Starters you want back in 2019

Humble_Beast

8 hours ago, Bitty 2.0 said:

Since the Cooper trade these are Carrs numbers last 7 games.

105   QB rating 

1751 yards

11 TDs

0 INTs

It clearly wasn't working for either player for whatever reason here. Trade looks good for both teams. Cooper gets a fresh start and Raiders can try to find a WR that has more chemistry with Carr.

21 minutes ago, big_palooka said:

It clearly wasn't working for either player for whatever reason here. Trade looks good for both teams. Cooper gets a fresh start and Raiders can try to find a WR that has more chemistry with Carr.

I 100%  agree, I have no ill will for Cooper.

• 3 weeks later...

my updated list of starters I want back in 2019

Offense:

QB: Carr

RB: ????

FB: K Smith

WR1: ????

WR2: Nelson

Slot:  ????

TE: Cook

LT: Miller

LG: KO

C: Hudson

RG: Jackson

RT:  Free Agent - need a vet to challenge Parker since we just invested in Parker

Defense:

DE: ?????

3T: Hurst/Hall

NT: Hankins/Ellis

DE: ?????? 

WLB: Whitehead

MLB: ???????

SLB: Lee

CB1: Conely

CB2: Worely

Slot: Free Agent- need a vet to challenge Nelson, I'm high on Nick

FS: Joseph

SS: ?????????

K: Carlson

P: ????????

LS: Sieg

So you re-signed Cook, Hankins and Worely. I can all see them demand starter money, so let's assume they want combined $20 million.

According to spotrace we have $75 mio in cap space for 2019. After re-signing these guys that leaves us $55 million. However i would cut Penn, Wilber, Lee Smith and McCarron, which would save $15 million getting us back at $70 million. Cutting Jordy Nelson and Seth Roberts would save another $12 million, however untill we have signed decent WR's i wouldnt cut them.

In addition i would re-sign the following guys for their current contract value:

RB Doug Martin $1.5 million, DE Frostee Rucker $1.0 million, ST Harris $1.0

And i wouldnt mind spending $3  million on Feliciano, Good and Green combined giving us 3 backup OL's with starting experience. Add Ateman and Cabinda for 500k each as well. That would leave us with $63 million and give us the following depth chart:

Offense:

QB: Carr, ???

RB: ???, Martin, ???, Washington

FB: K Smith

WR: ???, Nelson, Roberts, ????, Ateman

TE: Cook, ????, Carrier

OL starters: Miller - KO - Hudson - Jackson - ????

OL backup: Parker, Feliciano, Good, Green, Sharpe (3rd string)

Defense:

DE: ???, Key, Calhoun

3T: Hurst - Hall - vanderdoes

NT: Ellis - Hankins  

DE: ???, Rucker

WLB: Whitehead, Morrow

MLB: ???, ????, Cabinda

SLB: ???, Lee

CB1: Conely, ???

CB2: Worely, ???

Slot: ???, Nelson

FS: Joseph

SS: ???

K: Carlson, Pineiro

P: Townsend

ST: Harris, Depaola

With 40 million to spend  i would love for us to land 4 starters in FA at DE, MLB, WR and SLB. That would give us a lot of flexibility in the draft. 

We would also have a lot of flexibility with our cap since we still have Roberts, Ellis and whitehead under contract. Depending on how our drafted huys, camp invitees and tc cuts would do we would have the option to free up to over 10 million by cutting them.

On 12/10/2018 at 12:40 PM, big_palooka said:

Maybe but I think the increase in play from Carr has more to do with Carr finally understanding Gruden's offense than shipping Cooper out.  Unless of course Carr was sabotaging the team to get rid of Cooper.  I do not think so but I do believe there was something their.  Cooper's play and personality has changed since leaving.  The first two things he said in an interview about what he liked about the trade was the city and the facilities.

17 minutes ago, Dessie said:

Would be very surprised if we re-signed Feliciano to be a back up on a 1 year deal. He will be looking for a starting role and contract.

I'm thinking of doing a weekly thread this offseason. One for every position to gauge our forum's thoughts. Guard will be interesting.

KO has underwhelmed. Gabe has too but he's been injured. And they're both making a lot of money. Feliciano could start on some teams and is a versatile backup. Plus I liked some of the things Denzelle Good has done for us thus far. I mean, we'll see more today, but not bad for a street FA. Maybe backup material.

1 hour ago, Dessie said:

Would be very surprised if we re-signed Feliciano to be a back up on a 1 year deal. He will be looking for a starting role and contract.

I can see him demanding that as well, bth i would let him walk in that case. Don't think he is starting material (as in a bona fida 16 game starter), he is a great versatile/rotational guy imo.

But Carr’s streak of 332 passes without an interception was snapped in the first quarter, on a pick-six by Chiefs safety Daniel Sorensen. Tight end Jared Cook stopped his route and barely turned around to watch Sorensen catch Carr’s pass and run 54 yards for a touchdown. 

Gruden tried to come to Cook’s defense a little bit, and said that Cook thought it was a running play. But a replay clearly shows Carr in shotgun, with five wides, and Cook looking back into an empty backfield when the ball was snapped. (Cook, who will be a free agent, left the locker room before reporters got there.)

So is Cook gone? Like, it doesn't sound as if he wants to be here based on everything that happened this season. Definitely could see him trying to spend the twilight of his career chasing a Lombardi on an offensive juggernaut like the Rams, Pats, or Saints. Even Atlanta if they get Gase at OC.

On 31-12-2018 at 2:20 AM, Blazer026 said:

Am I the only one who thought Felicano played poorly in most of his starts?

Nope, same feeling here. It's why i mentioned him as getting back for backup $. He might get overpayed by some team in FA and get starters money, but imo he isn't a guy to trust as your 16 game starter.

Offense:

QB: Carr

RB: 

FB: 

TE: Cook

WR1: 

WR2: Nelson

Slot: Roberts

LT: Miller

LG: KO

C: Hudson

RG: Jackson 

RT: 

Defense:

DE: 

3T: Hurst

NT: Ellis

DE: 

SLB: 

MLB: 

WLB: Whitehead

CB1: Conley

CB2: Worley

Nickel:

SS: Joseph

FS:

K: Carlson

P:

KR/PR: Harris

IMO, we need a new starters at RB1, FB, WR1, RT, two DEs, SLB, MLB, FS, and P.

Random thought: I'm still wondering what C. Warren III can become.  I think FB would be an easy upgrade. WR1 can come in the first round.  RT is probably the hardest position to address, not a lot of FAs to choose from and I really don't want to use an early pick to grab a RT.  Frank Clark anyone?  I'll beat that dead horse to death again!  We can also address DE in the first round as well. Addressing both LB positions this offseason will be challenging as well.  I think we should definitely address LB at least once in the first two rounds of the 2019 draft.  Earl Thomas anyone? 

If we pick up F. Clark and E. Thomas in FA and draft DE, LB, WR in the first and either WR, RB, or LB in the second, third, and fourth, then I think we could have a much better football team.  I know I listed S. Roberts as someone I'd like to have back, he isn't horrible, I just want D. Carr to have as many weapons as possible.  I understand BPA, the draft gurus just have to figure out who is best at what time.  If we don't address every position, then we can always do that via FA and the draft the following year.

Update: Forgot to address Nickel DB.  We need one of those too.

Starting to get excited about the thought of focusing on 1 side off the ball this offseason and go heavy on defense.

We likely wont do it, but 3 starters in fa and 3 1st round picks all on defense could turn this defense in good in the 2nd half of 2019.

I cant remember when we had a good defense.

On 12/31/2018 at 4:34 PM, Silver&Black88 said:

So is Cook gone? Like, it doesn't sound as if he wants to be here based on everything that happened this season. Definitely could see him trying to spend the twilight of his career chasing a Lombardi on an offensive juggernaut like the Rams, Pats, or Saints. Even Atlanta if they get Gase at OC.

I see no reason to bring Cook back. The TE class is top notch, so rebuild with a younger option. Cook is a heck of a player, but age and salary don't fit with rebuilding efforts IMO.

10 hours ago, big_palooka said:

I see no reason to bring Cook back. The TE class is top notch, so rebuild with a younger option. Cook is a heck of a player, but age and salary don't fit with rebuilding efforts IMO.

name a rookie TE who has been a stud... takes awhile for Wrs and TE to develop... sign Cook on a 2 year deal

Archived