UPDATE: Lol nevermind, Harbaugh staying

SalvadorsDeli

15 hours ago, berlin calling said:

main issue i see is... new HC must accept LJ as his QB. normally in this league a new HC gets to pick his QB himself. will probably be a slight issue to some candidates no?

Nah I think it helps set up parameters for recruitment - the interview process won't just be a vague "how would you fix the QB situation/who interests you in the draft class" but instead a more pointed conversation about how to develop Lamar. The Rams hired McVay and the Bears got Nagy recently under similar circumstances, I think if anything it'll be an appealing quality for ambitious offensive minds. 

On 11/6/2018 at 4:12 PM, BaltimoreTerp said:

Nah I think it helps set up parameters for recruitment - the interview process won't just be a vague "how would you fix the QB situation/who interests you in the draft class" but instead a more pointed conversation about how to develop Lamar. The Rams hired McVay and the Bears got Nagy recently under similar circumstances, I think if anything it'll be an appealing quality for ambitious offensive minds. 

Exactly, there would be no guarantee that we could nabb the “precise” QB talent needed for some OCs ideal system anyway. What’s more if said OC can’t get excited about ways they would be able to utilize LJ8 unique skillset to build an explosive offense around, than they’re likely the same kind of coach that’ll struggle to make key adjustments at halftime or halfway into a season because they succeed by getting players that are tailored to THEIR system vs tailoring their system to THEIR players. They’re going to be weak at adjusting their talent to maximize output. Such coaches are too old school to thrive in today’s NFL nor maintain much longevity.

@BaltimoreTerp really hits the nail on the head with this one.

I think he’s going to stay at TCU forever but Gary Patterson. One of the best coaches in the sport but mainly he’s adaptable. He used to win with suffocating defense and power run game. And when college football became what it is now he put together one of the most explosive offenses in the country and started winning shootouts every week 

I see what Norv Turner is doing in Carolina with Cam and I think he might be worth an interview 

25 minutes ago, coordinator0 said:

Harbaugh in Greenbay? With Aaron Rodgers? No way.

I'll always have a love/hate relationship with John Harbaugh and thought overall he was an amazing hire compared to what we could have ended up with. Always knew Jason Garrett was a complete fraud. I'm just happy, if the rumors are true, that his wife thought Baltimore was too dangerous. She's the real MVP.

But if this is the light switch turning off season for Harbaugh, job well done. We should've been a dynasty, but we still had some great teams and championship. Can't be mad at that.

3 hours ago, coordinator0 said:

Interesting. I think Harbaugh is more likely to go to the college football ranks where he can develop the mentality of younger players. That’s where he excels as a coach, in creating a team structure. It’s why his teams regardless of playoff births or not, have been very consistent. I doubt he goes to the Browns though, that would kind of be burning a bridge.

I think he either goes the route of college coach or he goes the route of being a high paid network analyst. He has a great energy and always has some great sound clips and if he feels being a college HC might have him too much on the road and away from his family, I could certainly see a network job being a great fit for his skillset as well.

3 hours ago, RavensfanRD said:

I think he’s still scourned from all those years ago. His career never rebounded afterwards.

There is truth in what he says. They complained and Harbaugh got rid of them. They were the leaders of that “mutiny” faction and could have led to a locker room dissolution in future seasons that could’ve left the team (or rather Harbaugh’s control of it) in disarray. That much is true. That culture of players having too much power over the locker room culture is what led to the inconsistencies within the Billick era and thus it was smart of Harbaugh to get rid of the bad fruit. The fact that the team, while not as successful, was more consistent does speak to that validation of that decision.

Whats more I’m sure some of that resentment comes from when Harbaugh was chosen over Rex Ryan, I’m sure those seeds of doubt/dislike are all things left over from that situation. With many of the defense having been Ryan’s guys and Ryan having had obvious issues with that situation.

But that all being said, the fact that Harbaugh has an ego and needs to have complete control of the team culture also is probably one of the major reasons that this team has such a weak mentality, that no true leaders have emerged under Harbaugh’s tenure, and why there haven’t been superstar talents that have developed under his era. His way of running the team has likely shunned individual achievement and recognition to the point where it’s hosed down player creativity and excellence (aka swagger).

4 minutes ago, DreamKid said:

What if we win the Super Bowl?

RGIII and the redskins were 3-6 going into their bye in his rookie season, they came back after the bye and went 7-0.

Also, we might face some great teams late, but what if those teams lose high quality players and they suddenly  isn't as good? We just have to play our chance.

2 hours ago, DreamKid said:

What if we win the Super Bowl?

Good question. If we win the Super Bowl it might still be a good time to part ways from Harbaugh. I could be wrong but Harbaugh just doesn’t seem as exuberant as he once did. He’s starting to lose a little bit of his fire. Perhaps that’s the lack of recent playoffs or perhaps it’s him wishing he had more time with his family (or something personal).

If it’s the former the SB would fix that I’m sure, if it’s the latter than going out on top to then pursue other personal interests would be the perfect storybook ending and also put him above Billick as our best HC in franchise history. We could then pool our resources to find our next great HC and if all else fails we have a pretty strong internal candidate (IMO) in James Urban.

1 minute ago, diamondbull424 said:

If we win the Super Bowl it might still be a good time to part ways from Harbaugh.

My thoughts as well. It would be a great cap on a Ravens era. One that's naturally heading towards a transformation though. Winning a Super Bowl, doesn't necessarily mean we should stop that transformation. 

Archived