UPDATE: Lol nevermind, Harbaugh staying

SalvadorsDeli

2 hours ago, AFlaccoSeagulls said:

Obviously if we win the Superbowl we throw all the money at Joe and Harbaugh, go through another 6 years of being garbage and then win the Superbowl out of nowhere 7 years from now.

I’m down. I don’t think people realize that outside of the Patriots, we’ve been very fortunate in post season success. Two Super Bowl in the past 22 years is great success.

8 hours ago, diamondbull424 said:

Interesting. I think Harbaugh is more likely to go to the college football ranks where he can develop the mentality of younger players. That’s where he excels as a coach, in creating a team structure. It’s why his teams regardless of playoff births or not, have been very consistent. I doubt he goes to the Browns though, that would kind of be burning a bridge.

I think he either goes the route of college coach or he goes the route of being a high paid network analyst. He has a great energy and always has some great sound clips and if he feels being a college HC might have him too much on the road and away from his family, I could certainly see a network job being a great fit for his skillset as well.

8 hours ago, diamondbull424 said:

I think he’s still scourned from all those years ago. His career never rebounded afterwards.

There is truth in what he says. They complained and Harbaugh got rid of them. They were the leaders of that “mutiny” faction and could have led to a locker room dissolution in future seasons that could’ve left the team (or rather Harbaugh’s control of it) in disarray. That much is true. That culture of players having too much power over the locker room culture is what led to the inconsistencies within the Billick era and thus it was smart of Harbaugh to get rid of the bad fruit. The fact that the team, while not as successful, was more consistent does speak to that validation of that decision.

Whats more I’m sure some of that resentment comes from when Harbaugh was chosen over Rex Ryan, I’m sure those seeds of doubt/dislike are all things left over from that situation. With many of the defense having been Ryan’s guys and Ryan having had obvious issues with that situation.

But that all being said, the fact that Harbaugh has an ego and needs to have complete control of the team culture also is probably one of the major reasons that this team has such a weak mentality, that no true leaders have emerged under Harbaugh’s tenure, and why there haven’t been superstar talents that have developed under his era. His way of running the team has likely shunned individual achievement and recognition to the point where it’s hosed down player creativity and excellence (aka swagger).

Moved these into the head coach thread.

Anyways, Pollard is bringing it hard here. I agree that he's probably still sore from how things played out, and I think there was some friction at the time too, but... what if he's right? That's kind of scary.

20 minutes ago, coordinator0 said:

Moved these into the head coach thread.

Anyways, Pollard is bringing it hard here. I agree that he's probably still sore from how things played out, and I think there was some friction at the time too, but... what if he's right? That's kind of scary.

Yeah, but I also feel that Ozzie is the kind of guy that is a strong enough person to get rid of Harbaugh if he feels he’s a cancer to the organization, same with Bisciotti. I trust their judgment and they both chose to side with Harbaugh. Ray Lewis and Suggs both seemed to be in Harbaugh’s corner IIRC (or neutral).

Ed Reed for as talented a player he was, always seemed to do his own thing and march to the beat of his own drum (which is part of what gave him his swagger). So I can see a situation where as an aged player with declining talent how he might not be the kind of guy to age gracefully in terms of what the locker room needs. And with Pollard he didn’t last long in the league after being released, likely because of the same reasons that made Ozzie side against him in the Harbaugh situation.

Though on the other hand, you’re right, if Harbaugh truly is that narcissistic, than that would be quite the terrible twist. It would indeed fit the profile of the younger brother of a former star QB (in college Jim was a big deal) where the spotlight was never on him. Perhaps being an NFL HC finally gave him the needed validation that he craved. None of that would be surprising. We’ll see how the players comment after he leaves. That should give us a glimpse into how the players felt about him on the whole.

This Pollard stuff is nothing new. How he frames it continues to evolve though, I love the part where he absolves Ozzie's role in his forced departure.

If there was really a problem with John's player interactions we'd know it. Countless veterans asked around and still decided to become a Raven.

The latest example being John Brown. Brown asked his former teammate Tony Jefferson about John, Jefferson asked Weddle about John, and it goes on and on.

1 hour ago, diamondbull424 said:

I’m down. I don’t think people realize that outside of the Patriots, we’ve been very fortunate in post season success. Two Super Bowl in the past 22 years is great success.

IMHO that's a testament to Ozzie, not John. Ozzie's ability over the past 22 years to put together top-level rosters is what has kept us at those levels and gotten us to where we are. John's just along for the ride. Don't get me wrong though, Ozzie's inability to draft since 2013 has also gotten us to where we are today.

4 hours ago, DreamKid said:

This Pollard stuff is nothing new. How he frames it continues to evolve though, I love the part where he absolves Ozzie's role in his forced departure.

If there was really a problem with John's player interactions we'd know it. Countless veterans asked around and still decided to become a Raven.

The latest example being John Brown. Brown asked his former teammate Tony Jefferson about John, Jefferson asked Weddle about John, and it goes on and on.

We had Steve Smith who loved it here. If there was an issue with how Harbaugh handled players, we would know it, Smith wouldn't shut up about that.

2 minutes ago, Danand said:

We had Steve Smith who loved it here. If there was an issue with how Harbaugh handled players, we would know it, Smith wouldn't shut up about that.

lol One step further. Steve might've killed him. Which reminds me.....

This is kind of off topic, but has anyone watched this guy's videos?

He's this dude from New Zealand and he's kind of documenting his learning of/about American Football. Which includes reacting to legendary plays, players, moments etc.

It's so weird seeing someone so genuinely unaware of who these players are and their histories. His first time learning about Ray Lewis is hilarious.

Matt LaFleur and the Titans are another team to watch over the stretch run this year, not least because they'll be primary rivals for a playoff spot if we don't drop out of contention completely. He has amazing pedigree having most recently worked with Sean McVay in LA and Kyle Shanahan in Atlanta and it looks like that offense is starting to figure itself out a bit with Mariota getting healthy. He definitely fits the mold of what I expect Bisciotti and DeCosta will be looking for this offseason in terms of finding a youngish offensive mind to pair with and develop Lamar. 

• 2 weeks later...

Nick Sirianni is another one to keep an eye on. He's the current Colts OC, and has them 6th in the league in scoring with like zero playmakers. He's only 5 years older than Sean McVay too, for all you "We neid a yung Geanius" folk.

Apparently he's got a great fire to him and his work ethic is incredible.

I liked hearing this from him-

https://www.indystar.com/story/sports/columnists/gregg-doyel/2018/08/02/colts-coach-frank-reich-offensive-coordinator-nick-sirianni-odd-pair/889416002/

Here’s where Sirianni says something that makes me see why the modest, measured Reich likes him so much.

“Well,” he says, “it’s a group effort. We have great innovative coaches on this staff. You’re only as good as everyone around you, I know that – players and staff – and we have great innovative coaches on this team.”

Then he starts listing them. He calls offensive line coach Dave DeGuglielmo “a great, great game-planner.” He says tight ends coach Tom Manning and receivers coach Kevin Patullo have “brought so many good and different ideas because they’ve both been in the college game.”

It's something Harbaugh has struggled with and it's the correct mindset to have in today's game. Seeking out comfortability instead of innovation has handcuffed our offense for years.

It also reminded me of a Tywin speech from GoT: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SE7ZPSrm2rU (Spoiler Alert if you haven't see the show).

-Sirianni's coaching history

As coach:

On 11/11/2018 at 10:10 PM, AFlaccoSeagulls said:

IMHO that's a testament to Ozzie, not John. Ozzie's ability over the past 22 years to put together top-level rosters is what has kept us at those levels and gotten us to where we are. John's just along for the ride. Don't get me wrong though, Ozzie's inability to draft since 2013 has also gotten us to where we are today.

I just saw this post. But you missed the context. You state that in a given scenario where we win the Super Bowl this season that we would extend Harbaugh and Flacco and then 7 years from now win the Super Bowl again after 6 years of missing the playoffs.

Ozzie has nothing to do with that scenario given that 7 years from now he would not be our GM unless we bring him back (for some reason). My point is that in said scenario we would end up with 4 Super Bowl wins within our first 30 seasons. Just saying.

On 11/11/2018 at 8:15 PM, diamondbull424 said:

Right.  If all things were equal, one would expect a team to win once every 32 years.  Way ahead of the average there.

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, AFlaccoSeagulls said:

I want Lincoln Riley so freaking bad. 2 straight Heisman winners? Insane.

He's from Texas and has been in that area for most of his life.  No basis for this, but I am guessing that he'll wait for the Cowboys job to open up and go there for $10MM a year.

Archived