• Drew Brees
    • Tom Brady
    • Todd Gurley
    • Jared Goff
    • Matt Ryan
    • Phillip Rivers
    • Cam Newton

7 minutes ago, NFLExpert49 said:

I saw him play in college. He wasn't that good. He didn't suddenly become good in a year of sitting on the bench in the NFL. 

When you played in the infamously gimmicky Taxas Tech offense and had a lower completion percentage there than you did with the Chiefs, what does that say? 

Ah preconceived notions i remember when i used to have those.

It says he got great coaching and has a lot more talent surrounding him. 

If he was at Oklahoma he wouldve won the Heisman.

7 minutes ago, NFLExpert49 said:

I saw him play in college. He wasn't that good. He didn't suddenly become good in a year of sitting on the bench in the NFL. 

When you played in the infamously gimmicky Taxas Tech offense and had a lower completion percentage there than you did with the Chiefs, what does that say? 

It says that Andy Reid is one helluva good QB whisperer.   That doesn't change what Mahomes was able to do in 2018.   If anything, it says more to me about what Kingsbury & co. didn't do in Texas Tech.

15 minutes ago, NFLExpert49 said:

"Expert"

32 minutes ago, NFLExpert49 said:

You make a fair point about Texas Tech's offense being 'gimmicky' because they do produce a lot of QB's who rack of tons of yardage, kind of like Hawaii back in the day.  I watched Mahomes in college and I was really high on him before he was drafted because of his natural tools.  Even when Alex Smith was traded, if you go back and look at that thread or in the Chiefs thread, I was saying how high I was on Mahomes as a player.

Even if you don't like him, you have to acknowledge that he had a sensational season.  Will he be able to re-produce it?  Probably not since nobody has ever been able to re-produce a season of 50 TD's and 5,000 yards (only he and Peyton Manning have done it).

2 hours ago, NFLExpert49 said:

I don't know what you saw, but when i took a look at Mahomes it was obvious to me, that he could turn out into something special. I admit that i haven't been a football fan for too long. The 2017 draft class was just the 2nd draft class i closely followed. Maybe i was just lucky with my take on Mahomes and how it seems to turn out so far, but i became a real fan of him the more i looked into him. The moment we drafted him i felt pure joy and excitement, because i really believed in him and his abilities. I really believed that he was the perfect fit for us and that we were the perfect fit for him and his abilities. I wouldn't have thought he would be able to play such a season. Probably nobody would have expected that, but all the things he's doing this year that made him standout you can clearly see in his college days.

Back than he obviously already had a big time arm, that not even a lot of NFL QBs had. But he possesed more abilities than just a big arm. If you look closely into his college games, you can see that he did far more than just playing in a gimmicky Texas Tech offense. The Air raid offense implies simple reads by the QB, but people misjudged Mahomes a lot if they accused him of just executing simple reads within that type of offense. He had to make multiple reads and he executed them well. His pocket presence in college was really good as well. His O-Line was hot garbage, yet he often made the right decision to when to step out of the pocket and when to stay in the pocket. He often stepped out of the pocket, forcing him to throw on the run and although therefore he was quite accurate and made a ton of wow throws he continued to deliver this entire season, he obviously had the wild throws that he needed to limit in the NFL. A part of that did came from the trash defense he had at Texas Tech, forcing him to literally score on every play to keep give the team a chance to win the game. I don't think he ever had accuracy issues in college. He improved his accuracy every year and if you see him play behind that line you should know that he could get more accurate if his line just gives him a bit of time. The only worse trait he really had was his footwork. It was literally no footwork, which supports my thinking that his accuracy never was an issue.

For me it was obvious, that Mahomes fits perfectly into our team. Alex Smith is one of the smartest QBs in the league. I didn't know if Smith and Reid can teach Mahomes to secure the football, to limit the turnovers. So far it seems that Mahomes found a good balance. Obviously he still flashes that gunslinger mentality from time to time, but in general he seems to make smart decisions. Also i was confident that a guy like Andy Reid knows how to teach guys like Mahomes. He already did it with Favre so i was confident he can teach him how to use and play to his strengths in the NFL. I expected Mahomes to learn the basics of footwork and i was confident that it would improve his accuracy. Still to this day he does have some throws with absolutely no/poor footwork so he still has some room to improve in that regard, but i think overall he got the basics down. So overall i really felt that we can be the perfect fit for him. It's pure speculation, but i wouldn't underestimate the effect that one year of sitting on the bench and learning how the offense is working and how a veteran like Smith is preparing for the games in this league had on Mahomes, while he was able to work with great coaches. Not only with Reid, but also with Nagy and Kafka. To this point it seems it was the perfect situation for him to not be rushed into playing but to take the time adjusting to the level of play in this league.

In the end even if everything fall perfectly into place for him, he already had a lot of traits shown in college that i wasn't surprise to see translated into his play in the NFL. I always felt confident in this kid and his abilities and that he would turn out to be a franchise QB in this league. I'm not making the mistake to expect him to surpass this season in the next season or the next couple of seasons, because i think this season was something special, but i do think that he showed so many things this season that you can't just say it was a fluke and he will crush down in the next seasons. I think you can say that Mahomes has become a franchise QB in this league. We'll see how he performs in the next years, to find a more accurate judgement of his general status within the league, but with everything he has shown i'm certain he's gonna make his way in the league.

To go back to the topic. This season of Mahomes was special. Without him we would be nothing, especially with our defense. We might not even have made the playoffs, so yes i think Mahomes was the most valuable player.

Just for the record, I don't get the argument regarding "If the Chiefs didn't have Patrick Mahomes they probably wouldn't have made the playoffs"... You can say that for any of the elite QB's in the league, though.  Without Drew Brees, the Saints would be significantly worse.  Without Tom Brady, the Patriots might have won 4 games if they were lucky.  To me, that shouldn't factor into the argument at all.

The reason Mahomes should win the award is because he has had by far the best season in the league and one of the greatest QB seasons ever recorded.

Mahomes also ran for 272 yards.

When the Saints needed 192 rushing yards from the QB position, they took Brees out of the game or lined him up wide.

Mahomes made the playoffs and got the #1 seed with a defense that ranked 24/31.

When Brees has a D like that, people make excuses for why he was 7-9.

2 hours ago, showtime said:

Just for the record, I don't get the argument regarding "If the Chiefs didn't have Patrick Mahomes they probably wouldn't have made the playoffs"... You can say that for any of the elite QB's in the league, though.  Without Drew Brees, the Saints would be significantly worse.  Without Tom Brady, the Patriots might have won 4 games if they were lucky.  To me, that shouldn't factor into the argument at all.

The reason Mahomes should win the award is because he has had by far the best season in the league and one of the greatest QB seasons ever recorded.

I use the reverse to not cry myself to sleep as a 49er fan (regardless of whether or not it's true) 

"If Jimmy didn't get hurt we are a playoff team and not the second worst team in the nfl....if jimmy didn't get hurt, we are a playoff team and not the second worst team in the nfl...if Jimmy didn't get hurt....If Jimmy...."

24 minutes ago, Forge said:

I use the reverse to not cry myself to sleep as a 49er fan (regardless of whether or not it's true) 

"If Jimmy didn't get hurt we are a playoff team and not the second worst team in the nfl....if jimmy didn't get hurt, we are a playoff team and not the second worst team in the nfl...if Jimmy didn't get hurt....If Jimmy...."

If Jimmy doesn't get hurt, they still finish third in the NFC West and don't make the playoffs.  Yea, they win more games (obviously), but the end results don't change.

So sleep well.

3 minutes ago, showtime said:

If Jimmy doesn't get hurt, they still finish third in the NFC West and don't make the playoffs.  Yea, they win more games (obviously), but the end results don't change.

So sleep well.

We are in the playoffs!!!!! I saw it in the flames. 

28 minutes ago, Forge said:

If Jimmy didn't get hurt, you don't end up with the 1.2 pick that should net you the pass rusher you need to really take that D to the next level (provided you either trade for that shutdown CB too, or find one later in draft / FA).   Then you're cooking with gas in 2019.

Just now, Broncofan said:

If Jimmy didn't get hurt, you don't end up with the 1.2 pick that should net you the pass rusher you need to really take that D to the next level (provided you either trade for that shutdown CB too, or find one later in draft / FA).   Then you're cooking with gas in 2019.

True. It was always going to be 2019 anyway before we really had a shot. I was one of those guys saying we would finish between 7-9 wins, no playoffs this year, so it may actually be all for the better, as you suggest lol

2 minutes ago, Forge said:

True. It was always going to be 2019 anyway before we really had a shot. I was one of those guys saying we would finish between 7-9 wins, no playoffs this year, so it may actually be all for the better, as you suggest lol

Sometimes you have to lose the battle to win the war.

Archived