Players that are playing a lot better than their stats indicate

Elky

Sadly, I don't know if there's a single 49er that falls into this category. Buckner is damn good, but his stats aren't awful, particularly when you look at the rest of the defense (5.5 sacks, 8 tfl), even though he has disappeared for stretches. 

Kittle's stats are in line with his play. O-line doesn't really have "stats". 

I mean, I guess Richard Sherman qualifies? He's shut down his area of the field for the most part. I don't know if that's because he's been really really good, or if he's getting the scrabble treatment where quarterbacks are just choosing to ignore the single quality secondary player the defense has and picking on everyone else. 

9 hours ago, 3rivers said:

He is a legit threat at DE and for some reason doesn't get the recognition.  

Steelers fans will say Haden, despite the lame rating PFF gives him. Having a solid season.

Yeah Haden's pretty good.  Also Brown having a down year in yardage isn't really too indicative of his play this year.

After thinking on this for a bit, for KC I'd say Steven Nelson. Our pass defense looks atrocious at a glance, but a lot of the issues have been from S and ILB play. Our CB play has actually been solid, and Nelson has been the best of them. His personal coverage stats might not even reflect that, due to volume and a lack of S support on go routes (so many go routes thrown his way), but he has been very reliable most of the season.

He did have a rough first like 2 or 3 games though, which hurts. But there was a stretch after that where he was allowing like a 33% completion percentage over 4 or 5 games. Was like 10th in passer rating against, last I saw. And ended the game against Cleveland with a clever INT.

On 07/11/2018 at 11:22 PM, NJerseypaint said:

I'd like to throw Jamal Adams into the mix. He's being overshadowed by a terrible team but he has been all over the place this year producing fumbles, swatting down passes, making sacks and run stops. He's an absolute animal.

You could see it live in the Broncos game, but after watching all 22 you could see him and Leonard Williams were so far above everyone else on the field.

The Jets played a lot of Cover 1 on 1st down with 8 in the box; Adams played the single high Safety at times and still got to the LOS to stop running plays for 1/2 yards. I've not seen a Safety do that since Ed Reed in his prime. Unbelievable talent. And, when he's the 8th man in the box - look out. Violent, violent football player. Loved watching him, even if it was at the expense of my own team.

2 hours ago, Jakuvious said:

After thinking on this for a bit, for KC I'd say Steven Nelson. Our pass defense looks atrocious at a glance, but a lot of the issues have been from S and ILB play. Our CB play has actually been solid, and Nelson has been the best of them. His personal coverage stats might not even reflect that, due to volume and a lack of S support on go routes (so many go routes thrown his way), but he has been very reliable most of the season.

He did have a rough first like 2 or 3 games though, which hurts. But there was a stretch after that where he was allowing like a 33% completion percentage over 4 or 5 games. Was like 10th in passer rating against, last I saw. And ended the game against Cleveland with a clever INT.

I came away pretty impressed with him last week. Then again, our inconsistent WR play has made a lot of CBs look good this year.

3 hours ago, lomaxgrUK said:

You could see it live in the Broncos game, but after watching all 22 you could see him and Leonard Williams were so far above everyone else on the field.

The Jets played a lot of Cover 1 on 1st down with 8 in the box; Adams played the single high Safety at times and still got to the LOS to stop running plays for 1/2 yards. I've not seen a Safety do that since Ed Reed in his prime. Unbelievable talent. And, when he's the 8th man in the box - look out. Violent, violent football player. Loved watching him, even if it was at the expense of my own team.

His play at the LOS is phenomenal. He's still missing that ball hawk element that made guys Ed Reed so dangerous, and at times his coverage can be awful, but it's only year 2. It's going to be  a real let down if we can't field a quality team by the time his rookie contract is up.

Archived