• Drew Brees
    • Tom Brady
    • Todd Gurley
    • Jared Goff
    • Matt Ryan
    • Phillip Rivers
    • Cam Newton

1 minute ago, rocky_rams said:

Not exactly. What worked for the Saints was Talib not playing and Peters having the worst game of his career.  

Goff brought them back from 35-14 to 35 all

Did the Rams win? No. Did Gurley have a big game? No. Did the Saints play to stop Gurley? Yes. Did that plan work? Yes. Do your excuses mean anything? No.

6 minutes ago, tyler735 said:

Did the Rams win? No. Did Gurley have a big game? No. Did the Saints play to stop Gurley? Yes. Did that plan work? Yes. Do your excuses mean anything? No.

You sound like you didn’t watch the game. The saints never “stopped” Gurley. He had 13 carries for 68 yds with one td and 5.2 avg. that’s not exactly stopping 

Goff had one of his best career games in their stadium. Threw for 391 and 3 tds with 1 pick. And he brought us back from a 21 point deficit. 

If the defense didn’t give up so many points we would be having a different convo. Watch the game before you comment 

16 minutes ago, tyler735 said:

Sounds like some oversimplification to me. 

But to be fair, I didn't see the game so I don't really know lol. 

11 minutes ago, rocky_rams said:

You sound like you didn’t watch the game. The saints never “stopped” Gurley. He had 13 carries for 68 yds with one td and 5.2 avg. that’s not exactly stopping 

Goff had one of his best career games in their stadium. Threw for 391 and 3 tds with 1 pick. And he brought us back from a 21 point deficit. 

If the defense didn’t give up so many points we would be having a different convo. Watch the game before you comment 

You're wasting your time, Rocky. Anyone who thinks the Saints stopped Gurley isn't worth the effort. Anyone who knows football knows that the Rams getting stuck in a 35-14 hole forced them to go away from the running game.

14 minutes ago, rocky_rams said:

And Gurley had 7 catches for 11 yards...but narratives and stuff..

The initial point was, if you have a great offense (the Saints do). Focusing on stopping Gurley (19 touches for 79 yards), so he can't take control of the clock and forcing Goff into a shootout is the better option as it takes up less clock time, and allows more chances for a guy like Drew Brees to see the field. It worked for the Saints in this matchup. 

24 minutes ago, rocky_rams said:

Roethlisberger is more turnover prone, more athletic and mobile, and has a bigger arm than Brees. 

Brees is more of a pocket passer, more accurate, and better decision maker. 

Thats Goff (Brees) vs Mahomes/ Wentz(Roethlisberger) 

Sounds like some oversimplification to me.

16 minutes ago, rocky_rams said:

Roethlisberger is more turnover prone, more athletic and mobile, and has a bigger arm than Brees. 

Brees is more of a pocket passer, more accurate, and better decision maker. 

Thats Goff (Brees) vs Mahomes/ Wentz(Roethlisberger) 

I don't think Big Ben is a good comparison as he's never had nearly as good of an offensive production as Mahomes is doing right now or what I think he will do in the future considering he only passed for more than 30 TDs twice in his career.  Not to mention if you are going to use Big Ben for Mahomes, then you better use Alex Smith for Goff as that'd be a more apt relational comparison.

Heck through 11 games Mahomes is having a better season than ANY of Big Ben's seasons.  It's tough to compare these players based off just one season for Mahomes or a few seasons 2 good seasons for Goff.  But if I had to choose Mahomes would be closer to a more turnover prone Aaron Rodgers in skill set/ability. 

For Goff I don't think Brees is a good example, I think he's closer to what Tom Brady is with skill set, not his career accolades don't get them confused with his ability as a QB, but a smart pocket passer that is accurate and not the most mobile.

For that case I take the Rodgers skill set for my QB, even a more turnover prone one, over a Tom Brady skill set.  Obviously team accomplishments/accolades favored Brady in career comparison, but that goes deeper than just QB ability but to an overall team/organization dynamic that is the best in football.

10 minutes ago, Raves said:

I don't think Big Ben is a good comparison as he's never had nearly as good of an offensive production as Mahomes is doing right now or what I think he will do in the future considering he only passed for more than 30 TDs twice in his career.  Not to mention if you are going to use Big Ben for Mahomes, then you better use Alex Smith for Goff as that'd be a more apt relational comparison.

Heck through 11 games Mahomes is having a better season than ANY of Big Ben's seasons.  It's tough to compare these players based off just one season for Mahomes or a few seasons 2 good seasons for Goff.  But if I had to choose Mahomes would be closer to a more turnover prone Aaron Rodgers in skill set/ability. 

For Goff I don't think Brees is a good example, I think he's closer to what Tom Brady is with skill set, not his career accolades don't get them confused with his ability as a QB, but a smart pocket passer that is accurate and not the most mobile.

For that case I take the Rodgers skill set for my QB, even a more turnover prone one, over a Tom Brady skill set.  Obviously team accomplishments/accolades favored Brady in career comparison, but that goes deeper than just QB ability but to an overall team/organization dynamic that is the best in football.

Mahomes is not nearly as accurate as Rodgers. Mahomes is larger in size than Rodgers and is more turn over prone. The more accurate comparison is Ben. 

Just because Ben never put up the same numbers doesn’t mean it’s not a fair comparison. Ben never had an Andy Reid and the pass happy league arrived during the latter part of his career. 

Alex Smith can’t throw the long ball so that automatically excuses his comparison to Goff. 

You could’ve at least mentioned Matt Ryan. 

Speaking of offensive production, didn’t Smith have his best season under the exact same team Mahomes is heading now? 

9 minutes ago, rocky_rams said:

Mahomes is not nearly as accurate as Rodgers. Mahomes is larger in size than Rodgers and is more turn over prone. The more accurate comparison is Ben. 

Just because Ben never put up the same numbers doesn’t mean it’s not a fair comparison. Ben never had an Andy Reid and the pass happy league arrived during the latter part of his career. 

Alex Smith can’t throw the long ball so that automatically excuses his comparison to Goff. 

You could’ve at least mentioned Matt Ryan. 

Speaking of offensive production, didn’t Smith have his best season under the exact same team Mahomes is heading now? 

Did you not read where I said more turnover prone... also if we are going by size comparison too, then Goff is bigger than Brees doesn't work, Alex Smith is more apt...

Mahomes has been fairly accurate, not quite as accurate as Rodgers, but he's much more accurate than Big Ben and also more capable of thrower, much like Rodgers.

Like this isn't a knock on Goff to say I would prefer Mahomes, it's like debating between based off pure skill set, not team accomplishments, which of Manning, Brady, Rodgers, or Brees you want for your team, which then normally goes back to what type of offense you want to run.  None are the wrong answer, it's just a matter of preference.

I honestly am super excited to see the next 10+ years of football with Wentz/Goff in the NFC and Mahomes/Watson in the AFC to hopefully see two great QB battles within a conference battling it out year after year.  Then you add in guys like Luck and Wilson as well and it's going to be a great era for QB play.

37 minutes ago, Raves said:

I'd go the opposite direction. Look at how well Brady's game has aged. Look at how well Manning's game aged. Look at how well Brees' game aged. Look at how healthy all three guys stayed. 

Just now, jrry32 said:

I'd go the opposite direction. Look at how well Brady's game has aged. Look at how well Manning's game aged. Look at how well Brees' game aged. Look at how healthy all three guys stayed. 

You can't predict injuries.  I mean Donovan McNabb was fairly mobile and and ran and stayed pretty healthy.  Cam Newton runs a ton and stays healthy.  But I mean I'm only looking for the next 10 years for a QB, so that should be before Mahomes skillset starts to deteriorate.

8 hours ago, jrry32 said:

That's really not sound logic, but okay. You're making my point for me again. Nobody says, "I'd rather let Drew Brees beat me than Alvin Kamara." There's no way to argue that Goff gets the sort of credit and respect that Brees does.

Well Goff isn’t as good as Brees so why would he right now?

6 hours ago, jrry32 said:

You're wasting your time, Rocky. Anyone who thinks the Saints stopped Gurley isn't worth the effort. Anyone who knows football knows that the Rams getting stuck in a 35-14 hole forced them to go away from the running game.

How was Gurley as a receiver that game? Asking for a friend 

Archived