UPDATE: Lol nevermind, Harbaugh staying

SalvadorsDeli

1 minute ago, Josepho said:

He probably gets one more "prove-it" year under the new QB.

That would have been the most likely scenario. The make or break difference is the coaches that get the margin that get teams into the playoffs. Harbaugh was on his way below the accepted threshold but bounced back.

2 hours ago, AFlaccoSeagulls said:

All of this talk about Harbaugh and winning has me wondering what the narrative around him would be right now had Mosley not gone off script and not intercepted that ball. The WR beat Weddle, the throw was on target. If the Browns convert that 1st down and kick a FG to win it, I wonder how people would view Harbaugh after another late season collapse even with making tough decisions to turn the season around?

Would people say "Well we turned the season around but just fell short, change is coming!" and be content? Would they call for his firing? I'm honestly not sure.

They being media and fans? Yea, the narrative would definitely been focused on Harbaugh missing the playoffs. 

It shows that it's dumb to base your evaluation of a coach or season based on one play. 

7 minutes ago, wackywabbit said:

They being media and fans? Yea, the narrative would definitely been focused on Harbaugh missing the playoffs. 

It shows that it's dumb to base your evaluation of a coach or season based on one play. 

But we can agree that essentially that one play changed the fate of Harbaugh's near-future here, yeah? I have many doubts that had CJ not picked that pass off, Harbaugh would not be signing an extension here.

30 minutes ago, AFlaccoSeagulls said:

But we can agree that essentially that one play changed the fate of Harbaugh's near-future here, yeah? I have many doubts that had CJ not picked that pass off, Harbaugh would not be signing an extension here.

I don't think so. They announced the extension before the Chargers game when we were more probably than not going to miss the playoffs.

I give our FO more credit than caring about how "heart-breaking" or "un-clutch" the way we missed the playoffs would have been.

1 hour ago, Josepho said:

He probably gets one more "prove-it" year under the new QB.

He already had a year left on his contract and they had already announced they were going to extend him before week 16.

You think they would have seen the great upset win @ LA and the collapse against the Browns and then be like... "Nevermind!"

I doubt it.

1 hour ago, wackywabbit said:

He already had a year left on his contract and they had already announced they were going to extend him before week 16.

You think they would have seen the great upset win @ LA and the collapse against the Browns and then be like... "Nevermind!"

I doubt it.

You actually raise a really good point but it's not the first time an executive has been fired after being extended.

1 hour ago, wackywabbit said:

I don't think so. They announced the extension before the Chargers game when we were more probably than not going to miss the playoffs.

I give our FO more credit than caring about how "heart-breaking" or "un-clutch" the way we missed the playoffs would have been.

Things can always change on a week's notice. Like you said, he still had one year left, all it signaled is that they probably weren't going to fire him after the season. But if we went out and lost that Cleveland game and missed the playoffs, I have a very hard time believing they go "Well, we already announced we were working towards an extension, so I guess we have to!".

But regardless, I'm encouraged by the moves Harbaugh's made already, although I still don't agree with having Bobby Engram on staff at all.

3 hours ago, wackywabbit said:

This.

While it's always possible that that announcement was leverage in case other franchises wanted to trade for him, I think that the simple explanation (that DeCosta had already committed to re-signing John) is the right one

1 hour ago, Danand said:

it is supposed to be a 4 year extension. 4 more years of horrible mediocrity.

I'm surprised you feel this way.  I always thought Harbaugh was one of the top five coaches in the league.  

5 minutes ago, DR43 said:

I'm surprised you feel this way.  I always thought Harbaugh was one of the top five coaches in the league.  

He's being facetious.  Dan is one of Harbaugh's biggest supports in this sub forum

I’m neither upset nor elated by this extension. I like it because I know what Harbaugh brings to the table. He’s going to have a solidly disciplined unit that has each other’s back. But because it’s so tight knit as a team, there aren’t any stars that standout.

Lamar and his game might be the only concept of this team that doesn’t go “by the book”. Though such a coaching strategy generally seems to produce success more than the opposite though so it’s whatever. Just not as fun when you don’t have as many intriguing and eccentric personalities.

Archived