UPDATE: Lol nevermind, Harbaugh staying

SalvadorsDeli

Given DeFillipo's seemingly disdain for the running game he probably wouldn't fit with the Ravens anyways. With Jackson at QB it's clear that has to be a big part of the offense going forward. Whether it's him running the ball or the backs taking advantage of the space/defensive hesitation Lamar provides. 

As a QB coach that's different, but yeah I don't think he has to accept that type of role. There's going to be enough change this offseason that an offensive coordinator position should be available to him. 

Even for the type of QB coach we would desire, I don't think John D. is a fit. James Urban worked with mobile QB's and Vick in Philly - he's a good guy for the spot. The more I look at this staff, the more I think it was just put together waiting for Lamar to show up lol it's basically built for a mobile QB like Lamar instead of a statue like Flacco.

I never thought we would actually get rid of Harbaugh after this season. I think getting rid of Harbaugh might still be a real possibility. I think most likely we will wait until next season to make a decision on whether or not we will extend him for another, say, 5 years. Or if we will move forward with someone else and do a sort of mutual breakup. Either way, playoffs or no playoffs, I see Harbaugh sticking for the duration of his contract. The only thing that I feel might change that would be winning the Super Bowl would cause the Ravens to extend him a year early.

4 minutes ago, AFlaccoSeagulls said:

Was the decision to go with Lamar over Flacco really all he needed to do?

Beyond John, how about Marty and Roman? Both were stinking up the season- but now both are sitting pretty. lol They both must've pushed hard for Lamar when John came to them for input on the decision. Marty gets to skate under the guise of "building an offense around a Rookie" and Roman gets to turn back the clock to his SF days using Lamar instead of Kap.

I'm obviously not a huge Harbaugh fan but I think I'm mostly okay with this, for two reasons: I'm genuinely encouraged by what I've seen out of the way the staff has used/developed Lamar so far (which is also I think the main reason he is staying), and the crop of head coaching prospects this year looks bad once you accept Lincoln Riley ain't coming here. 

Harbaugh basically successfully made the case that Flacco was his biggest problem. And honestly he may he right. I'm willing to see what he can do without him.

Have to think this was one of Decosta's first big boy decisions, though made in tandem with Steve I'm sure. It's important to remember that Eric was the major voice behind the LJ8 trade up. He opted for the aggressive move in the draft and what many consider the safe one now- Shielding Lamar's development by keeping the nucleus the same.

I'm excited to see how he handles this offseason.

And the official statement

I'd be okay with a medium term extension (say 2 or 3 more years on top of 2019).  Got to keep everyone on their toes and wanting to improve, rather than getting comfortable because they're contracted for a long time

Archived