UPDATE: Lol nevermind, Harbaugh staying

SalvadorsDeli

8 hours ago, coordinator0 said:

Wow this is quite an odd turn. If Harbaugh is not willing to stick around long term than I would then let him go at the end of this year, regardless of what happens the rest of the way. 

I can't see the Ravens having a self-inflicted lame-duck coach for all of 2019, especially since year 2 is crucial to Lamar's development. It's not fair to the players if the coach won't commit to more than 1 year.  

Oh yeah, and Merry Christmas!

6 hours ago, AngusMcFife said:

Wow this is quite an odd turn. If Harbaugh is not willing to stick around long term than I would then let him go at the end of this year, regardless of what happens the rest of the way. 

I can't see the Ravens having a self-inflicted lame-duck coach for all of 2019, especially since year 2 is crucial to Lamar's development. It's not fair to the players if the coach won't commit to more than 1 year.  

Oh yeah, and Merry Christmas!

It reads like pure speculation. 

The reasoning provided doesn't even make that much sense. 

1 hour ago, sp6488 said:

The reasoning is a bit odd, I agree. But Peter King is extremely well connected, I don't think he speculates. He is projecting based on a source he has inside the Ravens organization. 

2 hours ago, sp6488 said:

No, it does. Jon Gruden just got a $100 million contract. The coaching market isn't going to be revolutionized, but with that deal the money is going way up. If Harbaugh wants a big deal and the Ravens aren't going to offer that much then it makes sense for him to hit the open market. Just like any big free agent on the player side. Except there is no salary cap for coaches.

It sounds like John would have had a lot of suitors this year before the Lamar change. I don't think that will change much after next season either.

4 hours ago, coordinator0 said:

No, it does. Jon Gruden just got a $100 million contract. The coaching market isn't going to be revolutionized, but with that deal the money is going way up. If Harbaugh wants a big deal and the Ravens aren't going to offer that much then it makes sense for him to hit the open market. Just like any big free agent on the player side. Except there is no salary cap for coaches.

It sounds like John would have had a lot of suitors this year before the Lamar change. I don't think that will change much after next season either.

This makes the assumption that the Ravens wouldn’t offer him a top coaching contract though. None of what you’re saying is false, but it also doesn’t get you to the conclusion that he or the Ravens won’t be interested in extending. 

4 hours ago, AngusMcFife said:

The reasoning is a bit odd, I agree. But Peter King is extremely well connected, I don't think he speculates. He is projecting based on a source he has inside the Ravens organization. 

Yes PK is well connected, but the wording is classic noncommittal Peter “maybe” King. If anything I imagine JH fed that to him as negotiating leverage to make sure he gets the best number possible. 

18 hours ago, sp6488 said:

This makes the assumption that the Ravens wouldn’t offer him a top coaching contract though. None of what you’re saying is false, but it also doesn’t get you to the conclusion that he or the Ravens won’t be interested in extending. 

But the reasoning makes sense. That was my point. Maybe Bisciotti is willing to shell out the big bucks. Maybe not. Maybe John just wants to hit the open market and see what happens. There isn't a "right" side to this at the moment. 

https://www.si.com/nfl/2018/12/27/nfl-coaching-rumors-2019-browns-jets-buccaneers-dolphins-ravens

• The Harbaugh announcement reset the plans of several teams, including the Jets and Broncos (with the Dolphins having lurked as a potential suitor for the Ravens’ coach). So do the teams that coveted Harbaugh take their ball and go home? I’d say … not until Harbaugh actually signs his extension. As Pro Football Talk’s Mike Florio has pointed out, it’s not hard to see a scenario in which someone goes to Baltimore with draft picks. Which would make good sense, given that Harbaugh is still regarded as a top-tier head coach in NFL circle.

Some light on a few of the particular teams that were (are?) going to go after Harbaugh. All in the AFC. Not sure any of those situations are particularly appealing. Jets might be the best bet if you think New England/Brady is about to fall off a cliff.

6 minutes ago, coordinator0 said:

https://www.si.com/nfl/2018/12/27/nfl-coaching-rumors-2019-browns-jets-buccaneers-dolphins-ravens

Some light on a few of the particular teams that were (are?) going to go after Harbaugh. All in the AFC. Not sure any of those situations are particularly appealing. Jets might be the best bet if you think New England/Brady is about to fall off a cliff.

And even with them, it could make sense because he’s likely considered one of the few “NE killers” out there.

I wouldn’t mind trading Harbaugh if that’s what he wants. Obviously I’d prefer to keep him, but if they offer him a Jon Gruden type of deal and agree to part with their 1st round pick in this year’s draft, plus some extra picks... I wouldn’t be against bringing in someone like Chuck Pagano to man the HC spot, make sure to hold onto Greg Roman. Would be a crazy change but I could adjust.

1 hour ago, diamondbull424 said:

And even with them, it could make sense because he’s likely considered one of the few “NE killers” out there.

I wouldn’t mind trading Harbaugh if that’s what he wants. Obviously I’d prefer to keep him, but if they offer him a Jon Gruden type of deal and agree to part with their 1st round pick in this year’s draft, plus some extra picks... I wouldn’t be against bringing in someone like Chuck Pagano to man the HC spot, make sure to hold onto Greg Roman. Would be a crazy change but I could adjust.

Why not promote Martindale to HC? I don't know why you'd want to change the defense after this year.

Or, even crazier, promote Rosberg to HC, and keep Martindale and the offensive staff intact. 

6 hours ago, AngusMcFife said:

Why not promote Martindale to HC? I don't know why you'd want to change the defense after this year.

Or, even crazier, promote Rosberg to HC, and keep Martindale and the offensive staff intact. 

I’m not against that idea. Certainly considered it. I guess for me, I feel as though Wink is the kind of guy, like Rex, who could see his “message” tire quickly. Just based off of his videos to the media, that’s my impression. Whereas Pagano has always struck me as more of a “charismatic” coach. More adaptable in his message, which is what might make him last longer. But it’s all a crapshoot anyway.

8 minutes ago, diamondbull424 said:

I’m not against that idea. Certainly considered it. I guess for me, I feel as though Wink is the kind of guy, like Rex, who could see his “message” tire quickly. Just based off of his videos to the media, that’s my impression. Whereas Pagano has always struck me as more of a “charismatic” coach. More adaptable in his message, which is what might make him last longer. But it’s all a crapshoot anyway.

I get the same vibe. I love his personality and brashness, but I agree I think he'd find his message and demeanor sour quickly, especially if things start going south. For all of Harbaugh's faults, I think one of his strengths is that he's relatively even-keeled regardless of what's happening and seems to be very personable.

2 hours ago, AFlaccoSeagulls said:

I get the same vibe. I love his personality and brashness, but I agree I think he'd find his message and demeanor sour quickly, especially if things start going south. For all of Harbaugh's faults, I think one of his strengths is that he's relatively even-keeled regardless of what's happening and seems to be very personable.

Yup. Harbaugh would make for an excellent politician. And the one great thing about politicians is that regardless of what’s in their past they consistently find new ways to galvanize their audience and convince them of how things are going to be “different”, to build the dream. Harbaugh does that well. It’s how as a young coach he was able to takeover a veteran squad that was in love with their DC Rex Ryan and win guys over enough to play for him. How he’s been able to convince coaches with huge resumes to come coach for the Ravens (Cam Cameron was once a steal for us if we recall, brought in Gary Kubiak, recruited Chuck Pagano, etc.) That skill is also how Harbaugh has been able to completely switch messages multiple times midseason. Did it with firing Cam Cameron for the Super Bowl run. Did it this season (Super Bowl ring for Suggs and Weddle?).

What makes Harbaugh a good football coach is that he actually seems to genuinely believe in his message and believe in developing guys as individuals. He’s a college football coach at heart that has figured out how to make the NFL game work for his style, similar to Pete Carrol. They are both recruiters of vision. Carrol just seems to be better schematically, though who knows when Harbaugh’s teams are given time he rarely seems to be out-coached, that must have something to do with the quality of his abilities.

That said Harbaugh does have his faults, those are well documented and thus if we were to move on, I could see it being done in a mutual manner.

Speaking of Harbaugh if we win against the Browns, to go from 4-5 to in the playoffs with a home game, with the 5th strongest schedule in the NFL with only the Saints facing a tougher schedule (out of the playoff teams), and having this happen with a rookie QB. One could argue that he should win coach of the year.

Interesting that he goes from the media speculating that he may be fired, to a COTY candidate. 

Archived