UPDATE: Lol nevermind, Harbaugh staying

SalvadorsDeli

1 hour ago, DreamKid said:

Beyond John, how about Marty and Roman? Both were stinking up the season- but now both are sitting pretty. lol They both must've pushed hard for Lamar when John came to them for input on the decision. Marty gets to skate under the guise of "building an offense around a Rookie" and Roman gets to turn back the clock to his SF days using Lamar instead of Kap.

Yeah kind of hard to disagree with this, especially Roman. His run concepts early in the year were really bad and now they've completely transformed back to being amazing. Marty's play-calling still leaves a lot to be desired, but it's adequate.

1 hour ago, BaltimoreTerp said:

I'm obviously not a huge Harbaugh fan but I think I'm mostly okay with this, for two reasons: I'm genuinely encouraged by what I've seen out of the way the staff has used/developed Lamar so far (which is also I think the main reason he is staying), and the crop of head coaching prospects this year looks bad once you accept Lincoln Riley ain't coming here. 

Harbaugh basically successfully made the case that Flacco was his biggest problem. And honestly he may he right. I'm willing to see what he can do without him.

Completely agreed with the bolded.

Man, this is great news. 

Earlier in the year during that bad losing streak. I definitely thought the right call was to move on from Harbaugh. As the season has progressed, I've started to admire Harbaugh more than I already did. In the face of all the rumours, he exudes confidence and class. 

The players still play hard for him and his message isn't getting tired. I love Harbaugh and I'm proud he's our coach and I'm beyond ecstatic that he's going to be back. 

23 minutes ago, AngusMcFife said:

Along with helping Lamar develop, I think the fact that Harbaugh has the Ravens D again at the top of the league is what sealed his extension. I have not always been a fan of his scheme, but it is performing very well this season relative to the rest of the league.   

It's not Harbaugh's scheme. 

Given Baltimore's success with Lamar under center thus far this was about the only decision to make. Even if the team goes 1-1 the last two and misses the playoffs that's still a 5-2 record for Jackson as the starter. Can't make huge upset changes after that. And the team is actually functioning as it was built now, so it makes sense in that regard. If/when the pass-rush gets back on it it could be scary. Martindale might get a head coaching opportunity though so we'll see what happens.

Still not a huge fan of Harbaugh though.

13 hours ago, berlin calling said:

EMBRACE THE MEDIOCRICY

thank you for your service John, it's hilarious to me how this guy finds a way out of being fired for juuuuuust not reaching the playoffs every year.
I'd wish my boss would promote me for missing my budget targets 5, likely 6 years in a row.

Well he's won a SuperBowl and had a massive roster turn over after that. I think it's fair to give him a shot with what seems to be our future QB. 

John is a fantastic coach that would be picked up as another head coach in minutes. The team believes in him and its evident in how they're playing right now. 

Is making your budget at work as hard as making the playoffs in the National Football League? He's hired to win a championship and he's proven he can do it. Not to sound confrontational but a take like that makes you sound a tad deluded. 

6 minutes ago, baltimoreRebel said:

Well he's won a SuperBowl and had a massive roster turn over after that. I think it's fair to give him a shot with what seems to be our future QB. 

John is a fantastic coach that would be picked up as another head coach in minutes. The team believes in him and its evident in how they're playing right now. 

Is making your budget at work as hard as making the playoffs in the National Football League? He's hired to win a championship and he's proven he can do it. Not to sound confrontational but a take like that makes you sound a tad deluded. 

Agreed.  NFL W/L is a zero-sum game (league as a whole has shockingly been .500 every year since inception ;)), which makes it apples&oranges to the comparison provided.

14 hours ago, baltimoreRebel said:

my take is - did the Ravens put together a team able to reach the playoffs during that time span?

if you think so, than Harbaugh absolutely underachieved.

from my perspective the answer to my aforementiond question is a clear and simple yes.

and i understand i compared apples to oranges but whatever, nobody should get promoted for regularly screwing up at his profession, when there are clear targets given by your boss.

7 hours ago, berlin calling said:

my take is - did the Ravens put together a team able to reach the playoffs during that time span?

if you think so, than Harbaugh absolutely underachieved.

from my perspective the answer to my aforementiond question is a clear and simple yes.

and i understand i compared apples to oranges but whatever, nobody should get promoted for regularly screwing up at his profession, when there are clear targets given by your boss.

But this isn’t true. Harbaugh hasn’t “screwed up”. You doing your job is about hitting known performance indicators that are determined to be satisfactory. The average NFL team finishes at a .500 record. The mark of doing one’s job is exceeding that performance indicator. Harbaugh has generally always finished above .500, though that’s not always enough to make the playoffs.

Its an apples to oranges comparison, that much we all agree on, but having a coach that can consistently get the team to 9-7/10-6 records is crucial. It means on a yearly basis our squad has a competitive chance to make the playoffs and any team that makes the playoffs has a shot to win it all.

29 minutes ago, berlin calling said:

i stand by my point, he was given squads who were talented enough to make the playoffs yet didn't. i blame the head coach since it was a common pattern for years and not an anomaly.

moot point anyway since Johnny boy was given an extension for being best buddies with his boss. good for him.

Moot point for sure, but one last point of contention was the health of those squads. We definitely got unlucky a few years in a row with injuries to prominent players that derailed our seasons just enough to make a difference. Heck and I shouldn’t just say prominent, IIRC we were one of the league leaders in IR’d talent.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2018/12/24/nfl-playoff-scenarios-predictions-matt-millen-heart-fmia-peter-king/?cid=pfttease/

• There’s a real chance that Harbaugh, 56, will not sign an extension, but rather coach his final season and take his chance on the market in 2020—or sign back with the Ravens. It could be a lot like the Joe Flacco situation in 2012, when he wouldn’t sign long-term with Baltimore and gambled that he’d win big in the last year of his contract. He did. The Ravens won the Super Bowl, and Flacco earned a $20-million-a-year contract. Why should Harbaugh sign now? Since that Super Bowl win, the Ravens are 50-47, with only one playoff win. He’s won a Super Bowl, but since then, the Ravens haven’t won anything. I believe he wants to stay in Baltimore but wouldn’t be heartbroken if he had to move on. He’s probably worth more elsewhere, so I think it’s legitimately possible he coaches out his contract in Baltimore in 2019. And I don’t think it would bother him very much to do so.

Archived