• Patrick Mahomes
    • Drew Brees
    • Tom Brady
    • Todd Gurley
    • Jared Goff
    • Matt Ryan
    • Phillip Rivers
    • Cam Newton

The recency bias on these board is really bad. Rivers is not winning the MVP at all. 

I thought he made some great throws tonight but he also had two poor underthrown throws and also prayers which ended up in INTs or nearly INT.

Mahomes was better.

1 hour ago, BayRaider said:

If Brees does well this week we are right back to neck and neck. 

He'd had to have a monster game, 400 yards and 5 TDs. I don't see it happening. Saints are content to run ball control and be methodical and that doesn't lend itself to a bunch of spectacular moments like the ones Mahomes has.

It's just frustrating because for years and years Brees got stuck with this "stat padder" label, people saying that he just put up empty stats like he was Kirk Cousins or something, even though the Saints literally had some of the worst defenses in NFL history during those years.

Now they win a ton of games and he has very good numbers and historically good efficiency but somehow that's not good enough now. Every year it seems like they change the definition of MVP to whatever narrative Brees doesn't happen to fulfill at the moment.

If the man threw for 5500 yards and 50 TDs and 125 passer rating and the Saints won 14 games, they'd probably give it to a defensive player that had 20 sacks or something. Whatever. He's a Cap Rooney in a Willie Beamon world. Even if he's still good, everybody has moved on, they're not interested in the old guy anymore.

1 hour ago, Destructo Spin said:

He'd had to have a monster game, 400 yards and 5 TDs. I don't see it happening. Saints are content to run ball control and be methodical and that doesn't lend itself to a bunch of spectacular moments like the ones Mahomes has.

It's just frustrating because for years and years Brees got stuck with this "stat padder" label, people saying that he just put up empty stats like he was Kirk Cousins or something, even though the Saints literally had some of the worst defenses in NFL history during those years.

Now they win a ton of games and he has very good numbers and historically good efficiency but somehow that's not good enough now. Every year it seems like they change the definition of MVP to whatever narrative Brees doesn't happen to fulfill at the moment.

If the man threw for 5500 yards and 50 TDs and 125 passer rating and the Saints won 14 games, they'd probably give it to a defensive player that had 20 sacks or something. Whatever. He's a Cap Rooney in a Willie Beamon world. Even if he's still good, everybody has moved on, they're not interested in the old guy anymore.

So what you're saying is, Drew Brees hasn't been good enough to win an MVP? 

Got it.

Pat Mahomes played well. He had some epic moments that would have been remembered if the team (Reid/Sutton tradition in KC) didn't play conservative in the final 5 minutes thinking the game was locked up. Rivers isn't in the discussion for MVP and had a below average overall game. 

40 minutes ago, SwoleXmad said:

So what you're saying is, Drew Brees hasn't been good enough to win an MVP? 

Got it.

You probably are hoping for an equally snarky response, but I don't play that game. So I will simply say this:

He has been good enough, but the voters chose poorly. There was a moment right after XLIV when it was undeniable and seemed like the voters collectively went "Yeah, I think we messed up."

It'll be a shame if he retires without winning an MVP but it will also goes to show how flawed and subjective the process is.

10 hours ago, Destructo Spin said:

You probably are hoping for an equally snarky response, but I don't play that game. So I will simply say this:

He has been good enough, but the voters chose poorly. There was a moment right after XLIV when it was undeniable and seemed like the voters collectively went "Yeah, I think we messed up."

It'll be a shame if he retires without winning an MVP but it will also goes to show how flawed and subjective the process is.

Nah I wasn't. 

Brees hasn't won an MVP because it's hard to win an MVP, only one QB can win one per year duh and even then like once every 8-10 years some RB has a really good year. 

The process isn't flawed because it's nothing more than just voting and opinions on who had the best season. I'd say the biggest flaw with it is it doesn't take post-season into account.

I mean sure you can say Brees deserved the 2009 MVP more than Peyton but he did win a SB MVP so......kind of a wash.

1 hour ago, CKS97 said:

Plot twist- Brees and Mahomes both wet the bed, Rivers has a Raven clunker, Pats win out, Brady steals the award

Double plot twist- Brees and Mahomes don't wet the bed, Rivers doesn't have a Raven clunker, the Pats don't win out, Brady steals the award :D

1 hour ago, CKS97 said:

Plot twist- Brees and Mahomes both wet the bed, Rivers has a Raven clunker, Pats win out, Brady steals the award

1 minute ago, tyler735 said:

Double plot twist- Brees and Mahomes don't wet the bed, Rivers doesn't have a Raven clunker, the Pats don't win out, Brady steals the award :D

Triple plot twist- all of this happens but Peyton Manning releases a new commercial congratulating Tom Brady on passing him on the all-time records list and the NFL finds it a very generous gesture and awards him honorary MVP.

1 hour ago, CKS97 said:

Brady will start by playing his favourite defence this weekend and maybe  he will steal the award. I would say they should give the voter an option to split the vote and then people can vote for the 2 leaders, they win and everyone is happy for a change. Awards mean nothing if you are sitting at home watching others win the SB anyways

Growing sentiments are Drew Brees will win this award. NFL.com had a article were excutives are raving about Brees season and are too harshly criticizing Mahomes in his big time matchups last few weeks

"Only one I'm sure on is MVP = Brees," texted an NFC general manager -- and the panel agreed, rewarding the league's all-time leading passer with 10 votes for a remarkable season at age 39. Is there a sentimental aspect to giving the highest individual honor to a veteran who may never have another crack at winning it? Probably. One NFC executive admitted as much in giving the nod to Brees over Chiefs quarterback Patrick Mahomes, who was the runner-up with six votes. "I just think (Brees has) played the best," a different NFC exec said. "He's completed almost 75 percent of his passes, 8.15 (per pass) -- it's amazing. Mahomes, (Philip) Rivers -- they're right there. But I just say Brees. He's the best quarterback and, right now, they're the best team."

The 37-year-old Rivers received three votes for what statistically has been his best NFL season. Rams running back Todd Gurley received one. "The numbers are just ungodly (for Mahomes). But how much of it is Andy Reid?" an AFC executive said. "The threat of that f------ running game is what makes all of that s--- work in L.A. So I'm saying Gurley."

Archived