Week 10 GDT- 49ers v Giants

Forge

I haven't heard anything official from the 49ers, but sounding like it would be a surprise if we don't go with Mullens in this game. 

This is a very winnable game, but it won't be easy. Despite being lead by a decrepit Eli Manning, this is a team that has OBJ, who can easily destroy us deep, and they have Saquon Barkley, an amazingly gifted running back who could shred us in the passing game, as we continue to struggle containing running backs out of the backfield. 

Obviously, I'm interested in seeing how Mullens continues to perform. He's playing for an actual role next year as a back up quarterback in the NFL, so this is an important stretch of games for him. He can't do much better to get off on the right foot than to play Raiders, Giants and then the Bucs after the bye week. Mullens isn't physically imposing at only 6 feet tall (and if you watch the raiders game, you'll see a couple of times where he may have done a little jump throwing to get it over the line), but I really did like his mental processing, quickness, and little things. He did a great job of looking off the safety on the Kendrick Bourne touchdown against the Raiders, which is something that can be overlooked. I'll be really curious to see what happens from here on out against defenses. We kept Mullens with amazingly easy throws, and he didn't have to fight too much tough coverage. In routes, crossings...I'll be surprised if the Giants don't try and clog the middle and force Mullens to beat them outside and deep. 

Credit to Shanny for having an amazing gameplan last week, and I really hope that we keep that up. We should be running play action close to half of our passing plays and a heavy dose of the actual run game to supplement. 

The defense will have an opportunity to keep up the strong game against the Raiders, as the Giants don't have notoriety as a strong offensive line. Will be very important to get pressure on Eli and not allow those receivers more time then they need to get open. Thomas hasn't really shown anything to me as the season has gone on, even as some others such have started to get it done at a better rate. 

This is certainly a winnable game, and weirdly, even when we have been bad in recent years, we have a tendency to amp it up in primetime and play pretty well. At this point, I Don't think that we are going to get Bosa, so I don't mind a win here or there.

Nice test for our corners matching up against Shepard/OBJ. Barkley is going to destroy us in the passing game and I expect the Giants to run about 10 screen plays for about 200 yards. Another favorable match up for our DL as the Giants OL is garbage. Basically, Mullens should once again have all day to throw and we should be able to get 4+ sacks on Eli.

I think it will be a close low scoring game as well. Maybe we pull it out with the score of 20-17 or something like that. 

1 hour ago, y2lamanaki said:

I've read that Moore is becoming more and more confident in his switch to CB and should begin to see more playing time there. Took a little longer than Witherspoon last year, but hopefully he takes advantage of those snaps if true.

Like it, no reason not find him some snaps here and there. Spoon/Sherman have played well lately, but I'm not asking for Moore to get major snaps or anything. 

7 hours ago, Forge said:

Credit to Shanny for having an amazing gameplan last week, and I really hope that we keep that up. We should be running play action close to half of our passing plays and a heavy dose of the actual run game to supplement. 

That is probably the best thing about not having a QB this season, it forces Kyle to be more balanced. 

His dad was known for his ground game, and it's a very important part of Kyle's offense, but he has been known to get a little pass happy at times. 

As you say, play action is super important in this offense. In order to really sell the play action you need to run the ball effectively. Our OL has been very good in the run game but weve been kinda snake bitten with the health of our runners. 

I feel like this team is starting to correct a lot of the silly mistakes. There's been less penalties, less blown coverages, and less turnovers recently. That is a great sign that are coaches are finally getting though to the team, or it could be a complete fluke

1 hour ago, y2lamanaki said:

It's official: 

Very happy for this. Let's hope he proves to be worthy of our backup QB! 

Even if he can't duplicate last game i just want to see how he looks. I feel he is a really smart dude that really wants to get better and even though his arm may be below average i prefer my back-up to be smart and able to execute the simple stuff well. With Beathard i think his biggest issue is his pocket presence and the game looks to be going too fast for him which leads to those stupid plays he has where the ball gets batted down(almost always when he throws to his left) or he gets sacks(always a good chance he fumbles too).

Archived