Le'Veon Bell -Farewell Miami

Pool

6 hours ago, RandyMossIsBoss said:

"Guaranteed" isn't actual language in the contract, it's just a figure the media/team reports. It always includes at least the signing bonus, but evidently they sometimes lump in other aspects of the contract into the "guaranteed" figure. Remember Jimmy G's contract? It was/is reported as "$75M guaranteed"... In reality, the money he was due the moment he inked it, was around $40M. That other ~35M only became guaranteed at certain points in time. That's what seems to be the case with the Steelers offer, the second and third guarantees kicked in at different dates.... So hardly "guaranteed" money going by common sense considering nothing guarantees reaching those dates, but the media/team would report that total figure. 

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2018/07/17/report-final-leveon-bell-offer-had-10m-fully-guaranteed/

Logistically that's not how that works at all. If he is getting ~$35m  in the first two years, he is logically gtd that money. Certainly the year one money as there is no way you sign a guy to a huge contract and then cut him before game 1. 

All (big) contracts have injury clauses to protect a player, so if we are being intellectually honest, that money is gtd unless he goes and gets busted for drugs again. 

https://www.behindthesteelcurtain.com/2018/10/6/17944180/pittsburgh-steelers-offer-to-leveon-bell-may-have-included-as-much-as-20m-guaranteed-nfl-news-rumors

According to that, which is much more recent, he had $20m fully gtd year 1 and $45m in the first 3 years. Which again, is normal as you don't cut players and absorb a massive cap hit if you just signed him.

The contract offer was more than fair. 

6 hours ago, Forge said:

Philly is broke in a fake way. Nick Foles counts 20.6 million against the cap next year, obviously he's not going to be on the team. That gets them out of the red with 18.8 million savings. I would assume that Jason Peters is gone, and that's another 8 million. If Agholor is healthy, they are going to cut him, and that's another 9.4 off the books (fifth year option, only guaranteed for injury). Michael Bennett shaves off another 7 million and chris long 5.3. Those three moves alone get them above 30 million in space.

They do have some guys they may want to resign - Graham is a free agent, and if they cut Bennett and Long, that's a lot to lose off that defensive front. Plus, Wentz can be extended after this season, I believe? Though that may be after next season. So they do have places to spend that money. But creative cap construction can be done. I don't know if they can afford Bell, but they could make a run for it, I suppose.

That being said, Mark Ingram would strike me as the better value for them given their money situation and I don't think he's going to be very expensive at all.

So if they gut their team of their starting LT, DE x2, slot WR they have enough money to afford their draft class, QB and their starting DE?

Isn't that exactly what I said about they are broke? They can't afford Bell.

7 hours ago, FourThreeMafia said:

If you support him sitting out and not accepting the offer, so be it, but your constant claims that the contract he was offered was terrible and gave him no protection makes you look even more foolish than you looked when you used to defend Sam Bradford.      The contract he was offered was more than fair.   He wanted to be paid a ridiculous amount that he will not even come close to next year.     Just because they didnt want to give him the nearly $17m he wanted doesnt mean they didnt do him right....it just means they didnt value him the same way he valued himself.

And for all the talk about the Steelers "not doing him right", how about we consider how immature he acted early in his career, which prevented them from offering him a contract sooner?   Or how about we consider that Bell didnt even play all that great in 2017?     Are the Steelers just supposed to ignore this?

At this point, I dont even care.   I am just glad we can move on from him and his endless drama.     Best of luck to him.

Your lack of understanding of NFL contracts isn't my problem. No top player at his position is going to sign what's essentially a year-to-year deal when he has the franchise tag already and will hit FA the next year. The Steelers offered him a terrible deal that would sound appealing only to people who don't understand how contracts work. Basically, it was a PR move to make Bell the bad guy. Try not to talk out of your rear end the next time you try to accuse somebody else of looking foolish.

No way Philly breaks the bank for Le'Veon. Honestly, I don't see anyone giving Le'Veon a contract like Gurley got. I understand what he was doing but this year couldn't have panned out any worse for him. Considering the year that Conner's having, it's pretty evident the O-line deserves most of the credit for his success. He's praised for having patience but the Steelers might be one of two teams where RB's have the luxury of hanging out behind the line for a couple of seconds waiting for a hole to open. There's also the problem of him looking like a social media headache and already having one strike against him.

1 hour ago, jrry32 said:

Your lack of understanding of NFL contracts isn't my problem. No top player at his position is going to sign what's essentially a year-to-year deal when he has the franchise tag already and will hit FA the next year. The Steelers offered him a terrible deal that would sound appealing only to people who don't understand how contracts work. Basically, it was a PR move to make Bell the bad guy. Try not to talk out of your rear end the next time you try to accuse somebody else of looking foolish.

Lol. I understand how contracts work. I also understand how the league works. I think the only one talking out of their rear is you.

1 hour ago, Art_Vandalay said:

No way Philly breaks the bank for Le'Veon. Honestly, I don't see anyone giving Le'Veon a contract like Gurley got. I understand what he was doing but this year couldn't have panned out any worse for him. Considering the year that Conner's having, it's pretty evident the O-line deserves most of the credit for his success. He's praised for having patience but the Steelers might be one of two teams where RB's have the luxury of hanging out behind the line for a couple of seconds waiting for a hole to open. There's also the problem of him looking like a social media headache and already having one strike against him.

I thought it was two strikes? Hasn't he been suspended for two separate incidents?

And I guess three strikes if you consider the headache he has caused this year.

Three strikes you're out right?

2 hours ago, Matts4313 said:

So if they gut their team of their starting LT, DE x2, slot WR they have enough money to afford their draft class, QB and their starting DE?

Isn't that exactly what I said about they are broke? They can't afford Bell.

They can afford him in theory, they would just be silly to put that kind of priority on him given who they have as free agents. Those guys I'm talking about cutting are likely gone anyway, and that wouldn't exactly constitute "gutting" the team. I mean, Agholor is at his best in the slot, why pay him 9 million when you can get comparable production from someone like adam humphries for a third of that? Or even maybe Jordan Matthews who's already on the roster? Peters hasn't been able to finish the last two years, and he wasn't exactly great when playing this year. This team is already used to not playing with him. They don't even need to cut both DEs to get to 30 million once you also adjust for the fact that they have about 6/7 milion in roll over from this year.

I'm far more concerned about the team being "gutted" just through their actual free agent class. But in theory, they can certainly "afford" bell. Especially through creative contracts. It's not like they need to take on a 20 million cap hit the first year with Bell. They can probably get that first year for less than 12, and honestly, probably less than 10 (Mack's contract, which should be for about twice the overall dollar amount as bell's, cost them 13 million in a cap hit the first year). The rookie class is projected to cost about 9 million. So again, certainly not impossible to afford him, just not sure why they would put such a priority on that position and I do believe that it would be a terrible waste of what little resources they have.

10 hours ago, Forge said:

Philly is broke in a fake way. Nick Foles counts 20.6 million against the cap next year, obviously he's not going to be on the team. That gets them out of the red with 18.8 million savings. I would assume that Jason Peters is gone, and that's another 8 million. If Agholor is healthy, they are going to cut him, and that's another 9.4 off the books (fifth year option, only guaranteed for injury). Michael Bennett shaves off another 7 million and chris long 5.3. Those three moves alone get them above 30 million in space.

They do have some guys they may want to resign - Graham is a free agent, and if they cut Bennett and Long, that's a lot to lose off that defensive front. Plus, Wentz can be extended after this season, I believe? Though that may be after next season. So they do have places to spend that money. But creative cap construction can be done. I don't know if they can afford Bell, but they could make a run for it, I suppose.

That being said, Mark Ingram would strike me as the better value for them given their money situation and I don't think he's going to be very expensive at all.

More or less, I agree that any team can afford any play in any year if they make enough sacrifices. I guess what I was saying is that in a practical sense, they dont have the money to do it. Common logic says they dont have enough money to do it. If they tried they would have a gutted roster. 

And to add to your point, including the multiple cuts you suggested, they already only have ~35 something people under contract.  They are losing their starting DE, RB, K, CB, DT plus tate, wallace and matthews (whom I am assuming could be considered 'starter'), 

colbert better let Bell walk and get this over with, let him get the mega deal and move on.  Everyone has had enough, he isn't playing until next year but we will hear and read about it weekly despite that.   

I want him to sign to a team that had a mediocre or less OL and see what he is "worth" then.  If Connor can finish this season with 20+ TD's and 5 ypc that will only work against bell. I don't see how bell's value will rise after all that happened this season. 

11 minutes ago, 3rivers said:

I want him to sign to a team that had a mediocre or less OL and see what he is "worth" then

... welcome to HOUSTON, Le'Veon! xD

(Actually, would prefer taking a look at Mark Ingram or Tevin Coleman this off-season. RB is a need, Lev in this O could be fun, but...eh, Ingram or Coleman might be cheaper options with less milage).

53 minutes ago, ET80 said:

... welcome to HOUSTON, Le'Veon! xD

(Actually, would prefer taking a look at Mark Ingram or Tevin Coleman this off-season. RB is a need, Lev in this O could be fun, but...eh, Ingram or Coleman might be cheaper options with less milage).

Bell won't produce without the OL in the running game. 

5 minutes ago, kramxel said:

I maybe going on a ledge here, but doesn't he need an accrued season to go into FA? Or just because he didn't sign the tag he's already going to be a FA next season?

Kind of confused on this one.

this is what we were all told all season. Now near the deadline, it was revealed that (supposedly?) he would be a UFA since the new tag would be too costly, a loophole as some are calling it. All I know is the media , NFLPA and the league all lack credibility after seeing all this transpire.  I am one of the (many) steeler fans that wants this over with for good, but will have to wait until bell is finally on another team.   The CBA is flawed but it is  in place in writing, yet it seems nobody really knew the details of this.  

A debacle from start to finish, thats the nfl. At least they didn't play the game in mexico on the bad field,  but that was more about the players uniting than the nfl doing the right thing

6 hours ago, Matts4313 said:

Lol. I understand how contracts work. I also understand how the league works. I think the only one talking out of their rear is you.

I wasn't responding to you. But I'd wager that I'm the only one with practical experience here. Feel free to review the terms of the deal. These two articles do a solid job of explaining why it's a bad offer:

https://www.sbnation.com/nfl/2018/7/18/17585956/leveon-bell-contract-steelers-offer-guaranteed-money-free-agency
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2018/07/18/steelers-made-leveon-bell-an-offer-he-couldnt-accept/
I'm happy to go into more detail after work. But the gist is that the Steelers offer was a PR move. They gave him the same sort of deal that SF gave Kaepernick. Expecting a top player to accept that sort of deal is unreasonable. It's a bad offer.

Archived