Alex Smith

lavar703

10 hours ago, Skins212689 said:

This is what the lack of reps Alex and most of our 1st unit received in preseason is gonna get you. Smith should've step up and said hey coach I'm new here and haven't got things down just yet, can I get some more reps? Or Gruden should've seen that and made the call. We are going into week 11 with a Vet at QB! I'm tired of the excuses. This is what these guys are paid to do.

Consistent contenders don't make excuses. Seattle just beat Greenbay without Thomas or Chancellor playing for that secondary, but your here making excuses for a Vet QB who got 70 million guaranteed to take us farther than Cousins could and it seems he can't. Injuries happen for all teams. You think McVay will make excuses now that Kupp is hurt? For these growing pains your claiming to know would come, the better move would've been just to pay Cousins. 

Would it have mattered that much? Didn’t Doctson, Crowder, CT & Reed all miss a lot of time in o4 all of the preseason? AD wasn’t on the team yet either.

See, when your targets aren’t out there it’s impossible to get in a rhythm with them. I guess Alex & PRich could’ve gotten in a rhythm but from what I could tell until PRich was some for the year, those two didn’t have a chemistry issue. It’s been more with the incumbent targets.

Re-signing Cousins long term went out the door after we first franchised him in 2016. I ignored the truth that Lavar spoke for the next two years, that we should’ve trade Cousins - like McCloughan wanted to do after Cousins’ first franchise tag - because the front office didn’t want to sign him to a long term deal in 2016 playing him on avg $20 m a year - which Cousins  wanted - and after Cousins didn’t get that, he seemed skeptical if he wanted to stay. 

1 hour ago, TheGreeK1973 said:

What this film break down.  if you don't come away sick from it you are not a Redskins fan.  On almost every passing play Smith has a wide open receiver to go to and either misses or doesn't see him.  Even the TD to Doctson, he could have hit a wide open Bibbs a second earlier. The dude is trash.  That is all we can say at this time.

No doubt Alex should’ve hit those 2 plays, but it’s 2 plays? 2 plays in the entire game? For example, As good as AD is I can’t point out two decisions he made on cuts which cost him more yards and possible a TD but you don’t hear me complain do you?

You know why? We won! On to the next one.

People did this to the former QB for 3 years that didn’t like him and we’re still infatuated with RG3 from 2015-2017, don’t be that guy.

The film is very short, the point is he had a lot of plays that receivers were open.  He is missing open recievers, he is not seeing open receivers, he is very nervous in the pocket. This from a 14 year veteran dude.  And you know that last QB i adored and honestly pissed me off so much we didn't lock him up I didn't even feel watching the off season this year.  

1 hour ago, TheGreeK1973 said:

The film is very short, the point is he had a lot of plays that receivers were open.  He is missing open recievers, he is not seeing open receivers, he is very nervous in the pocket. This from a 14 year veteran dude.  And you know that last QB i adored and honestly pissed me off so much we didn't lock him up I didn't even feel watching the off season this year.  

He didn’t miss “a lot of WRs” on some plays he’s seeing something pre-snap, goes there and then something else goes uncovered but he has already gone with his pre-snap read. This stuff happens with All QBs, I’ve said for years it’s easy to be an armchair qb after the game but the truth is all QBs aren’t going to make the perfect play every game, every play.

This same narrative you’re using was used against the former QB for 4 years, and the QB before that for 2 years after his great 2012 rookie season. 

If you’re not willing to go through some misses and mistakes with a QB then you’re never going to be satisfied as a fan because they’re not robots. 

5 hours ago, aceinthehouse said:

You guys REALLY think Alex was brought in to improve the offense?

That's silly talk.

He was brought in cause he wins. He was brought in cause he doesn't choke under pressure. He was brought in cause he's a leader and well respected around the league. He was brought in cause he's a team player & stats mean nothing to him with the exception to turnovers.

He's goes to his coach when he has problems, not his agent.

See, Alex don't care if "you like that"! His teammates like that & that's what matters to him. Winning!!

So when some of you are still complaining about the QB position during your Thanksgiving turkey?

I'll be thinking to myself how we can have the Division wrapped up, by beating Philly that following Mon. Night game & possibly home field advantage if the Rams & Saints lose a couple more games for us.

Then, I'll be grinning ear-to-ear as Cousins probably hits 5000 yards passing & everyone is mystified why the Vikings missed out on the Playoffs after such a pro bowl type year & a championship type roster.

And if the price to not sign Cousins & be hamstrung to a 100M dollar contract & 5 more years of mediocracy & no Playoff football in our future, was Fuller & a 3rd rd pick?

For a game manager who simply only cares about winning & provides it?

I'll take that every day of the week & twice on Sunday.😎

Alex Smith: 4 years, $94 million $71 million guaranteed

Kirk Cousins: 3 years, $84 million all guaranteed 

Now, if you follow the guaranteed math on the Alex Smith deal, it all comes before year four.  So no guaranteed money is due in year four.  Essentially we could've paid $13 million more and kept Kirk Cousins after all of this.  And while I am not nearly as familiar about the worth of assets in the NFL like I am for MLB, I am sure Kendall Fuller (and his cheap contract) and the third round pick (and that cheap contract) are worth at least the $13 million difference.  Oh, and we got much older at the position too. 

Did we really upgrade?  Looking at the sometimes dreadful performance of this offense, I'd argue not.  

32 minutes ago, naptownskinsfan said:

Now, if you follow the guaranteed math on the Alex Smith deal, it all comes before year four.  So no guaranteed money is due in year four.  Essentially we could've paid $13 million more and kept Kirk Cousins after all of this.  And while I am not nearly as familiar about the worth of assets in the NFL like I am for MLB, I am sure Kendall Fuller (and his cheap contract) and the third round pick (and that cheap contract) are worth at least the $13 million difference.  Oh, and we got much older at the position too. 

Did we really upgrade?  Looking at the sometimes dreadful performance of this offense, I'd argue not.  

At first I thought we upgraded with Smith’s ability to extend plays. I never considered him an upgrade in the passing department but I figured Gruden could scheme things to take advantage of Smith’s legs. I think at this point even Gruden is getting frustrated. While I don’t consider him a brilliant head coach, he’s a tremendous OC.

I also think they’ve sort of backed themselves into a corner at receiver. They almost have to draft one and the signing of Richardson isn’t looking so hot. If it were me, I’d cut Richardson, re-sign Crowder and draft Hollywood Brown. The main reason I’d dump Richardson is due to his injury history dating all the way back to college which yet again reared it’s ugly head. Doctson appears to finally be developing even though he’ll necer be what we thought he was going to be. 

1 hour ago, lavar703 said:

At first I thought we upgraded with Smith’s ability to extend plays. I never considered him an upgrade in the passing department but I figured Gruden could scheme things to take advantage of Smith’s legs. I think at this point even Gruden is getting frustrated. While I don’t consider him a brilliant head coach, he’s a tremendous OC.

I also think they’ve sort of backed themselves into a corner at receiver. They almost have to draft one and the signing of Richardson isn’t looking so hot. If it were me, I’d cut Richardson, re-sign Crowder and draft Hollywood Brown. The main reason I’d dump Richardson is due to his injury history dating all the way back to college which yet again reared it’s ugly head. Doctson appears to finally be developing even though he’ll necer be what we thought he was going to be. 

Andy Reid and Matt Naggy used a lot of zone read and RPO with Alex Smith last year. Alex used it a lot dating back to college with Urban Meyer. When we use it, Smith is money. We need to use that more and then it should open up play action pass for him to hit something downfield to Doctson or Harris.

As far as WR goes, I’d draft a WR in round 1 or 2, re-sign Crowder, and cut Richardson after next season, unless he balls out next season.

Bruce Allen & Schaefer put an out in PRich’s contract after two years aka the 2019 season. We can let him go after two years.

7 hours ago, aceinthehouse said:

You guys REALLY think Alex was brought in to improve the offense?

That's silly talk.

He was brought in cause he wins. He was brought in cause he doesn't choke under pressure. He was brought in cause he's a leader and well respected around the league. He was brought in cause he's a team player & stats mean nothing to him with the exception to turnovers.

He's goes to his coach when he has problems, not his agent.

See, Alex don't care if "you like that"! His teammates like that & that's what matters to him. Winning!!

So when some of you are still complaining about the QB position during your Thanksgiving turkey?

I'll be thinking to myself how we can have the Division wrapped up, by beating Philly that following Mon. Night game & possibly home field advantage if the Rams & Saints lose a couple more games for us.

Then, I'll be grinning ear-to-ear as Cousins probably hits 5000 yards passing & everyone is mystified why the Vikings missed out on the Playoffs after such a pro bowl type year & a championship type roster.

And if the price to not sign Cousins & be hamstrung to a 100M dollar contract & 5 more years of mediocracy & no Playoff football in our future, was Fuller & a 3rd rd pick?

For a game manager who simply only cares about winning & provides it?

I'll take that every day of the week & twice on Sunday.😎

This is why Synder has no SBs and Allen had three as a owner! Allen didn't seem to just like getting to playoffs, he also liked winning in the playoffs! Skins have won how many playoff games in the last 10 years? I thought the goal was to win SB's not Thanksgiving games against the damn Cowgirls. 

1 hour ago, naptownskinsfan said:

Kirk wasn’t staying!

4 hours ago, turtle28 said:

Would it have mattered that much? Didn’t Doctson, CT & Reed all miss a lot of time in the preseason? AD wasn’t on the team yet either.

See, when your targets aren’t out there it’s impossible to get in a rhythm in them.

Re-signing Cousins long term went out the door after we first franchised him in 2016. I ignored the truth that Lavar spoke for the next two years, that we should’ve trade Cousins - like McCloughan wanted to do after Cousins’ first franchise tag - because the front office didn’t want to sign him to a long term deal in 2016 playing him on avg $20 m a year - which Cousins  wanted - and after Cousins didn’t get that, he seemed skeptical if he wanted to stay. 

Your still making excuses! Alot of the guys on teams right now weren't with their current team in the preseason, but that doesn't effect good/great players. Mack wasn't a Bear but guess what when it was time to go, Mack did what Mack could do along Be Great. Maybe you should just come to grips with the Fact Smith is a downgrade to Cousins as of right now. Thats the Truth. Agree to Disagree if need be. 

28 minutes ago, turtle28 said:

Kirk wasn’t staying!

That's on the organization! They should've traded him if they didn't want to pay him. O yea right were not smart like Bill and the Patriots. We had Bruce getting jealous and bashing our GM. I would've traded him to the 49ers for that 2nd overall pick in 2017. You know the same year the Bears traded up for Trubisky. We would've been that the team they traded with. Also Mahomes and Waston fell in that draft. Who else fell Allen. We couldve had Allen and Waston or Mahomes in one draft possibly. 

1 hour ago, Skins212689 said:

That's on the organization! They should've traded him if they didn't want to pay him. O yea right were not smart like Bill and the Patriots. We had Bruce getting jealous and bashing our GM. I would've traded him to the 49ers for that 2nd overall pick in 2017. You know the same year the Bears traded up for Trubisky. We would've been that the team they traded with. Also Mahomes and Waston fell in that draft. Who else fell Allen. We couldve had Allen and Waston or Mahomes in one draft possibly. 

It’s a combination of both. First of all, Kirk wasn’t happy he was drafted by the Redskins bc they had just traded up to take RG3. The front office loved RG3, the head coach then loved RG3 in 2012, Kirk was always an afterthought until Robert kept underperforming and getting hurt after 2012. Despite that, Kirk barely played and got benched by Gruden for Colt Mccoy in 2014 bc of 7 bad ints in 2 games and one bad first half int vs the Titans. Gruden said publicly that Kirk had confidence issues and he didn’t take another snap all year.

2015 Kirk did well after a rough start the first 5 or 6 games. Then, he was underwhelming in the home playoff game vs the Packers, of course that wasn’t all his fault. The team wasn’t ready to commit to $20 m avg per year for Kirk that next offseason which most in Redskins Nation agreed with, I didn’t, I wanted them to sign him to a 4 or 5 year deal w/ $40-45 mil guaranteed  but they didn’t. Then he got franchised and they should’ve traded him - McClough said so - and in retrospect he was right.

They could’ve traded him to a handful of teams and at least got a 1st or 2nd round pick for him. Kirk had a better resume than Jimmy G when Jimmy G. was traded.

2 hours ago, Skins212689 said:

Your still making excuses! Alot of the guys on teams right now weren't with their current team in the preseason, but that doesn't effect good/great players. Mack wasn't a Bear but guess what when it was time to go, Mack did what Mack could do along Be Great. Maybe you should just come to grips with the Fact Smith is a downgrade to Cousins as of right now. Thats the Truth. Agree to Disagree if need be. 

That’s not a fair comparison. Mack does one thing, rushes the passer. 

Its not the same as trying to run a passing offense w/o 3 of your 4 top passing weapons.

Actually, if you look at what Kirk did last year this far in the season, last season Kirk’s stats aren’t that much more than Alex’s.  

Alex has only had 400 less yards through 9 games (only 45 yds a game), 4 less TDs (.5 a game) and 5 less turnover through the same amount of games as Kirk did last year but Kirk didn’t have a running back averaging 17 carries a game who also has 4 TDs.

Alex is not as good of a passer as Kirk, that’s true, but he’s better in other ways. He’s more mobile and he hasn’t been a downgrade in one key state, turnovers! Alex has 5 less turnovers than Kirk had through 9 games. That’s a huge reason we have won 6 games beyond what our D and AD have done.

Archived