BaltimoreTerp

UPDATE: Lol nevermind, Harbaugh staying

In fairness to Mink, it is possible that the reason the offense didn't change over the 8 weeks Lamar was starter was because it was installed during the season and the coaching staff wanted the players to perfect what was instituted instead of bombarding them with an entirely need scheme in the middle of the season.

That said, the fact that Marty didn't change even the most basic of things in game (such as not calling 3 runs in a row regardless of game situation, frequently calling those weird fake QB-run/pass option plays that severely limit passing options) counts against him a lot.

Plus, Mink's job is to hype up everything the team does.  He's not there to provide objective analysis

I didn't clarify, that is a quote I'm dreading to hear, I didn't actually see/hear it from Mink yet lol. 

I think I've seen almost that exact quote somewhere already, so if it wasn't Mink I'm pretty sure someone else already has said it

1 hour ago, coordinator0 said:

Well, darn. Good for him though.

We should make an absolute power move and hire the RB coach the Steelers just fired. Guy made LeVeon and Conner into All-Pros and made Jaylen Samuels serviceable.

FML.

and FU LaCanfora for getting my hopes up for an actual change.

whats his record going to be in 5 years, something like 100/100 win/loss? 

great. just great.

3 hours ago, berlin calling said:

FML.

and FU LaCanfora for getting my hopes up for an actual change.

whats his record going to be in 5 years, something like 100/100 win/loss? 

great. just great.

Who would you replace Harbaugh with right now. Seriously, who? I'll wait. 

a young offensive mind with a clear strategy to develop LJ and an offense around him.

when Harbaugh was announced HC, did he have any merits?

no. he was a ST coordinator ffs.

stupid to think only experienced HC can have success in this league.

I think they have a pretty clear idea of how to develop LJ8 and the offense - whether it is the right offense, time will tell.

If we removed The Hoodie from the equation, who else do we have with the same merits as Harbaugh? We have Tomlin who took over a great team and won a super bowl with it, in 2008, and holy hell he have had some talented teams, especially on offense.

We have Marvin Lewis, who despite all the jokes, had 6 playoff appearances in the 2008-2018 Harbaugh era, and that is with a team which for a stretch of 3-4 years was recognized as having one of the strongest rosters in the league.

We have Sean Payton who have the same amount of playoff appearances with his team as Harbaugh, dating back to 2006, and he has done it in a tumultous division while having one of the best quarterbacks in the league for the same amount of years.

The most succesfull coach is Mike McCarthy with 8 playoff appearances who did it with Aaron Rodgers. His playoff record however is 8-7.

Then comes Harbaugh, who have had to endure Joe Flacco for his entire time with the Ravens. Flacco according to most here is borderline horrible, average as best. Yet Harbaugh somehow managed to have the most playoff appearances next to Mike McCarthy, having a playoff record of 10-6 though, which is best of all the above mentioned. Playoff appearances which were all losses to the later super bowl AFC finalists.

Besides 1 year, Harbaugh has somehow fielded a team which where contenders, and then we can argue whether he had more talents on those teams than the above mentioned HC's.

I don't get the idea to make changes just for the sake of it. Even if the Ravens had missed the playoffs this year, Harbaugh would still be one of the HC's with the best merits. He hasn't had trouble with the locker room outside the 2012 revolt, which was handled. He doesn't have players fighting in media like the Steelers - although they somehow seem to embrace that culture (mainly because they have been winning in spite of of), and Payton had the Gregg Williams/Bountygate incident.

It is like making an argument for Flacco. For how bad Harbaugh is, and for how much we need change, its tough to explain how he has been so succesfull. Someone on the team must really carry him.

7 hours ago, berlin calling said:

a young offensive mind with a clear strategy to develop LJ and an offense around him.

when Harbaugh was announced HC, did he have any merits?

no. he was a ST coordinator ffs.

stupid to think only experienced HC can have success in this league.

Whether you want to admit it or not. Harbaugh is a top 5 coach in the NFL. 

You're basically assuming that there isn't a clear strategy when it comes to Lamar's development. I'm sensing a bit of sour grapes. 

Your idea is to get a young offensive mind. You mean like every other team has tried to do during this year's coach hiring stage. Come on man. It's a copy cat league, not everyone is gonna be Mcvay. 

Harbaugh has a proven track record and deserves this extension with what he did with the team this year. My advice would be to get over it. 

Edited by baltimoreRebel

3 hours ago, Danand said:

I think they have a pretty clear idea of how to develop LJ8 and the offense - whether it is the right offense, time will tell.

If we removed The Hoodie from the equation, who else do we have with the same merits as Harbaugh? We have Tomlin who took over a great team and won a super bowl with it, in 2008, and holy hell he have had some talented teams, especially on offense.

We have Marvin Lewis, who despite all the jokes, had 6 playoff appearances in the 2008-2018 Harbaugh era, and that is with a team which for a stretch of 3-4 years was recognized as having one of the strongest rosters in the league.

We have Sean Payton who have the same amount of playoff appearances with his team as Harbaugh, dating back to 2006, and he has done it in a tumultous division while having one of the best quarterbacks in the league for the same amount of years.

The most succesfull coach is Mike McCarthy with 8 playoff appearances who did it with Aaron Rodgers. His playoff record however is 8-7.

Then comes Harbaugh, who have had to endure Joe Flacco for his entire time with the Ravens. Flacco according to most here is borderline horrible, average as best. Yet Harbaugh somehow managed to have the most playoff appearances next to Mike McCarthy, having a playoff record of 10-6 though, which is best of all the above mentioned. Playoff appearances which were all losses to the later super bowl AFC finalists.

Besides 1 year, Harbaugh has somehow fielded a team which where contenders, and then we can argue whether he had more talents on those teams than the above mentioned HC's.

I don't get the idea to make changes just for the sake of it. Even if the Ravens had missed the playoffs this year, Harbaugh would still be one of the HC's with the best merits. He hasn't had trouble with the locker room outside the 2012 revolt, which was handled. He doesn't have players fighting in media like the Steelers - although they somehow seem to embrace that culture (mainly because they have been winning in spite of of), and Payton had the Gregg Williams/Bountygate incident.

It is like making an argument for Flacco. For how bad Harbaugh is, and for how much we need change, its tough to explain how he has been so succesfull. Someone on the team must really carry him.

1. Why did you leave off Pete Carroll, who's been the most successful coach in the NFL sans Belichick since 2011?

2. Basically all of Harbaugh's success came when Ray Lewis and Ed Reed were here, so if you're looking for people who "must really carry him" there you go (IMO). Since they left he's a .500 coach.

Those were just the two issues I had with your post. I do agree though that Harbaugh does know and have a clear plan to develop and use LJ moving forward, and the move to fire Marty and promote Roman to OC kind of illustrates that, given Roman's history. I'm not mad we extended him - I think he clearly earned it with his decision to roll with Lamar over RGIII and then his decision to stay with Lamar. I think he's earned the opportunity to see what he can do with Lamar at QB for the next few years, and I suspect if Lamar does not pan out, Harbaugh won't survive that.

11 hours ago, berlin calling said:

<Fart sound>

Please kill these young offensive guru for all the head coach jobs hot takes. Repeatedly. And burn the bodies. Lets act like hires Kliff Kingsbury, LaFleur and Freddie Kitchen are good because they remind people of Sean McVay. Sean McVay who has 1 playoff win in his career and has his team no showing in their first road game. 

It's not like the elite teams like the Saints, Chiefs, and Pats have coaches who have been head coaches in the league over a dozen years. Anyone like that would be washed up and totally figured out.

The real Sean McVay is overrated so I'm not in the business of finding a knock off.

Edited by wackywabbit

2 hours ago, wackywabbit said:

<Fart sound>

Please kill these young offensive guru for all the head coach jobs hot takes. Repeatedly. And burn the bodies. Lets act like hires Kliff Kingsbury, LaFleur and Freddie Kitchen are good because they remind people of Sean McVay. Sean McVay who has 1 playoff win in his career and has his team no showing in their first road game. 

It's not like the elite teams like the Saints, Chiefs, and Pats have coaches who have been head coaches in the league over a dozen years. Anyone like that would be washed up and totally figured out.

The real Sean McVay is overrated so I'm not in the business of finding a knock off.

well now it's 2 and a Superbowl birth ;)

Well, that aged less than ideally... lol

Them squeezing a win doesn't change my opinion on the offensive guru fad.