Week 10: Miami WontWins @ Green Bay GDT

incognito_man

Yeah Jones is clearly the most explosive back we've had...in awhile. The eye test is confirmed by his 10yd split numbers too. Probably my favorite measure for a RB.

Starks and Grant were striders. Lacy was good for his size, but that doesn't equate to being good compared to Aaron Jones.

Jones is the sharpest guy through the LOS in a long time here.

Special Teams was pretty abysmal today:

-T. Williams fumbles on a punt return

-Patrick recovers and is injured on a kickoff that likely would have gone out of bounds

-J. Williams unneccessary roughness brings a kickoff return back to the 10

-Punt Block allowed

-allowed conversion on fake punt (2nd time this season)

There were several other kicks (at least 2 PATs, at least one punt) that MIA didn't block, but was very close to blocking.

We converted a fake punt of our own, but at that point in the game it seemed kind of unnecessary.

2 hours ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

I seriously believe this, Lacy was something special. His ability to stop, jump cut, and go for a man his size was incredible. 

Part of it may be that Jones is good enough with his vision that he never is forced to come to that complete stop and restart, but when Jones stops his feet, his feet tend to stay stopped. 

I don't know much about Jones in high school, but Lacy didn't have a track background. That matters with those times. 

According to Jones' college player page, they mention he had HS track experience: 

"played varsity basketball and competed on the track and field team for Burges ... El Paso Times All-City selection on the hardwood ... a member of the 1600m relay state championship team after taking the district title"

https://utepathletics.com/roster.aspx?rp_id=344

https://www.athletic.net/TrackAndField/Athlete.aspx?AID=3082550#!/L0

2 hours ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

I seriously believe this, Lacy was something special. His ability to stop, jump cut, and go for a man his size was incredible. 

Part of it may be that Jones is good enough with his vision that he never is forced to come to that complete stop and restart, but when Jones stops his feet, his feet tend to stay stopped. 

I generally agree with most of what you'd say, but I definitely wouldn't agree with him being as quick as Jones.  Lacy has surprisingly nimble feet, especially for a man his size.  But he wasn't overly explosive.

3 hours ago, Sasquatch said:

Yep.  Future looks very bright, for both the offense and defense.  Add some discipline and solid game planning and you have a dang solid team moving forward.

Offensively, there are some pieces that moving forward make me optimistic.  We've got a couple of young WRs in MVS and ESB and paired with Davante Adams gives me hope with our wide receivers.  If Aaron Jones would get some consistent with snaps, I'd feel a bit more comfortable with him but he's clearly the most talented of our backs.  On the OL, the only two guys I feel comfortable are going to be starting 2+ years from now are David Bakhtiari and Corey Linsley.  Defensively, I can't help but feel we need to add another DL or two to the mix short of Montravius Adams coming on towards the end of the season.  The LB group has a whole is still miserable, but we've got a ton of talent at CB.  The safety position needs to be overhauled at this point.

2 minutes ago, Outpost31 said:

lacy.gif

eddie-lacy-trucks-viking-a.gif?w=500

2014-10-0219_19_58.gif

lacy37.gif

eddie-lacygif-00a09bbeb6619172.gif

Eddie Lacy wasn't fast at all. 

Oh man, I remember most of those plays.  He was such a beast - with speed - and his power was insane.  I completely agree with @AlexGreen#20 that Lacy was just as explosive, pound-for-pound as Jones.  Both are very good backs, just wish Lacy would’ve panned out.  I really liked him.

11 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

Offensively, there are some pieces that moving forward make me optimistic.  We've got a couple of young WRs in MVS and ESB and paired with Davante Adams gives me hope with our wide receivers.  If Aaron Jones would get some consistent with snaps, I'd feel a bit more comfortable with him but he's clearly the most talented of our backs.  On the OL, the only two guys I feel comfortable are going to be starting 2+ years from now are David Bakhtiari and Corey Linsley.  Defensively, I can't help but feel we need to add another DL or two to the mix short of Montravius Adams coming on towards the end of the season.  The LB group has a whole is still miserable, but we've got a ton of talent at CB.  The safety position needs to be overhauled at this point.

Agree with all of this, and for the first time in some number of years I’m feeling very hopeful and optimistic that many of those needs will be addressed successfully.  People got down on Ted for not addressing need, but I think he did, just not as successfully in the the latter part of his tenure.  I can’t say with certainty that Gute will be more successful than Ted, but I’m feeling optimistic from the small sample size we’ve seen thus far.

@Slinky it’s hard to know for sure, and Jones has a terrific burst.  You’re right, it’s hard to compare from the gifs so I can only go by my recollection of Lacy, but I certainly remember telling myself that Lacy’s speed was always a surprise given his size.  Given Lacy’s size and power, his corresponding speed was uncanny and eye-opening....until he let himself go, and then he wasn’t as quick.

12 minutes ago, FinneasGage said:

josh jackson been looking p bad

only real negative besides rodgers missing throws and then looking at the grass to blame it instead of ever being like my b

Getting tired of Aaron always bitching or making gestures after every missed connection. I'm sure he's frustrated with some of the miscommunications, but man the F up. 

Archived