Week 9 Post-Game: Packers 17 Patriots 31

Packer_ESP

6 minutes ago, 15412 said:

The Jones fumble and the personal foul to their punter are the two plays that sucked the wind out of us.  We could have won that game.  Our defense played an excellent 3 qtrs., they fell down in one.  Rodgers played better than he has in most games this year, and still was inconsistent.  McCarthy has beaten Bilichick before, did he outcoach him then?   Not necessarily, and he wasn't outcoached necessarily in this game.  We played a very good team in their house against a QB who while is starting to decline is still a whole lot more consistent than our QB.   Primarily in decision making, but for this season as a whole in accuracy as well.

The personal foul to the punter did not play a huge role in the outcome because we held them to 3 and out after that call.

36 minutes ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

Who are the teams you think have more than 5?

The Saints you could probably make an argument for.

I'm not sure I'm seeing any others though I'm probably missing a few. 

Off the top of my head; Rams, Viks, Jags, NO, Pitt. 

17 minutes ago, SAM said:

Off the top of my head; Rams, Viks, Jags, NO, Pitt. 

Rams have: Goff, Gurley, Donald, Suh, and . . . I can't come up with a fifth.

Vikings have: Harrison Smith and Xavier Rhodes. Do you love Linval Joseph?

Jaguars have: Norwell, Campbell, Bouye (if you still count him) and Ramsey

Saints I think do with Brees, Kamara, Thomas, pick your favorite of the tackles, and one of the defenders be it Jordan, or Lattimore.

Steelers have: Ben, Brown, DeCastro, Heyward, and I don't have a fifth.

Using the player voted top 100 of 2018 from the NFL Network (not a perfect test, but it's something):

-Patriots have 2: Brady and Gronk
-Saints have 6: Thomas, Brees, Lattimore, Ingram, Kamara, Jordan
-Jaguars have 6: Campbell, Ramsey, Bouye, Fournette, Smith, Ngakoue.
-Rams have 8: Gurley, Donald, Ramsey, Goff, Talib, Suh, Peters, Whitworth
-Steelers have 7: Brown, Bell, Roethlisberger, DeCastro, Shazier, Heyward.
-Packers have 5: Adams, Rodgers, Graham, Bakhtiari, Daniels.
-Vikings have 7: Griffen, Thielen, Smith, Rhodes, Diggs, Joseph, Cousins.

And then of those listed players, Ingram hasn't exactly been a factor for the Saints, Lattimore is not playing as well as last year, the Jaguars are a mess, Talib has been out and Peters has been abused by opposing QBs, Shazier never returned from injury, Bell is holding out (Conner has been great though), Big Ben is swingy, Graham has been hot/cold, Diggs has been injured, etc.

Having those Top 100 players is great, but the strength of a lot of these teams is coaching that uses those 'above-average to solid' starter level players well. 

Packers aren't doing that right now.

2 hours ago, PACKRULE said:

Yeah that penalty hurt, it was first though wasn't it? Why didn't we run the darned ball? Anyone know how many rushing attempts we had in the RZ last night?

I was arguing with the neighbors dog that they needed to run it down there.  I believe Aaron likes to score....and throwing puts more control into his hands, which is where he wants it.  So...if the defensive look isn't ideal, he's chucking the rock.

Back when he could move good, I was all for that, as his feet were as deadly as his arm.  Now?  Not so much.  

1 hour ago, Leader said:

Understood - and I'm not offering this tweet as evidence to support some personal argument.

In honesty, I questioned the play call in real time. Third and goal from the.....14 (?) and we're throwing WR screens? But - this tweet did highlight the play design was better than I picked up in real time - or the TV announcers discussed at the time. Would the play have worked (?) - would Cobb have scored (?) - I'm not here to declare he would have. Unlike some around here, I dont anoint myself with NFL coaching brilliance - but the play appears at least to have been better planned than it initially appeared. The bad throw from AR pretty much doomed it.

I'm in agreement with you concerning the play.  If you look at that defensive set, I don't think we squeeze a skinny post into that zone.  The best shot at getting one was by creating blockers in front of the ball carrier.  I think one could argue that a slower developing screen may have been the way to go...get those linemen upfield a little more than a stand up pass.  But...I didn't notice that the screen was setup on both sides...it was and is an interesting playcall.  Wish it would not have been necessary!

3 hours ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

Who are the teams you think have more than 5?

The Saints you could probably make an argument for.

I'm not sure I'm seeing any others though I'm probably missing a few. 

Vikings for sure. 

Rhodes, Smith, Griffen, Thielin, Diggs, Cousins. And probably a couple others. 

1 minute ago, Cheesehawk said:

Vikings for sure. 

Rhodes, Smith, Griffen, Thielin, Diggs, Cousins. And probably a couple others. 

Top 100 is a pretty sharp cut off. You're saying basically that a guy is a top 5 guy at his position (or Top 15 in the case of a WR/CB)

Kirk Cousins isn't a top 5 QB.

Griffen is definitely not a top 10 Pass Rusher this year. 

Diggs hasn't been a top 15 receiver this year. 

Just now, AlexGreen#20 said:

Top 100 is a pretty sharp cut off. You're saying basically that a guy is a top 5 guy at his position (or Top 15 in the case of a WR/CB)

Kirk Cousins isn't a top 5 QB.

Griffen is definitely not a top 10 Pass Rusher this year. 

Diggs hasn't been a top 15 receiver this year. 

Kirk Cousins would probably land in most peoples top 10. And Griffen and Diggs aren’t towards the top because they’ve been hurt or having mental breaks. I get what you’re saying. Forget the whole top 100 thing.. Vikings just have more talent then we do

Just now, Cheesehawk said:

Kirk Cousins would probably land in most peoples top 10. And Griffen and Diggs aren’t towards the top because they’ve been hurt or having mental breaks. I get what you’re saying. Forget the whole top 100 thing.. Vikings just have more talent then we do

QB: Packers

RB: Gonna call it a push but probably a homer push.

WR: Vikings

TE: Packers

OT: Packers

OG: Vikings

OC: Push, maybe a homer push

+++

IDL: Push

Edge: Vikings

ILB: Vikings

CB: Vikings

S: Vikings

We've got a more talented offense, they've got a more talented defense. Their defense is probably more talented relative to our offense is than our defense is to their offense. 

+++

Is Aaron Rodgers going to be MVP Aaron Rodgers or Husk Aaron Rodgers? That's what it comes down to, also the Vikings may very well be the most taletnted team in the league on paper other than possibly the Saints. 

10 minutes ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

Is Aaron Rodgers going to be MVP Aaron Rodgers or Husk Aaron Rodgers? That's what it comes down to, also the Vikings may very well be the most taletnted team in the league on paper other than possibly the Saints. 

Pretty much agree with each position group. But this is the key, and it will continue to be the case for this Packers roster. Because Cousins is certainly playing better than Rodgers at this point. 

9 hours ago, {Family Ghost} said:

I'm not sure Rodgers has as much freedom as people think he has.  He basically said a few weeks ago that he has control over 2 minute drives, but the rest was MM.  Greg Jennings backed that up in his interview with Rich Eisen the other day.  Jennings said that once Favre left MM grabbed control of the offense and has never given Rodgers the same latitude that he gave Favre.  Jennings could be wrong .. I dunno?

But we've seen AR use the 'kill' sign and changed plays at the LOS so he does have some latitude.

Archived