Le'Veon Bell -Farewell Miami

Pool

9 minutes ago, CKSteeler said:

Earl Thomas made $10.4 million for showing up with Seattle this year.

Earl Thomas did not lose $10.4 million on his next contract because of that injury.

Leveon Bell would have made over $15m this year for showing up. He will not make $15 million more on his next contract to offset what he lost this year. I'm highly skeptical that even whatever inflated deal he accepts will offset his losses even if he returns next week.

earl thomas will be a 30 year old safety coming off of a leg injury.  did you see what the safety market paid this year?

he most definitely lost 10 million on his next contract because of that injury

3 minutes ago, CKSteeler said:

Earl Thomas made $10.4 million for showing up with Seattle this year.

Earl Thomas did not lose $10.4 million on his next contract because of that injury.

Leveon Bell would have made over $15m this year for showing up. He will not make $15 million more on his next contract to offset what he lost this year. I'm highly skeptical that even whatever inflated deal he accepts will offset his losses even if he returns next week.

You may be right, but Earl Thomas doesn’t play rb.  Rbs with Bells usage do not typically have long careers.  This year off could add years to Bells career on the back end.

2 hours ago, mistakey said:

earl thomas will be a 30 year old safety coming off of a leg injury.  did you see what the safety market paid this year?

You just linked two separate things together. The market for safeties has been soft. That has little to nothing to do with Thomas losing money because of the injury. Teams were willing to part with high draft picks to get Thomas. The injury, a broken leg at that, isn't what's going to shake teams.

There's a reason that most players (read: all besides Bell) take the calculated risk and play through the tag. And most agents go along.

2 hours ago, KellChippy said:

You may be right, but Earl Thomas doesn’t play rb.  Rbs with Bells usage do not typically have long careers.  This year off could add years to Bells career on the back end.

It could. Taking time off has in the past actually helped a few RB's, perhaps the only position that's true. But I don't see Bell having a long career regardless. I question whether he's that into football to keep playing into his twilight. He's not Frank Gore. Not even Adrian Peterson. Different personalities. I highly doubt that if the money dries up, he's going to stick with the game. He'll walk away.

This isn't even a guy worried about security. Otherwise, he would have taken what the Steelers gave him (it did not differ from how the Steelers do contracts with their other core players - which is how they genuinely viewed him). He wants to get the largest contract he can.

In the end, say 3-4 years from now, I feel pretty confident he'll have cost himself money.

And I've been arguing since the start of all this contract talk with him that he was saving the Steelers from themselves. I don't care if he walks.

On 11/9/2018 at 11:59 AM, mistakey said:

I don't think he did, but the positions are completely different and not worth really comparing. Great safeties have a history of being able to play at very high levels into their mid and even later thirties, unlike running backs (shout out to Frankie G though).

You can sign Thomas to a five year deal and it's not going to be out of line to think you're getting high level play all five years. If he loses money, is because of that safety market, as you alluded to. I'd put less emphasis on the loss of money on the next deal for to the injury, and more on the market (though I think Thomas supercedes that). 

mans just trying to get his money. fans hating on him just want thier team to have his services to win.

everyones got thier own "selfish" intentions. It's ironic. He's just looking out for himself so we paint him into a bad light as a terrible human being.

whatta world. before you lay the selfish label on him look at your own intentions first

48 minutes ago, canadaluvsdallas said:

mans just trying to get his money. fans hating on him just want thier team to have his services to win.

everyones got thier own "selfish" intentions. It's ironic. He's just looking out for himself so we paint him into a bad light as a terrible human being.

whatta world. before you lay the selfish label on him look at your own intentions first

might want to take your high horse to the glue factory there champ

the problem isn’t just the holdout. players do that. a lot of people, me included, take umbrage with the fact that he’s turned the whole thing in to a circus. if he had pure intentions, and there was no element of me me me, if he was truly doing it for his brothers at the nflpa, then he wouldn’t have turned the whole thing in to a will he or won’t he, wouldn’t send a bizarre upside down double tweet, would give all parties clarity on where everyone stands, etc. i have no problem with him holding out for more money, though i do question the logic behind the decision and agree with what @CKSteeler said about the long term fiscal implications. what is a real problem is that the way bell has conducted himself through this is nothing short of “i’m taking my ball and i’m going home”

47 minutes ago, Shady Slim said:

might want to take your high horse to the glue factory there champ

the problem isn’t just the holdout. players do that. a lot of people, me included, take umbrage with the fact that he’s turned the whole thing in to a circus. if he had pure intentions, and there was no element of me me me, if he was truly doing it for his brothers at the nflpa, then he wouldn’t have turned the whole thing in to a will he or won’t he, wouldn’t send a bizarre upside down double tweet, would give all parties clarity on where everyone stands, etc. i have no problem with him holding out for more money, though i do question the logic behind the decision and agree with what @CKSteeler said about the long term fiscal implications. what is a real problem is that the way bell has conducted himself through this is nothing short of “i’m taking my ball and i’m going home”

I mean all around it's a terrible situation from both parties. It's not like he had any brothers in the locker room they way they reacted besides AB.

I just think he's in a toxic environment right now in that locker room and that brings out the worst in people. No matter what Leveon Bell did, it wasn't even close to the amount of scummy behaviour the steelers players and FO has shown him.

I'm fully on Bell's side. I'm just throwing my thoughts out there. I don't think at this point theres anything that can change my mind about this.

23 minutes ago, JaguarCrazy2832 said:

Have we seen anything like this before? I cant think of anyone

Closest was Vincent Jackson but he at least came back Week 11 to "Guarantee" FA the following season.

This makes no sense. I get not wanting to play, not wanting to risk injury but to assume they won't Transition tag/trade is playing Russian Roulette is it not? They could hold said Tag until the very last minute then rescind it after all FA have signed? No?

13 minutes ago, canadaluvsdallas said:

I mean all around it's a terrible situation from both parties. It's not like he had any brothers in the locker room they way they reacted besides AB.

I just think he's in a toxic environment right now in that locker room and that brings out the worst in people. No matter what Leveon Bell did, it wasn't even close to the amount of scummy behaviour the steelers players and FO has shown him.

I'm fully on Bell's side. I'm just throwing my thoughts out there. I don't think at this point theres anything that can change my mind about this.

What scummy behavior did the players and FO show him? 

Archived