• Drew Brees
    • Tom Brady
    • Todd Gurley
    • Jared Goff
    • Matt Ryan
    • Phillip Rivers
    • Cam Newton

5 hours ago, Raves said:

A lot of the people dismissing what Brees is doing right now is probably because this is pretty much the standard he has set for himself, though for some reason people still think he doesn't belong in the conversation with Manning/Brady.  If the stats Drew Brees is putting up were put up by say, Jared Goff, they would be talking about how great of a season it is, how Goff is the MVP, you would never expect him to be so efficient, etc etc etc.  But because it Drew Brees and he has always been so efficient and putting up gawdy numbers, it's expected.  Seriously though, if you swapped Brees and Mahomes stats & team records, everyone would be clamoring for Mahomes to be the MVP due to record and how crazy efficient he has been.

Bless your heart. If you swapped Brees' stats with Goff's, people would be calling Goff a rich man's Sam Bradford and the puppet of McVay. Goff has to do twice as much to get credit. How do I know? Because Goff is already having an insanely efficient season, yet the narrative you see from opposing fans is still, "If we want to win, we need to make Goff beat us."

If you swapped Brees and Mahomes' stats, Brees would be the MVP frontrunner. By keeping them as they are, Brees is still the frontrunner. Why? Because the narrative is that it's Drew Brees' year.

5 minutes ago, jrry32 said:

Bless your heart. If you swapped Brees' stats with Goff's, people would be calling Goff a rich man's Sam Bradford and the puppet of McVay. Goff has to do twice as much to get credit. How do I know? Because Goff is already having an insanely efficient season, yet the narrative you see from opposing fans is still, "If we want to win, we need to make Goff beat us."

If you swapped Brees and Mahomes' stats, Brees would be the MVP frontrunner. By keeping them as they are, Brees is still the frontrunner. Why? Because the narrative is that it's Drew Brees' year.

I mean I think hoping that Goff makes a mistake is a lot better than letting the Rams control the clock while Gurley is getting 6 yards a carry when you aren't selling out to stop him.  I think Goff is having a great year, another one of those players that in a different season might've been able to get an MVP.

3 minutes ago, Raves said:

I mean I think hoping that Goff makes a mistake is a lot better than letting the Rams control the clock while Gurley is getting 6 yards a carry when you aren't selling out to stop him.  I think Goff is having a great year, another one of those players that in a different season might've been able to get an MVP.

When was the last time somebody said, "If we want to win, we need to stop Kamara/Ingram and make Brees beat us with his arm!"

6 minutes ago, jrry32 said:

When was the last time somebody said, "If we want to win, we need to stop Kamara/Ingram and make Brees beat us with his arm!"

2005?  But since then Brees has developed the reputation of the QB he is, Goff is on his way though.

7 minutes ago, Raves said:

2005?  But since then Brees has developed the reputation of the QB he is, Goff is on his way though.

So maybe we shouldn't pretend that Brees isn't getting enough credit and use Goff as an example of somebody who would get more? ;)

36 minutes ago, jrry32 said:

Oh please.  Goff is getting plenty of credit.  But your own fans have been promoting Todd Gurley for MVP most of the year.

Brees is the media golden boy this year, but if he had a worse record than Mahomes, and lost the biggest game of the year while committing five turnovers, Mahomes would be the frontrunner.  If Brees finishes with a worse record than Mahomes, and/or starts throwing picks, Mahomes is gonna win it. 

49 minutes ago, Jlowe22 said:

Oh please.  Goff is getting plenty of credit.  But your own fans have been promoting Todd Gurley for MVP most of the year.

Brees is the media golden boy this year, but if he had a worse record than Mahomes, and lost the biggest game of the year while committing five turnovers, Mahomes would be the frontrunner.  If Brees finishes with a worse record than Mahomes, and/or starts throwing picks, Mahomes is gonna win it. 

As I said, let me know when anyone thinks the key to beating the Saints is making Drew Brees throw the ball.

Just now, jrry32 said:

As I said, let me know when anyone thinks the key to beating the Saints is making Drew Brees throw the ball.

It has been said that the key to beating the Saints is to take away the short passes and make Brees throw deep.  It has been said before the last few games.  Shut down the run and the short passing game, and make Brees throw deep.  

It's kinda silly, because it's so much easier said then done, but it has been said.

4 minutes ago, Jlowe22 said:

It has been said that the key to beating the Saints is to take away the short passes and make Brees throw deep.  It has been said before the last few games.  Shut down the run and the short passing game, and make Brees throw deep.  

It's kinda silly, because it's so much easier said then done, but it has been said.

That's not even remotely similar.

Just now, Jlowe22 said:

Well who is saying what about making Goff beat you with his arm?  I'm legitimately asking because I've never heard that. 

It pops up from opposing team forums just about every week when they're talking about how to defend the Rams offense.

23 minutes ago, jrry32 said:

It pops up from opposing team forums just about every week when they're talking about how to defend the Rams offense.

Not to discredit Goff. I think most people would agree that Gurley is the better player and more difficult to stop. Even Rams fans agree as they’re praising Gurley for MVP and not Goff.

12 minutes ago, MookieMonstah said:

Not to discredit Goff. I think most people would agree that Gurley is the better player and more difficult to stop. Even Rams fans agree as they’re praising Gurley for MVP and not Goff.

Gurley is better relative to his peers, but Goff is more difficult to stop and impactful. The Broncos did the opposite strategy. They let Gurley run wild and dropped into coverage to stop the passing attack. They still lost, but they're the only team to hold us under 29 points.

Archived