Starters you want back in 2019

Humble_Beast

16 hours ago, big_palooka said:

The Jamarcus one was an all timer. He was all about Schilens, DHB if memory serves. Bascially any player who flashed anything, he drank it up.

Schilens was a classic one! Didn't we have a grand debate over whether the great Bruce Gradkowski was our QBoTF at one stage too :)

1 hour ago, Darbsk said:

Schilens was a classic one! Didn't we have a grand debate over whether the great Bruce Gradkowski was our QBoTF at one stage too :)

Lol Bruce was the truth for a while there. Him and Fargas were 2 of my faves. Gutsy overachievers who never quit and always played hard.

And K Mo! I thought he was gonna be great. 150+ tackles a year cuz our d-line couldn't plug a hole to save their lives 😂

Man, looking back, it's been REALLY bad for a LONG time lol

18 minutes ago, riceman80 said:

Lol Bruce was the truth for a while there. Him and Fargas were 2 of my faves. Gutsy overachievers who never quit and always played hard.

And K Mo! I thought he was gonna be great. 150+ tackles a year cuz our d-line couldn't plug a hole to save their lives 😂

Man, looking back, it's been REALLY bad for a LONG time lol

True, true.............. I always like the 'crash test dummy' Fargas. I must admit I fell in the Trevor Scott trap, thought he could be an edge rusher of some repute!

Terdell Sands was another one who had a very brief spark before reality took hold :$

2 hours ago, Darbsk said:

Any QB who takes a snap in Oakland, we've had that debate lol. McGloin was the QBOTF for a minute after that game against Houston.

38 minutes ago, big_palooka said:

Any QB who takes a snap in Oakland, we've had that debate lol. McGloin was the QBOTF for a minute after that game against Houston.

:D too true unfortunately. Even Charlie Fry was the heir apparent at one stage!

On 11/28/2018 at 8:34 AM, big_palooka said:

The Jamarcus one was an all timer. He was all about Schilens, DHB if memory serves. Bascially any player who flashed anything, he drank it up.

Remember when there was 'debate' of TP vs Palmer? One went on to start as a solid QB for years after leaving. The other fizzled out as a QB and now has fizzled out as a WR. Good times.

Starters I want back in 2018:

Offense:
Carr, interior OL, Kolton MIller, Paker (as a reserve, or competing for the spot, I"m not giving up on him yet), Martavis (need more time to see him), Richard

Defense:

Hall, Hurst, Key, Karl Joseph, Conley

Seriously will be some positions of need. 5 picks in the top 65 will help, as will the cash.

3 hours ago, MrOaktown_56 said:

Starters I want back in 2018:

Offense:
Carr, interior OL, Kolton MIller, Paker (as a reserve, or competing for the spot, I"m not giving up on him yet), Martavis (need more time to see him), Richard

Defense:

Hall, Hurst, Key, Karl Joseph, Conley

Seriously will be some positions of need. 5 picks in the top 65 will help, as will the cash.

Its weird to think keeping 4 or 5 of our current line when they can't pass block to save their lives. But then again, if we get a better OL coach and maybe incorporate some rollouts, it could work. Carr needs improve pocket presence though. He's made some progress rebounding from his broken psyche over the course of the year but he needs to be better.

Our rookies desperately need an offseason of NFL training.

4 minutes ago, Silver&Black88 said:

Its weird to think keeping 4 or 5 of our current line when they can't pass block to save their lives. But then again, if we get a better OL coach and maybe incorporate some rollouts, it could work. Carr needs improve pocket presence though. He's made some progress rebounding from his broken psyche over the course of the year but he needs to be better.

Our rookies desperately need an offseason of NFL training.

I think there are a few reasons for this. One, the interior OL is banged up. Two, we aren't running a lot of max protect or using lee smith as a pass blocker enough. Three, the tackles are young and Miller has been really unhealthy. I think he's a fine OT when healthy and he's still very raw/young. There will be a jump in protection next year.

Just check the Seattle OL play this year.

When we get rid of the Cable man, our interior could once again serve as a top unit and our rookies have a chance to develope. 

Don't forget folks that Parker played only LT before this season his hole life, so he is not just making a huge jump from a small school to the NFL, but he also makes a left-right switch which is not an easy thing to do...just ask Penn...

Parker has the tools IMO, he "just" needs a quality OL coach and time. I would keep Penn around for 2019 or bring in a veteran OT and if Parker needs more time we could roll with the stop gap in front of him next year.

Penn is done. His age is catching up with him unfortunately. Getting put on IR early in the season at this stage of his career is a sign he’s starting to slip. The guy was a great LT but it’s time to let go. 

Cable also isn’t going anywhere. The line is too beat up which will be his excuse and we’ll get another season of Carr running for his life. 

39 minutes ago, Chali21 said:

Penn is done. His age is catching up with him unfortunately. Getting put on IR early in the season at this stage of his career is a sign he’s starting to slip. The guy was a great LT but it’s time to let go. 

Cable also isn’t going anywhere. The line is too beat up which will be his excuse and we’ll get another season of Carr running for his life. 

100% agree. Been a warrior for the Raiders. But coming off 2 season ending injuries now. Playing out of position. Time to move on.

I really really hope that isn't the case for Cable and I said the same thing. Gruden's comments about protection recently hopefully point to replacing Cable. If it's obvious to everyone else the turn around in Seattle and Oakland's Olines, it has to be obvious to Gruden.

38 minutes ago, Chali21 said:

Man looking back on the sides i chose on some of these debates...boy was i wrong especially with JR. but back then i was just a sweet summer child in high school. Now finding busts is much easier. 

Russell was an obvious one. When he came to the combine look like an offensive guard weighing in, I was vocal that he wasn't it. Talent can't mask lazy in a QB. That was so hard too because Peterson and CJ were college proven commodities. You could look at both those alpha dogs and tell they were going to be special. 

Raider fans for whatever reason falls for H/W/S guys. Vernon Gholston was strongly debated. Bruce Campbell.  Obi most recently. 

16 minutes ago, big_palooka said:

Russell was an obvious one. When he came to the combine look like an offensive guard weighing in, I was vocal that he wasn't it. Talent can't mask lazy in a QB. That was so hard too because Peterson and CJ were college proven commodities. You could look at both those alpha dogs and tell they were going to be special. 

Raider fans for whatever reason falls for H/W/S guys. Vernon Gholston was strongly debated. Bruce Campbell.  Obi most recently. 

Well Al Davis conditioned us I guess I still wish we could back and look at the draft thread in 07. I still remember Oaktown OG’s thread calling Russ the Savior of the franchise.

Archived