UPDATE: Lol nevermind, Harbaugh staying

SalvadorsDeli

44 minutes ago, diamondbull424 said:

Speaking of Harbaugh if we win against the Browns, to go from 4-6 to in the playoffs with a home game, with the 5th strongest schedule in the NFL with only the Saints facing a tougher schedule (out of the playoff teams), and having this happen with a rookie QB. One could argue that he should win coach of the year.

Interesting that he goes from the media speculating that he may be fired, to a COTY candidate. 

To be fair, we were "only" down 4-5, but I completely agree that what the coaching staff has done, Mornhinweg included it seems, has somewhat gone unnoticed. Last year we looked atrocious on offense - due to having a QB with a broken bone in his back and one of the worst supporting casts in the league and we had a defense pounding on the weaker teams and losing games against stronger offenses - but the abysmal opponents and numerous backup/rookie QB's we faced made us look like a playoff team that went 9-7.

If we end up a 9-7 team this year, I would still argue we are a much better team this year which reflects back on the coaching staff.

9 hours ago, diamondbull424 said:

Speaking of Harbaugh if we win against the Browns, to go from 4-6 to in the playoffs with a home game, with the 5th strongest schedule in the NFL with only the Saints facing a tougher schedule (out of the playoff teams), and having this happen with a rookie QB. One could argue that he should win coach of the year.

Interesting that he goes from the media speculating that he may be fired, to a COTY candidate. 

To be even fairer, after we went 4-5, most of the games that got us here were against pretty weak teams and KC who we lost to. I could see the argument for why people think he should be COTY, but kind of hard for me to put him over Pete Carroll, Andy Reid or Sean McVay.

1 hour ago, AFlaccoSeagulls said:

To be even fairer, after we went 4-5, most of the games that got us here were against pretty weak teams and KC who we lost to. I could see the argument for why people think he should be COTY, but kind of hard for me to put him over Pete Carroll, Andy Reid or Sean McVay.

The Raiders was really the only horrible unit we faced. And that unit beat the Steelers. But in comparison to the first half of the schedule they were not worse than that Bills squad we faced.

Cincy was without AJ Green in that second matchup but they still had Andy (the Ravens killer) Dalton at QB and they hadn’t started their tank job yet. They were fired up to play us at a pivotal point in both of our teams trajectories where a win could’ve mean playoff hopes and a loss meant likely outside of the picture.

We faced the Atlanta Falcons and Tampa Bay Bucs who both are actually solid squads, similar to say the Broncos without  Phillip Lindsay and the Browns from the first half of our schedule under Hue Jackson. I’d say the Browns this second matchup is similar to the Steelers matchups. The Chiefs were as formidable as the Saints. And the Chargers were just as good overall as that hot Panthers unit we faced when Cam Newton was healthy, only we were able to win.

I don’t see much of a difference tbh. The only serious difference has been the QB change and the new identity on offense and for the team as a whole.

Just now, berlin calling said:

according to Jay Glazer there are teams exploring trade options for Harbaugh.

imagine getting a pick for both your HC and QB... that would be awesome in itself

sauce

The thing is, we are a pretty complete team who neither have much cap space, neither have room for another bunch of 8-10 draft picks

1 minute ago, Danand said:

The thing is, we are a pretty complete team who neither have much cap space, neither have room for another bunch of 8-10 draft picks

thing is, you could use those picks to trade up in the draft and get the playmaker/s everybody is calling for.

but hey lets just leave Harbaugh and Flacco for nothing because cap. if those trade possibilities would indeed come true that is.

9_9

40 minutes ago, Danand said:

The above take is definitely inaccurate. Not even including a Joe Flacco trade that would free up cap space, we’re sitting at just under $26m in cap space. I’m sure we also free up some additional money when we release Tony Jefferson. So fitting in a draft class should be no problem.

Our 2019 Offseason Cap Outlook

8 minutes ago, diamondbull424 said:

The above take is definitely inaccurate. Not even including a Joe Flacco trade that would free up cap space, we’re sitting at just under $26m in cap space. I’m sure we also free up some additional money when we release Tony Jefferson. So fitting in a draft class should be no problem.

But how will the cap look when we resign most of those we think we are going to resign?

Gus Edwards and Collins will both most likely be tendered. The same with Skura and Eluemanor. Then we have Pierce, Onwuasor, Boyle who all could return.

Suggs is a more expensive option but I think we will find a way to keep him. Urban and Maxx Williams are questionable and then we have to decide to keep either Zardarius Smith or CJ Mosley.

That is still quite some dollars to convert intro contracts even though Flacco will open up some possibilities as well as Crabtree and Jefferson could do it as well.

41 minutes ago, diamondbull424 said:

I agree with almost all of what you're saying here. I don't agree that Jefferson gets cut though. It would result in 9.3m in dead money and only free up 3.3m. I believe we restructured him so Jefferson is more than likely to be on the 2019 squad.

I think other likely cuts will be (Assuming Flacco is already traded or released) 

Jimmy Smith (6.3m dead. 9.5m freed up)

Eric Weddle (1.3m dead 6.5 freed up)

42 minutes ago, berlin calling said:

according to Jay Glazer there are teams exploring trade options for Harbaugh.

imagine getting a pick for both your HC and QB... that would be awesome in itself

sauce

Yeah if we were able to get a Jon Gruden haul for Harbaugh I would certainly be down. We’re a much better front office than the Raiders so getting two 1st round picks and two 2nd round picks, plus perhaps an additional 3rd round pick for Joe Flacco would be outstanding. I get a Nick Chubb just thinking about what we could come away with given all that draft collateral.

20 minutes ago, baltimoreRebel said:

I agree with almost all of what you're saying here. I don't agree that Jefferson gets cut though. It would result in 9.3m in dead money and only free up 3.3m. I believe we restructured him so Jefferson is more than likely to be on the 2019 squad.

I think other likely cuts will be (Assuming Flacco is already traded or released) 

Jimmy Smith (6.3m dead. 9.5m freed up)

Eric Weddle (1.3m dead 6.5 freed up)

I’d rather endure the dead money now than later. Especially if we’re able to bring in talent that makes him irrelevant. That said a post June 1st cut could also make a lot of sense. But I’d prefer to get it all out of the way upfront.

edit: I can’t see Jefferson playing special teams so if he gets beat out by someone else for that starting position, he’s either cut or traded for peanuts I’m sure. Now that I think about it, we might be able to trade him for a 6th round pick to a team needing some competent safety depth.

56 minutes ago, Danand said:

But how will the cap look when we resign most of those we think we are going to resign?

Gus Edwards and Collins will both most likely be tendered. The same with Skura and Eluemanor. Then we have Pierce, Onwuasor, Boyle who all could return.

Suggs is a more expensive option but I think we will find a way to keep him. Urban and Maxx Williams are questionable and then we have to decide to keep either Zardarius Smith or CJ Mosley.

That is still quite some dollars to convert intro contracts even though Flacco will open up some possibilities as well as Crabtree and Jefferson could do it as well.

Most of the names you’ve mentioned are being tendered. We have 45 players already under contract. So rule of 51 means all of those tendered deals won’t count until next season. And by then we would have an outlook on which players will be retained and which ones won’t.

Zadarius Smith excelled in a contract year only, based off of Ravens history, he won’t be back. Same with Brent Urban. We have guys like Tim Williams, Tyus Bowser, and Willie Henry waiting in the wings. Let alone the guys we would add with the increased draft capital.

I can’t speculate with any accuracy what the team will do with CJ Mosley. If they’re smart they would let him walk, he’d net us a comp 3rd most likely. And in terms of play what Peanut and Young provide would make up for what is lost. In terms of leadership, I would retain Suggs if we don’t win a Super Bowl as he’s a hungry vet. Same with Weddle. But if we win the Super Bowl this year, I think Suggs and Weddle both retire.

I’m not as well versed on the cap as I used to be in past years but I would imagine a scenario of something where we have $26m starting out. $5m carryover from 2018 added equals $31m. Minus likely player incentives goes back to $26m.

$40m: Flacco trade

$44m: Jefferson cut

43 players under contract.

$41m: Ravens tender 5/6 ERFA lowering the cap by around $2.5m. They now have 48 players under contract.

$32m: The Ravens tender Peanut and Pierce as 2nd round tenders. I’ll assume they tender Collins with an ROFR. The Ravens now have 51 players under contract with plenty of space.

$24m: The Ravens sign Suggs for a reasonable deal, say 3yrs/$18m deal with $3m guaranteed. Ensure he retires as a Raven.

$16m: They may or may not resign Mosley, I don’t believe they will resign him (my gut feeling). More likely I see them giving an extension to Michael Pierce, which considering his tender was for about $3.5m, i could see the cap damage being an extra $8m (if we don’t resign Mosley). We’re now left with $16m.

$5m: With an extra 1st and 2nd along with our current haul, I’d estimate the draft costing say $11m. Leaving us with that number as a remainder. Now if we consider the rule of 51, that number would actually be higher during the offseason. Probably closer to $8-$9m.

Appreciate the breakdown as I have no clue about the cap. Z. Smith excelled in a contract year which is the typical player we let go. I just believe his versatility will be more difficult to replace than Mosley.

Urban I would like to keep as well, especially as he has finally been healthy. I still feel we are a team who have the potential to be contenders for some time, but we have to figure out who the leaders will be once Weddle, Suggs, Yanda, Flacco isn't here anymore.

Not a fan of dealing Harbs. The fact that so many teams appear interested in trading for him shows that we’ve got a good thing going. 

Now, it would be kind of cool to get a Gruden haul of assets for him, but I’d rather not. 

Archived