the green by packers claim s ibraheim campbell

FinneasGage

Just now, Pugger said:

What is so special about Bruce Irvin?  If he was so great why is he still unemployed when EDGE guys are so valued?

FWIW, he's not unemployed. He hasn't been officially cut as far as we know, supposedly they did do it today. So he has tomorrow to be on waivers, where nobody will take his contract, then he can find a team. So as much as I don't think much of him, I don't think we can hold him not being on a team against him. He'll be signed this week.

Just now, Norm said:

FWIW, he's not unemployed. He hasn't been officially cut as far as we know, supposedly they did do it today. So he has tomorrow to be on waivers, where nobody will take his contract, then he can find a team. So as much as I don't think much of him, I don't think we can hold him not being on a team against him. He'll be signed this week.

Oh.  I googled his name and Wikipedia said he was a FA.  

1 minute ago, Pugger said:

Oh.  I googled his name and Wikipedia said he was a FA.  

Nah, not your fault, it got announced a couple days ago but it couldn't truly happen until this afternoon. So he hasn't had a chance to go anywhere else just yet, gotta wait til tomorrow at the earliest to get claimed, then he's just a regular ole FA after that.

From Demovsky at ESPN

Rob Demovsky ESPN Staff Writer 

Packers defensive lineman Dean Lowry played at Northwestern with new safety Ibraheim Campbell, who was claimed off waivers today. Here's Lowry's scouting report on the former fourth-round pick of the Browns in 2015. "He played for coach Pettine in Cleveland, and I know they drafted him. Really good guy. A hard-nosed hitter safety. He came downhill really well and he's also very smart in coverage. Just a very well-rounded player."

1 hour ago, Pugger said:

What is so special about Bruce Irvin?  If he was so great why is he still unemployed when EDGE guys are so valued?

Special?  Not much about him is special.  But he had 8 sacks last year and 7 the year before.  He hasn't players a much this year because the raiders are always behind and he's a pass rusher.  Hard to rush the passer when the other team is grounding and pounding.  Gruden made it sound like he prefers traditional 4 3 ends as well.  Irvin is a 3 4 olb.

He was disgruntled with his playing time and Gruden doesn't have time for that.  

I've always thought that Irvin's best trait was his versatility.  He was a very, very good coverage OLB.  Seattle used him that way often.  And...he has enough speed to threaten the edge.  Always thought he played with a little attitude, too.

If it were me, I'd grab him right away and probably see what kind of a 3 year deal he wants.  I'd consider him part of an OLB unit overhaul that needs to happen.

Archived