Le'Veon Bell -Farewell Miami

Pool

23 minutes ago, nagahide13 said:

Correct me if I'm wrong here, but if he signs this season it will have been his 3rd consecutive tag. The Steelers wouldn't be able to tag him a 4th consecutive time in 2019, and he'd be a free agent. He needs to sign the tag this season before the cutoff date or he doesn't get credit for playing this season. Not signing would mean that the Steelers effectively hadn't tagged him in 2018 and could do so in 2019.

Second tag I'm pretty sure

Lev Bell just cost himself a contract. Steelers are actually putting better numbers without him. 

Bell has proved the RB is devalued and any team would be foolish to spend big money on him. Maybe the Jets cuz they need to help Darnold but that's only team that should spend money on RB. Go to the draft 

4 hours ago, The LBC said:

No he doesn't.  He needs to accrue a season of service if he wants the amount it would cost the Steelers to franchise tag him again next year to increase, but he is presently out of contract and the only thing keeping him from present being a free agent is that the Steelers have bird-rights on him by virtue have having been able to (and having) tender him with the Franchise Tag.

Athletic reporting that even if he doesn't sign and report, tag next year would constitute a third tag

35 minutes ago, Forge said:

Athletic reporting that even if he doesn't sign and report, tag next year would constitute a third tag

Yeah, that wasn't really my point though, it would be a third tag, but it wouldn't mean an escalation in level of pay.  Either way, that's kind of moot because I can't see the Steelers tagging him again if they were in the position to do so, the PR and optics of it would be extremely poor and would turn off veteran players from a willingness to sign there (or at least it would turn their agents off and that can definitely steer a number of players).

25 minutes ago, The LBC said:

Yeah, that wasn't really my point though, it would be a third tag, but it wouldn't mean an escalation in level of pay.  Either way, that's kind of moot because I can't see the Steelers tagging him again if they were in the position to do so, the PR and optics of it would be extremely poor and would turn off veteran players from a willingness to sign there (or at least it would turn their agents off and that can definitely steer a number of players).

No that's the thing, they are saying it would be an escalation in pay. Even if he doesn't report. 

A source confirmed to The Athletic that Bell is now contemplating whether or not he will show up by the Nov. 13 franchise tag deadline based on newly learned information from the collective bargaining agreement that would allow him to be deemed as a third-year franchise player in 2019 rather than to revert to the second year, even if he doesn’t report.

A separate source has confirmed to The Athletic that next year’s franchise tag would be the top five salaries in the league and not revert to the 2018 number even if Bell decides to skip the entire year.

45 minutes ago, Forge said:

No that's the thing, they are saying it would be an escalation in pay. Even if he doesn't report. 

Well, it'd be whichever is higher of the average of the top 5 salaries or 150% (might be 125%, but I thought it was 150) of his previously tendered amount (from 2017), but with Gurley's deal on the books, Johnson's deal on the books, the average of the top 5 salaries is likely higher than a fraction increase on the Top 5 positional salaries of 2 years ago.  Either way, like I said, it's likely a largely moot point because I can't foresee a situation where Pittsburgh would take on the poor optics of tagging him in 2019.

3 hours ago, Activated10 said:

Lev Bell just cost himself a contract. Steelers are actually putting better numbers without him. 

Bell has proved the RB is devalued and any team would be foolish to spend big money on him. Maybe the Jets cuz they need to help Darnold but that's only team that should spend money on RB. Go to the draft 

He offers value in all phases of the game.

His skills arent what should scare teams away....he is worth a nice contract....just not as nice as he wanted.

His attitude is what should really scare teams.   Not that he wanted to get paid....I understand and respect that.   Its how he went about it that should scare some teams away.

38 minutes ago, FourThreeMafia said:

His skills arent what should scare teams away....he is worth a nice contract....just not as nice as he wanted.

His attitude is what should really scare teams.   Not that he wanted to get paid....I understand and respect that.   Its how he went about it that should scare some teams away.

You could see him be highly valued by a team that believes they're a contender and has a high-end OL.  Part and parcel to where we kind of expect some of these teams to be trying to recreate some of the more recently-successful narratives (i.e. you hear a lot about teams "wanting to find 'the next Sean McVay'," and we can probably expect teams to seek to replicate the manner on offense in which the Saints, Chiefs, and several other teams have been finding success)... well... Bell fits that mold of the multi-faceted RB who can both produce both as a bell-cow grinder and as a receiver out of the backfield.  He'll have suitors.

5 hours ago, Activated10 said:

I always thought the OL deserves credit when a RB is putting up stats. This bell saga is a great example and it could cost RB's a bit, but also make OL a bit.  Bell KNOWS that if he goes to a mediocre OL he will be lacking in stats, a reason he never signed before the trade deadline IMO.  

3 hours ago, Forge said:

A source confirmed to The Athletic that Bell is now contemplating whether or not he will show up by the Nov. 13 franchise tag deadline based on newly learned information from the collective bargaining agreement that would allow him to be deemed as a third-year franchise player in 2019 rather than to revert to the second year, even if he doesn’t report.

A separate source has confirmed to The Athletic that next year’s franchise tag would be the top five salaries in the league and not revert to the 2018 number even if Bell decides to skip the entire year.

If colbert tries to tag Bell at the $25M, then colbert should be fired. Just let bell walk into UFA and move on, give it up.  We all have had enough and Connor has proven the OL is more than adequate to get the running game going. 

On 5/11/2018 at 6:26 PM, BayRaider said:

That’s why you should never do your draft early. Always within a week of kickoff, preferably within three days. 

This news broke Sunday morning before Thursday kickoff, I remember because that evening was my fantasy draft and we were roasting the guy who took him in the 1st for not checking the news.

11 minutes ago, cddolphin said:

This news broke Sunday morning before Thursday kickoff, I remember because that evening was my fantasy draft and we were roasting the guy who took him in the 1st for not checking the news.

I usually do my drafts the Monday night before.

16 hours ago, FourThreeMafia said:

He has a unique skillset sure but isn't worth the money he's going to be asking for. Contender without RB won't have enough cap space to sign him regardless. 

Archived