• Tom Brady
    • Todd Gurley
    • Jared Goff
    • Matt Ryan
    • Phillip Rivers
    • Cam Newton

4 minutes ago, Forge said:

I thought about adding Ryan as well. 

Ryan's team has just been too bad so far for him to have any chance at the MVP, but if he keeps up his current play and makes a strong playoff push I could see him at least in the conversation.  Statistically Ryan is having a slightly better year than he did in 2016 when he won MVP, but the competition this year is much higher.  Mahomes and Brees will have to fall off a bit for Ryan to have a realistic shot at actually winning (I'd give it well less than a 1% chance despite his numbers).  Still an incredible season for Ryan in what would've been a completely lost season if not for his play.

1 minute ago, megatechpc said:

Ryan's team has just been too bad so far for him to have any chance at the MVP, but if he keeps up his current play and makes a strong playoff push I could see him at least in the conversation.  Statistically Ryan is having a slightly better year than he did in 2016 when he won MVP, but the competition this year is much higher.  Mahomes and Brees will have to fall off a bit for Ryan to have a realistic shot at actually winning (I'd give it well less than a 1% chance despite his numbers).  Still an incredible season for Ryan in what would've been a completely lost season if not for his play.

Falcons seem to be getting their act together.  Ryan could definitely be a legit candidate by the end of the season, and the Falcons could still win the division.

9 minutes ago, footbull3196 said:

Mahomes has a leg up, but I think Cam is playing the best football of his career and it's good to see that he was mentioned in here.  He's definitely a dark horse candidate given that he's completing 65% of his passes when he's struggled to reach 60% for his career and yet he still has everything else to offer that he did before

cams not a real contender... he  has a ypa just a notch above 7 and during a time when elite totals in passing yards are in the 5k range hes unlikely to get to 4. he has no argument against brees or rivers, heck, gurley coud have a better case than him.

1 minute ago, GSUeagles14 said:

cams not a real contender... he  has a ypa just a notch above 7 and during a time when elite totals in passing yards are in the 5k range hes unlikely to get to 4. he has no argument against brees or rivers, heck, gurley coud have a better case than him.

Agreed.  Cam is on this list because the Panthers are 6-2, not because of his individual play.  He is having a fantastic year, don't get me wrong, but not statistically close to the level of guys like Mahomes, Brees, Brady, Rivers, Ryan, Goff etc.

It's going to be interesting. Honestly, I think Mahomes needs to keep his pace to beat Brees. Brees is going to have the sentimental vote for sure. He's never won an MVP if I remember right, career winding down and he's having another one of those hall of fame worthy seasons. 

17 minutes ago, footbull3196 said:

Mahomes has a leg up, but I think Cam is playing the best football of his career and it's good to see that he was mentioned in here.  He's definitely a dark horse candidate given that he's completing 65% of his passes when he's struggled to reach 60% for his career and yet he still has everything else to offer that he did before

Comp % seems to be inflated for everyone this year.  There are several guys above 70, and Brees, who is right at 70 normally, is closer to 80.  

1 minute ago, game3525 said:

Rivers should be on that list. He is one pace for the 2nd highest any/a in NFL history. I don't think people realize how efficient he has been so far this year. 

He's my number 3. Pretty incredible what he has done so far. It's hard to beat Brees and Mahomes right now, but he has to be next man up in my opinion. Hope he keeps it up all year. 

1 minute ago, Jlowe22 said:

Comp % seems to be inflated for everyone this year.  There are several guys above 70, and Brees, who is right at 70 normally, is closer to 80.  

God I wish I could have seen what Steve Young would have done in this era lol. 

9 minutes ago, Jlowe22 said:

Falcons seem to be getting their act together.  Ryan could definitely be a legit candidate by the end of the season, and the Falcons could still win the division.

HA! BEst case scenario falcons are two back from the saints (assuming here they beat the saint in a couple weeks), falcons would have to go on an insane run and need the saints to lose a couple they should win. Realistically falcons are a wc team best case, and that may even be a stretch. However, heres my thoughts on where things are

Mahomes

Brees

Rivers 

Gurley

Ryan (if falcons get in)

Just now, Forge said:

He's my number 3. Pretty incredible what he has done so far. It's hard to beat Brees and Mahomes right now, but he has to be next man up in my opinion. Hope he keeps it up all year. 

Yeah, I have Mahomes and Brees ahead. But Rivers should be in the top 5. 

1 minute ago, GSUeagles14 said:

HA! BEst case scenario falcons are two back from the saints (assuming here they beat the saint in a couple weeks), falcons would have to go on an insane run and need the saints to lose a couple they should win. Realistically falcons are a wc team best case, and that may even be a stretch. However, heres my thoughts on where things are

Mahomes

Brees

Rivers 

Gurley

Ryan (if falcons get in)

I wouldn't say it's a stretch at all to think Falcons could go on a run and the Saints could drop a few.  Falcons already almost beat the Saints, and the Saints have won several close games they easily could have lost.

28 minutes ago, footbull3196 said:

Cam is playing very well and probably on the level of the people actually in the conversation, but not in a way that translates to pretty passer rating #s relative to the others.

Archived