff.  With all of this I still don’t think we could win a SuperBowl with Alex Smith as our starting QB.  

What will happen is exactly what happened to Jacksonville. You miss out on a chance at a super bowl and then get stuck in that weird spot where you aren’t terrible but you aren’t good while all of your good talent ages. 

29 minutes ago, A TRAIN 89 said:

The defense was THRASHED for 500 yards...Falcons rushing offense was ranked 30th and they did what ever they wanted on the ground. No need to even mention the 3rd down conversion percentage because we all know how embarrassing it was. Defense was horrendous and saying it was an "off game" is laughable. 

AP didn't do much, but again its not all on him because the line was injured and porous.

What were you expecting when he was signed? He has been a game manager his whole career outside of his last year in KC. Could he be sharper, yes...But this is what he is and everyone knew it. Adjust your expectations if you think he is going to light it up through the air.

Yes, he hasn't been accurate. I have said that numerous times. He needs to be better on the short to intermediate routes. He also doesn't have 2 of his most important weapons (on top of not even having a true #1) and had 3 starters on the offensive line out...Not to mention the drive killing drops.

A. Yes you do. Its more like $71M gtd, but I digress. 

B. In what warped world do you live in? He was offered a contract and accepted it. If you have a problem with that, than email Bruce Allen.

But we can agree to disagree...I just can't blame a game manager for not being able to manage a game when everything around him is in shambles.

The fact that he’s just a game manager is why many of us didn’t want to trade for him in the first place.  

It is clear that Alex Smith is not a fit for this offense.  Jay Gruden wants it to be a playaction, vertical offense.  It's why Vernon Davis and Desean Jackson thrived in it.  It's why they signed Richardson this offseason, hoping he would be the next D-Jax for this offense.  However, even when the running attack is efficient, we still rarely throw the ball downfield.  And then there are the accuracy issues that are well documented.  Smith is also 34, and to give a 34 year old $71 million guaranteed was an idiot decision.  That's on top of giving up two important assets- a cost controlled defensive back and a third round pick, and that decision also involved letting go of a QB who is arguably top 10 in the NFL.  

Our defense has won quite a few games for us.  However, against an offense like the Falcons, they are always going to put up at least 300 yards with 21 points.  The offensive talent is just too good- Calvin Ridley is finally the #2 they've wanted for Julio Jones for years, with Matt Ryan throwing them the football.  They passed on earlier downs to spread us out, and take advantage of Mason Foster having to cover Tevin Coleman, then ran it right through us in the second half.  

Part of that, again, is that an offense like the Falcons is going to get theirs, it's a fact and we have to deal with it.  However, our offense stunk in the first half, and they ran out and gassed our defense early and put us in a hole offensively that we could not overcome.  We did get 366 yards of total offense, but most of that was in garbage time with the Falcons running prevent.

After watching him play yesterday, Will Grier might be our best hope moving forward.  He has a very good, accurate deep ball and not afraid to use it, and has plenty of college seasoning.  

28 minutes ago, A TRAIN 89 said:

I agree with you, but he is what we got for the next 2.5 years (at least).

And that is the worst part, there is no escape clause. Alex Smith is the present and near term future, cause the long term future is not on the radar. 

2 minutes ago, mike23md said:

And that is the worst part, there is no escape clause. Alex Smith is the present and near term future, cause the long term future is not on the radar. 

Which is why I'd like to keep the discussion around what the team can control. Not continually pointing out what Alex Smith is or isn't, how great Kirk Cousins is playing, etc. 

19 minutes ago, A TRAIN 89 said:

Which is why I'd like to keep the discussion around what the team can control. Not continually pointing out what Alex Smith is or isn't, how great Kirk Cousins is playing, etc. 

They can get rid of Alex Smith after this year, they can designate him a post June 1st cut.

2 minutes ago, MKnight82 said:

He would still count $20 mil against the cap (which he will anyways) but cutting him won’t cost any more.

Yeah I mean there is just no way Bruce Allen would be willing to accept failure and cut losses while he can. Prolly just throw Doug Williams under the bus or something.

Archived