Alex Smith

lavar703

10 minutes ago, lavar703 said:

Tom Brady is 41 and has 7 more TDs, 700 more yards, higher passer rating and higher completion percentage. So if you think that’s rough for Brady what the hell does that mean for Smith? 

Alex is just a winner ok, he doesn’t need empty stats like Brady

On 11/6/2018 at 2:05 PM, Woz said:

Not having your Pro Bowl LT and losing your starting two guards during the game (as well as having your RT miss a bit of time and then lose his mind) is incredibly difficult for any team regardless of the quarterback under center. I get that.

So, what happened against the Colts and Saints?

With Alex Smith at the helm, this team has to get ahead early and then grind the opponent down with the run game and a stout defense. There's no other way it can win. With those aforementioned injuries, that's basically not possible any more.

Been covered a lot what happened in the Colts and Saints game.

Also, players do have bad games or struggle at times when their pieces are constantly changing around them and on top of that it’s their first year in a new scheme. 

Eventhough Alex is a vet and has been through every offense and has had now 5 or 6 different coordinations in his career, he and Gruden/this passing offense still need time to click.

I’m not sure why anyone would expect an automatic transition and for our passing offense to just click and look exactly like what it did in 2015 & 16, notice I didn’t say 2017 bc our passing offense isn’t that far off from that despite our former QB having been in the 4th year of Gruden’s offense and Alex just bing in the first.

Anyways, I fully expected growing pains. Even if the offense was healthy and Alex and his weapons got to play consistently together for a month plus w/o many of them getting injured.

Sadly, that hasn’t happened. 

Most QBs struggle if they’re missing 2 of their top 3 receiving options for a month during the season. We have seen our former QB go from having a great October and November the previous two seasons to looking at times like ish in December in 2016 & 17. 

You know, when CT got hurt, and Reed got hurt in the previous two seasons? And the OL fell apart last year too, which also contributed to our former QB not being as good in Dec.

I just think sometimes people have amnesia, I don’t get it. Maybe it’s selective memory or something. I don’t know.

I’d really like to see the playmakers all out there together for at least a consistent month before I make any premature judgements that our passing offense will never be good with Alex as our QB. I think it’s a pretty bold statement to say our passing offense will NEVER look good with Alex as our starter, it just seems like a check that those saying won’t be able to cash next year or the year after.

5 hours ago, Jeezy Fanatic said:

Alex is just a winner ok, he doesn’t need empty stats like Brady

Brady has been in the same offense for nearly 20 years, do you and @lavar703 not think that matters?

Consistency in a passing offense from HC to OC to QB is paramount and the Patriots have been a model of it.

And before you say oh well the QB playing for the team up North, I’ll just point out that it hasn’t all been roses, he’s had a few stinkers and he did while he was here also.

I guess I’d equate the way some feel about Cousins now is how they would feel about an ex-gf or whatever. When they think about that time together, most of the memories are the good ones, the bad ones are surpressed or whatever. 

9 hours ago, turtle28 said:

Brady has been in the same offense for nearly 20 years, do you and @lavar703 not think that matters?

Consistency in a passing offense from HC to OC to QB is paramount and the Patriots have been a model of it.

And before you say oh well the QB playing for the team up North, I’ll just point out that it hasn’t all been roses, he’s had a few stinkers and he did while he was here also.

I guess I’d equate the way some feel about Cousins now is how they would feel about an ex-gf or whatever. When they think about that time together, most of the memories are the good ones, the bad ones are surpressed or whatever. 

I think Alex Smith sucks. Me thinking Alex Smith sucks has nothing to do with Kirk Cousins, Tom Brady or Joe Montana’s grandma. So stop bringing up other QBs when trying to make a point and then deflecting when your point goes backwards. 

3 minutes ago, lavar703 said:

I think Alex Smith sucks. Me thinking Alex Smith sucks has nothing to do with Kirk Cousins, Tom Brady or Joe Montana’s grandma. So stop bringing up other QBs when trying to make a point and then deflecting when your point goes backwards. 

Also don't forget the comparison should be Alex Smith vs. Kirk Cousins, Kendall Fuller + a 3rd round prospect.  

25 minutes ago, MKnight82 said:

Also don't forget the comparison should be Alex Smith vs. Kirk Cousins, Kendall Fuller + a 3rd round prospect.  

Man don't remind me.  The Walrus did it to us again.  And if we did it to save a lot of money I maybe would have forgiven this front office.  

On 11/15/2018 at 3:13 AM, turtle28 said:

Eventhough Alex is a vet and has been through every offense and has had now 5 or 6 different coordinations in his career, he and Gruden/this passing offense still need time to click.

The Redskins are entering their 10th game on Sunday. They had OTAs, minicamps, training camp, preseason, and now nine regular season games. When does the passing game click? When does this excuse stop being acceptable? After this season? The 2019 season? The 2020 season?

I’m not sure why anyone would expect an automatic transition and for our passing offense to just click and look exactly like what it did in 2016 & 17, notice I didn’t say 2018 bc our passing offense isn’t that far off from that despite our former QB having been in the 4th year of Gruden’s offense and Alex just bing in the first.

I thought the whole point of bringing in Alex Smith was that his veteran savvy would allow the Redskins to have their offense keep moving so they could absorb the loss of Cousins. If his veteran presence wasn't going to do that and he would need a year plus (?) to get the offense back to where it was, then the trade for Smith looks less and less valuable.

Anyways, I fully expected growing pains. Even if the offense was healthy and Alex and his weapons got to play consistently together for a month plus w/o many of them getting injured.

This is news to me.

Most QBs struggle if they’re missing 2 of their top 3 receiving options for a month during the season. We have seen our former QB go from having a great October and November the previous two seasons to looking at times like ish in December in 2016 & 17. 

You know, when CT got hurt, and Reed got hurt in the previous two seasons? And the OL fell apart last year too, which also contributed to our former QB not being as good in Dec.

I just think sometimes people have amnesia, I don’t get it. Maybe it’s selective memory or something. I don’t know.

If Smith had been playing well prior to the injuries and then fallen off, then this would be a reasonable explanation. But he wasn't. He was just as bad in week one and two as he is now. I suppose that can be a facet of his veteran savvy; he can absorb injuries around him due his conservative play.

I’d really like to see the playmakers all out there together for at least a consistent month before I make any premature judgements that our passing offense will never be good with Alex as our QB. I think it’s a pretty bold statement to say our passing offense will NEVER look good with Alex as our starter, it just seems like a check that those saying won’t be able to cash next year or the year after.

1. While that would be nice, at some point you have to evaluate Smith based on his play with what he's playing with.
  2. Given the known injury histories of guys like Trent Williams, Shawn Lauvao, Morgan Moses, and Paul Richarson, you had to figure that they would be missing in action at some point.

On 11/15/2018 at 1:25 PM, lavar703 said:

This just is not the truth, he’s clearly playing average right now and that’s without 2 of his top WR options, CT & Crowder.

8 hours ago, Woz said:

The Redskins are entering their 10th game on Sunday. They had OTAs, minicamps, training camp, preseason, and now nine regular season games. When does the passing game click? When does this excuse stop being acceptable? After this season? The 2019 season? The 2020 season?

I thought the whole point of bringing in Alex Smith was that his veteran savvy would allow the Redskins to have their offense keep moving so they could absorb the loss of Cousins. If his veteran presence wasn't going to do that and he would need a year plus (?) to get the offense back to where it was, then the trade for Smith looks less and less valuable.

This is news to me.

If Smith had been playing well prior to the injuries and then fallen off, then this would be a reasonable explanation. But he wasn't. He was just as bad in week one and two as he is now. I suppose that can be a facet of his veteran savvy; he can absorb injuries around him due his conservative play.

1. While that would be nice, at some point you have to evaluate Smith based on his play with what he's playing with.
  2. Given the known injury histories of guys like Trent Williams, Shawn Lauvao, Morgan Moses, and Paul Richarson, you had to figure that they would be missing in action at some point.

I expected growing pains with Smith. I constantly stated how our offense has started slow for as long as I can remember the first month of the season. Especially in 2015-2017. So, I expected the same to happen for Alex especially with him being new and the offense also being new to PRich.

Sure I expected guys to have injuries, that’s football. I didn’t expect 3 of our starters to be out for the year in one game and before the half way point of the season. I also didn’t expect Crowder to miss over a month.

We took a lot of risks this past off-season, and when you do that, things become boom or bust.  Sadly, it's all pretty much been a bust.  

Alex Smith- when does Father Time hit him?  We gave up a lot to get him- huge risk investing $71 million guaranteed in a 34 year old quarterback, on top of giving up Kendall Fuller, a third round draft choice and letting Kirk Cousins go.  

Chris Thompson- counting on him to stay healthy despite a risk of injury history?  Big risk.  Peterson has been a god send in the wake of Guice's injury, but counting on Thompson being a huge weapon coming back from ACL surgery was a risk.  

Paul Richardson- we guaranteed $20 million to a receiver who had a history of injury and had only one decent season.  Again, big risk here.  This offense has been lacking downfield ability since Desean Jackson left, and they were hoping Richardson would be the guy.  They were wrong. 

Josh Doctson- we were banking on Doctson taking a step forward.  Big risk.  He hasn't done so.  It looks like they really want to phase him out, but with injuries, he keeps getting put back into the lineup and continues to drop passes and play much smaller than his size indicates.  

Interior Line- we let Spencer Long go at center, and did not sign anyone.  Chase Roullier has been below average.  Shaun Lauvao has continually battled injuries with us, and not only did we re-sign him to start, but the depth behind him was so low that we signed a guy off the street to make a start.  Very risky for a team that wants to control the football, run and operate playaction.  

4 hours ago, turtle28 said:

I expected growing pains with Smith. I constantly stated how our offense has started slow for as long as I can remember the first month of the season. Especially in 2015-2017. So, I expected the same to happen for Alex especially with him being new and the offense also being new to PRich.

Sure I expected guys to have injuries, that’s football. I didn’t expect 3 of our starters to be out for the year in one game and before the half way point of the season. I also didn’t expect Crowder to miss over a month.

This is what the lack of reps Alex and most of our 1st unit received in preseason is gonna get you. Smith should've step up and said hey coach I'm new here and haven't got things down just yet, can I get some more reps? Or Gruden should've seen that and made the call. We are going into week 11 with a Vet at QB! I'm tired of the excuses. This is what these guys are paid to do.

Consistent contenders don't make excuses. Seattle just beat Greenbay without Thomas or Chancellor playing for that secondary, but your here making excuses for a Vet QB who got 70 million guaranteed to take us farther than Cousins could and it seems he can't. Injuries happen for all teams. You think McVay will make excuses now that Kupp is hurt? For these growing pains your claiming to know would come, the better move would've been just to pay Cousins. 

You guys REALLY think Alex was brought in to improve the offense?

That's silly talk.

He was brought in cause he wins. He was brought in cause he doesn't choke under pressure. He was brought in cause he's a leader and well respected around the league. He was brought in cause he's a team player & stats mean nothing to him with the exception to turnovers.

He's goes to his coach when he has problems, not his agent.

See, Alex don't care if "you like that"! His teammates like that & that's what matters to him. Winning!!

So when some of you are still complaining about the QB position during your Thanksgiving turkey?

I'll be thinking to myself how we can have the Division wrapped up, by beating Philly that following Mon. Night game & possibly home field advantage if the Rams & Saints lose a couple more games for us.

Then, I'll be grinning ear-to-ear as Cousins probably hits 5000 yards passing & everyone is mystified why the Vikings missed out on the Playoffs after such a pro bowl type year & a championship type roster.

And if the price to not sign Cousins & be hamstrung to a 100M dollar contract & 5 more years of mediocracy & no Playoff football in our future, was Fuller & a 3rd rd pick?

For a game manager who simply only cares about winning & provides it?

I'll take that every day of the week & twice on Sunday.😎

What this film break down.  if you don't come away sick from it you are not a Redskins fan.  On almost every passing play Smith has a wide open receiver to go to and either misses or doesn't see him.  Even the TD to Doctson, he could have hit a wide open Bibbs a second earlier. The dude is trash.  That is all we can say at this time.

Archived