How would you use the Le'Veon sized chunk of cap space that will free up this offseason?

grubs10

How do you EXPECT the Steelers to use the money they won't be spending on Le'Veon Bell going forward  

13 members have voted

1. 1. Take out those crystal balls. How will the Steelers end up using the money they won't be spending on Le'Veon Bell going forward

• They will aggressively get the defensive star that will take this team to the next level.
    • They will wisely find a few under the radar guys to fill holes and add depth and versatility to give our defense some new dimensions.
    • They will foolishly commit big longterm money to a player who can't live up to the contract or take us to the next level.
    • They will overpay on a couple guys who fit the mold of players we already have on this team and fail to address our weaknesses.
    • Other.

3 minutes ago, Dcash4 said:

😳

Yes, Cam Chancellor, Earl Thomas, and Richard Sherman are the same as Artie Burns, Mike Mitchell, and Coty Sensabaugh. 

ok, let me clarify, please :o Heyward, Tuitt, Shazier and perhaps Harrison to a degree. Secondary speaking, we only have Haden to mention O.o    Different part of the D, but still partially responsible for helping a player with stats.  If I had a choice between Irvin and dupree, it's Irvin no contest and it doesn't matter if the raiders released him for whatever reason. I would have liked the signing, it would have  helped the team. 

26 minutes ago, 3rivers said:

ok, let me clarify, please :o Heyward, Tuitt, Shazier and perhaps Harrison to a degree. Secondary speaking, we only have Haden to mention O.o    Different part of the D, but still partially responsible for helping a player with stats.  If I had a choice between Irvin and dupree, it's Irvin no contest and it doesn't matter if the raiders released him for whatever reason. I would have liked the signing, it would have  helped the team. 

Would you like me to list their players from the Bruce Irvin time period or are you good to google that on your own? 

The Seahawks had the far better defensive roster. It’s not close. At all. 

52 minutes ago, Dcash4 said:

Would you like me to list their players from the Bruce Irvin time period or are you good to google that on your own? 

The Seahawks had the far better defensive roster. It’s not close. At all. 

no need to. Would you rather have dupree or Irvin on this team?

4 minutes ago, 3rivers said:

Honestly I have to answer that question with both. Allow me to explain. Chief brought this up earlier is you really consider both players they are essentially the same guy. I wouldn't necessarily want Bruce Irvin is Bud Dupree was not on the team because my original line of thinking was letting him split snaps with Bud Dupree 50/50. It keeps the production that you are getting from Bud Dupree constant because they are essentially the same type of player and it keeps them both very fresh. But at the same time in a perfect world I wouldn't want bud Dupree without Bruce Irvin if hypothetically Bruce Irvin was the guy on our team and not Bud Dupree for the exact same reason

21 minutes ago, 3rivers said:

Dupree has been here and doesn’t cost us additional cap. That’s pretty much my stipulation if it comes down to those two. Irvin is getting some weird sort of back up quarterback treatment here. Whenever a starter is not good, people immediately assume the backup is better. People don’t like Dupree, so any and all OLB with a pulse seem like an immediate, hands down upgrade. 

Irvin isn’t anything better than average, which I believe is what Dupree is as well. Give me the guy who has been here. Wouldn’t have minded him as a third OLB, but if I have to choose either or, I’ll stick with Dupree. 

7 minutes ago, Dcash4 said:

Dupree has been here and doesn’t cost us additional cap. That’s pretty much my stipulation if it comes down to those two. Irvin is getting some weird sort of back up quarterback treatment here. Whenever a starter is not good, people immediately assume the backup is better. People don’t like Dupree, so any and all OLB with a pulse seem like an immediate, hands down upgrade. 

Irvin isn’t anything better than average, which I believe is what Dupree is as well. Give me the guy who has been here. Wouldn’t have minded him as a third OLB, but if I have to choose either or, I’ll stick with Dupree. 

Ok, I didn't originally think that was your view. I hope dupree keeps improving, at least he tried a spin move last week,  and the effort is there.  kevin Greene for OLB coach in 2019 regardless who the OLB's are. 

Are there any CB's out there we could sign that could help the team?

3 minutes ago, 3rivers said:

Ok, I didn't originally think that was your view. I hope dupree keeps improving, at least he tried a spin move last week,  and the effort is there.  kevin Greene for OLB coach in 2019 regardless who the OLB's are. 

Are there any CB's out there we could sign that could help the team?

There is one that I'm shocked was never signed by anybody and I'm kind of curious as to why. David Amerson is still not on a team.

17 minutes ago, wwhickok said:

There is one that I'm shocked was never signed by anybody and I'm kind of curious as to why. David Amerson is still not on a team.

maybe he can help us like NKM has helped the colts and be rated high in PFF xD. Would you say Amerson is better than Coty or Burns?

Just now, 3rivers said:

maybe he can help us like NKM has helped the colts and be rated high in PFF xD. Would you say Amerson is better than Coty or Burns?

Honestly I don't know. I mean he's fast he had flashes in Oakland but I know that he never lived up to the hype. I mean honestly I don't know if he's better than either of those guys so I don't know if there'd be any value in signing somebody like that but if kolbert thought he was better I'd absolutely be in favor of that signing for a 8 game prove it deal or whatever but honestly I think the biggest thing that we need is a linebacker more than anything and I say that because I've said this a million dimes eye dominant front seven makes the job of any secondary easier. The problem is I'm not sure that there is a linebacker out there as a free agent that would really help us at this point. Having said that I will say this much I do not believe that Oakland and some other teams that are going nowhere fast are done cutting players so keep an eye on that as the season progresses

Sorry, but Watt and Dupree have been playing pretty consistent this year, they did not just play good for one game. It is only in the last 3 games that the defensive line have stepped up their play. Tuitt was invisible out there the first 5 games. Then he entered last nights game on a hot streak of 3 games with one sack. Cam was quiet for those 3 games but had 2 sacks against Carolina.

I would say if anything, that teams have had to deal with Watt and Dupree being so good that it is making it easier for our D-line to get sacks/pressure. There is an ebb and flow to it but now the defense seems to be finding its stride and they really need to hammer out coverages and the players in the secondary.

Back to Dupree, yeah, I think he is much improved and for me he has played himself up to a Jason Worilds level. Not a Lamar Woodley or James Harrison or Joey Porter but still very good and somebody you can win with, who does not need to be replaced, who can get better. I see the Steelers keeping him and signing him to a 5 year, $35-40 million deal in the offseason, that 5th year option of $9.2 million will disappear and he will have a low cap hit of some $4-5 million next season.

In terms of the duo of Watt and Dupree, you can argue all you want that they are not worthy of Harrison/Woodley but they are getting pretty close???

Harrison and Woodley's two best seasons together came in 2008-2009. They combined for 27.5 sacks in 2008 and 23.5 sacks in 2009. Watt and Dupree have combined for 12.5 sacks through 9 games and are on pace for 22.5.

Dupree has 4 passes defensed, 1 INT that he returned for a TD, in the Cleveland game he forced a safety by being held as he was going to sack Mayfield in the end zone. That is 9 points right there that Dupree added to the scoreboard. But wait it gets better!!!

Not to be outdone, Watt has forced two turnovers/situations by his pressure that led to two defensive TDs. He had a sack/forced fumble against Atlanta's Matt Ryan and the LJ Fort recovered it in the end zone for a TD. Watt in the Carolina game was going to sack Newton in the end zone but instead forced him to throw the ball in desperation, Vince Willliams intercepts the ball and scored a TD. Watt's pressure help to generate 14 points.

So not only are Watt and Dupree getting sacks and pressure, but they are also the catalysts for the defense getting turnovers and scoring TDs. Throw in Artie Burns safety that he had against KC and this defense has generated 25 points this season.

Watt and Dupree are still so young and still learning on the job. This position change was for the best, both are in their natural spots and to me the only real issue is finding that 3rd OLB to back them up/rotate in and give them rest. Chick isn't the answer, maybe Oly Adeniyi will be who knows.

I am glad that we don't have to spend any more 1st or 2nd round picks at OLB anymore, at least for the foreseeable future. ILB and CB is what I spend my first and 2nd round picks on.

2 hours ago, jebrick said:

Sorry, but Watt and Dupree have been playing pretty consistent this year, they did not just play good for one game. It is only in the last 3 games that the defensive line have stepped up their play. Tuitt was invisible out there the first 5 games. Then he entered last nights game on a hot streak of 3 games with one sack. Cam was quiet for those 3 games but had 2 sacks against Carolina.

I would say if anything, that teams have had to deal with Watt and Dupree being so good that it is making it easier for our D-line to get sacks/pressure. There is an ebb and flow to it but now the defense seems to be finding its stride and they really need to hammer out coverages and the players in the secondary.

Back to Dupree, yeah, I think he is much improved and for me he has played himself up to a Jason Worilds level. Not a Lamar Woodley or James Harrison or Joey Porter but still very good and somebody you can win with, who does not need to be replaced, who can get better. I see the Steelers keeping him and signing him to a 5 year, $35-40 million deal in the offseason, that 5th year option of $9.2 million will disappear and he will have a low cap hit of some $4-5 million next season.

In terms of the duo of Watt and Dupree, you can argue all you want that they are not worthy of Harrison/Woodley but they are getting pretty close???

Harrison and Woodley's two best seasons together came in 2008-2009. They combined for 27.5 sacks in 2008 and 23.5 sacks in 2009. Watt and Dupree have combined for 12.5 sacks through 9 games and are on pace for 22.5.

Dupree has 4 passes defensed, 1 INT that he returned for a TD, in the Cleveland game he forced a safety by being held as he was going to sack Mayfield in the end zone. That is 9 points right there that Dupree added to the scoreboard. But wait it gets better!!!

Not to be outdone, Watt has forced two turnovers/situations by his pressure that led to two defensive TDs. He had a sack/forced fumble against Atlanta's Matt Ryan and the LJ Fort recovered it in the end zone for a TD. Watt in the Carolina game was going to sack Newton in the end zone but instead forced him to throw the ball in desperation, Vince Willliams intercepts the ball and scored a TD. Watt's pressure help to generate 14 points.

So not only are Watt and Dupree getting sacks and pressure, but they are also the catalysts for the defense getting turnovers and scoring TDs. Throw in Artie Burns safety that he had against KC and this defense has generated 25 points this season.

Watt and Dupree are still so young and still learning on the job. This position change was for the best, both are in their natural spots and to me the only real issue is finding that 3rd OLB to back them up/rotate in and give them rest. Chick isn't the answer, maybe Oly Adeniyi will be who knows.

I am glad that we don't have to spend any more 1st or 2nd round picks at OLB anymore, at least for the foreseeable future. ILB and CB is what I spend my first and 2nd round picks on.

I think another thing a lot of people don’t realize with Dupree is that he should have another 3-4 sacks on the stat sheet this year from when he was blatantly held by OTs to prevent him from getting easy sacks.

I personally see a vast improvement.  Like you said he is not a world beater, but much better than a handful of folks on here give him credit for. 

I do agree that Dupree has improved and I also will fight that the numbers for a contract you provided @jebrick should be accurate for an average NFL player in today’s league....but I don’t think it should be from us. 

I think too much of his success has been manufactured. He has also had the benefit of playing against grocery bagging OTs all year (the Browns UDFA rookie twice, the ravens UDFA backup, whoever that was against the panthers) and he still had mediocre Stats. 

Dupree doesn’t win enough by himself for me to say he is worth paying as a cost above replacement difference of $4M +. The reason our D-Line hasn’t seems as dominant was how often we stunted them with our OLB so they could manufacture pressure. If we can get in a world where our front 4 are good enough by themselves to win individually and without rush help, this team would be in a great place. 

You could talk me into a long term deal with Dupree being in our best interests, but I think we are better off signing a 1-2 year vet place holder and drafting a pass rusher with more upside as a stand-alone rusher in the first 3 rounds instead of paying Dupree. I think this is Dupree’s ceiling, and I don’t think that’s good enough to pay. 

Someone like Clay Matthews on a cheap, let’s get a championship, deal and a guy on the rookie wage scale to me is worth it, because I don’t see Dupree getting much better than this and not being successful on his own. 

If he keeps it up all year against all levels of competition I’m perfectly fine with letting his 5th year option ride. But I would be afraid of paying for an average player that, personally, I think we could easily replace with AT LEAST another average player— hopefully, with more upside. 

5 hours ago, MOSteelers56 said:

I’m not sure why everyone keeps talking  about who Bud is beating. Look at every star’s sacks and I bet the majority of them are against bad OT’s. 

Dupree is playing better as of late, but you'd still be foolish to give him a long term contract.   He is in somewhat of a contract year. and he is very similar to Jason Worilds in how he racks up sacks.

If you like him, I respect that, but he still isnt that good and we sure as hell shouldnt be tying up much money in him.   He is JAG in every sense of the word.

i would not be opposed to extending dupree bc this year he has definitely been on form and has earned an extension

if he can keep this play consistently up on the year then we’ve got a long term serviceable guy to go opposite watt, who’s showing again that he’s a star

i wonder what the free agent cb market looks like next year

burnett’s arrival on the field these past couple weeks looks to have helped davis as well as our deep secondary as a whole

Archived