How would you use the Le'Veon sized chunk of cap space that will free up this offseason?

grubs10

How do you EXPECT the Steelers to use the money they won't be spending on Le'Veon Bell going forward  

13 members have voted

1. 1. Take out those crystal balls. How will the Steelers end up using the money they won't be spending on Le'Veon Bell going forward

• They will aggressively get the defensive star that will take this team to the next level.
    • They will wisely find a few under the radar guys to fill holes and add depth and versatility to give our defense some new dimensions.
    • They will foolishly commit big longterm money to a player who can't live up to the contract or take us to the next level.
    • They will overpay on a couple guys who fit the mold of players we already have on this team and fail to address our weaknesses.
    • Other.

The first month of the season, Dupree looked like complete garbage...so now after a decent month, that makes him worthy of a new contract?

I dont get it.   IMO, common sense suggests that might not be the smartest idea.    We'll see how he finishes the season, though.

On 11/7/2018 at 1:11 PM, MOSteelers56 said:

This is exactly what I was saying. When people say he's only worth 3M it's stupid. That's rookie wages. If people think Bud is only worth $3M there are only a few reasons why. 1. They don't pay attention to anything other that the Steelers 2. They hate Bud Dupree so much that they let it blind them to how solid he's been 3. They're just dumb. 

I'm not calling anyone specifically dumb around here, but I'm saying people act so dumb when it comes to this team. I don't know if it is like this with other fanbases but it is crazy here. 

Once again....how much would you pay him?

32 minutes ago, FourThreeMafia said:

The first month of the season, Dupree looked like complete garbage...so now after a decent month, that makes him worthy of a new contract?

I dont get it.   IMO, common sense suggests that might not be the smartest idea.    We'll see how he finishes the season, though.

for me , the player needs to be consistently good to get a nice deal. $9m for what dupree has DONE, is way too much. Thats right now, but if he closes out the season good, then I would adjust that value accordingly.  I would prefer to allot such a cap towards a player that is proven such as Brandon Graham or if Justin Houston was released (and that could happen) .  

It's good to see dupree make some noise and serve some crow.  I expect him to have a better game vs wreck  flowers  and the jags.  We have a score to settle with he jags , so this better be even better than the panthers game xD That goes for the entire team

10 hours ago, MOSteelers56 said:

I’m not sure why everyone keeps talking  about who Bud is beating. Look at every star’s sacks and I bet the majority of them are against bad OT’s. 

I’m not sure how it’s not relevant. Sure elite players get sacks against lesser competition too, but guys like Von Miller tend to dominate that competition level. Bud has been okay to mediocre, which is an improvement for him, against below average guys. That’s a concern if you plan on paying him. 

Your about to potentially pay this guy $7-$8M a season. You really have to ask if he is really worth potentially $5M more than a replacement in a defense that has been good at manufacturing sacks. 

2 minutes ago, Dcash4 said:

I’m not sure how it’s not relevant. Sure elite players get sacks against lesser competition too, but guys like Von Miller tend to dominate that competition level. Bud has been okay to mediocre, which is an improvement for him, against below average guys. That’s a concern if you plan on paying him. 

Your about to potentially pay this guy $7-$8M a season. You really have to ask if he is really worth potentially $5M more than a replacement in a defense that has been good at manufacturing sacks. 

This is also why IO wanted Adeyini to get a chance to see what he brings. If he is comparable, then you already have someone not he roster, which helps going into the offseason.  That also goes for CB, Suton instead of coty and perhaps let B.Allen have a chance or 2.  Samuels probably will get a few chances the way the Offence has finally become elite

You all probably know that I wanted Sam Hubbard in the worst way in this draft.  I watched him a lot at Ohio State and he was a very intelligent player who was very assignment sound, always reading and diagnosing rather than just charging ahead......if he dropped 15 lbs, he's TJ Watt 2.0 in my eyes.  Could've had him in 3 (via a small trade up.....well actually after the Steelers did trade up for the QB, he was taken with the very next pick).  During that last game against the Panthers when Dupree showed zero contain or intelligence or awareness and went after Newton while McCaffrey shot right past him over and over, I was thinking that the smarter, more aware player in Hubbard would've been great there.  Sure he made plays after that as a pass rusher, but lets be real here.  Matt Kalil is a pathetic excuse of an NFL LT, and it was HIS backup that Dupree was destroying.  So that isn't saying anything for him to beat a scrub.  He also failed to even begin to bring down Newton one time when he got there, completely whiffing on the tackle.  So Dupree is still what he always was to me:  an athlete with a great burst, but virtually nothing else to write home about.  

IMO we should extend Ben 2 years, resign Hilton, and cut Artie Burns, Marcus Gilbert and probably Morgan Burnett.     I wouldnt mind seeing a short extension for Dupree along the lines of 3 years/$22m/$10m guaranteed...but any more than that would be stupid as hell.    Not even thrilled with paying him that much, but that would be ideal.    They should also try to extend Haden....something like 3 year/$30mil.      Foster will probably be resigned relatively cheaply.

With the right moves, I could see us having about $30m-40m in cap space after all those moves.    I would devote every last resource into acquiring the best LBs and secondary players we can get our hands on.     It would be amazing if we actually did tag Bell and trade him.   I dont see it happening, but it could put us in great position to fill those needs.

This is the offseason the team should go "all in" IMO.

1 hour ago, FourThreeMafia said:

IMO we should extend Ben 2 years, resign Hilton, and cut Artie Burns, Marcus Gilbert and probably Morgan Burnett.     I wouldnt mind seeing a short extension for Dupree along the lines of 3 years/$22m/$10m guaranteed...but any more than that would be stupid as hell.    Not even thrilled with paying him that much, but that would be ideal.    They should also try to extend Haden....something like 3 year/$30mil.      Foster will probably be resigned relatively cheaply.

With the right moves, I could see us having about $30m-40m in cap space after all those moves.    I would devote every last resource into acquiring the best LBs and secondary players we can get our hands on.     It would be amazing if we actually did tag Bell and trade him.   I dont see it happening, but it could put us in great position to fill those needs.

Do you see Feiler/Chuk as Gilbert's replacement or an early Rd. draft pick? Is Gilbert getting cut because of his cap hit (idk what it is) or is it production related? While I don't necessarily disagree with the strategy, I get nervous tinkering with the OL. 

10 minutes ago, Chieferific said:

Do you see Feiler/Chuk as Gilbert's replacement or an early Rd. draft pick? Is Gilbert getting cut because of his cap hit (idk what it is) or is it production related? While I don't necessarily disagree with the strategy, I get nervous tinkering with the OL. 

Both. Gilbert would represent a near $7mil savings, has reverted from near all pro to near all IR, and Feiler/Hubbard have filled in for him without a hit to protection. 

Manchuck can never go. Our OL right now is the best in the league with 2 1st round picks and 3 UDFA’s. Seattle has 5 1st/2nd round picks and they are trash. 

I’m a huge Gilbert fan...however I’d probably cut him due to cap savings....save $5 mill and eat $2 mill,

1 year left on deal...PED suspension, wrong side of 30 and continuous leg injuries...when healthy still solid.

My guess is if they cut Gilbert, they’ll sign Foster cheaply...not too much turnover on the OLA.

Wouldnt cut Burnett...plus you basically only save $3.5 mill and have to eat $3 mill.

Id look into extensions for Hilton and Davis this offseason too.

51 minutes ago, AlanFanecaFan said:

I’m a huge Gilbert fan...however I’d probably cut him due to cap savings....save $5 mill and eat $2 mill,

1 year left on deal...PED suspension, wrong side of 30 and continuous leg injuries...when healthy still solid.

My guess is if they cut Gilbert, they’ll sign Foster cheaply...not too much turnover on the OLA.

Wouldnt cut Burnett...plus you basically only save $3.5 mill and have to eat $3 mill.

I agree with all of this.  I definitely think it's time to move on from Gilbert.  He won't be on the market long if we cut him and that's okay, he isn't a bad OT, he just hasn't been healthy and it's money we can spend elsewhere because we have his replacement on the roster already.

4 hours ago, warfelg said:

Both. Gilbert would represent a near $7mil savings, has reverted from near all pro to near all IR, and Feiler/Hubbard have filled in for him without a hit to protection. 

Manchuck can never go. Our OL right now is the best in the league with 2 1st round picks and 3 UDFA’s. Seattle has 5 1st/2nd round picks and they are trash. 

I agree with this despite also seeing him as a legit pro bowler when health and I would prefer that he stays. He might get released or traded due to the cap and inability to stay on the field plus what Munchak has done with Feiler . Chuks holds too much, wait and see about him.  Could they restructure Gilbert for less? I doubt it, but maybe he would consider. 

Could Munchak have the best OL with 5 UDFA, maybe we will find out one dayxD  Seahawks and cardinals both have high RD picks on OL and not going well.  Penny had a good game for the hawks but he broke runs and the rams weren't good on those plays either. 

6 hours ago, FourThreeMafia said:

Yes!  But if they can get anything for him, why not trade the former RD1 pick from the U !

Bells tag cap space rolls over to next season from what I have read, so that helps us for next season.  If we transition tagged him,  would that effectively make it biddy / trade war with teams to get bell? If so, that might net us a good pick or maybe pick(s) B|

So how much cap space will we have? I suppose we could get a thread going on about the 2019 offseason since we have the cap from the franchise tag added to the 2019 offseason. 

Keep Finney and Foster if Foster is available for a decent price.  

Dupree needs to be more consistent and better for a new deal.  a few decent games vs scrubs doesn't get a new deal , lets be real . If we win the SB because of his play in the playoffs, then that's different. Still lots of games left so wait and see.

What CB UFA or trade do we get  in the off season and howe much  or what will that cost? 

1 hour ago, wwhickok said:

I agree with all of this.  I definitely think it's time to move on from Gilbert.  He won't be on the market long if we cut him and that's okay, he isn't a bad OT, he just hasn't been healthy and it's money we can spend elsewhere because we have his replacement on the roster already.

never thought I would agree a few years ago, but Munchak has a way of having legit OT's ready to start and not lose a step.  We can't say the same for the CB or OLB coach though

2 hours ago, AlanFanecaFan said:

Agree about Gilbert. I could go either way on Burnett, but it's possible. Not sure why you want to extend Davis though.

Archived