Week 10 GDT- 49ers v Giants

Forge

Just watched the game and arrgghhh the penalties and mistakes in the secondary killed us again.  Positives to take from the game for me though were the play of Mullens.  In only his second start I am not sure why some of us are expecting so much from him.  Yes he made some very risky throws, but he plays like he knows what he is doing, and gets the ball off so much more quickly than CJ, so whilst his potential as a solid back up still remains in question, I think we have to keep starting him to see how he does against much better defenses.

Warner just seems to be a really good instinctive player so I'm happy with that draft pick.  We have one or two really good players on offense.  Breida's burst of speed when he sees a whole is really surprising.  And he plays tough too.  We all know how good Kittle can be.  Juice is a great off season pick from two years ago.  .

Not mentioning any negatives as it would take too long lol.

41 minutes ago, uk9erfan said:

Just watched the game and arrgghhh the penalties and mistakes in the secondary killed us again.  Positives to take from the game for me though were the play of Mullens.  In only his second start I am not sure why some of us are expecting so much from him.  Yes he made some very risky throws, but he plays like he knows what he is doing, and gets the ball off so much more quickly than CJ, so whilst his potential as a solid back up still remains in question, I think we have to keep starting him to see how he does against much better defenses.

Warner just seems to be a really good instinctive player so I'm happy with that draft pick.  We have one or two really good players on offense.  Breida's burst of speed when he sees a whole is really surprising.  And he plays tough too.  We all know how good Kittle can be.  Juice is a great off season pick from two years ago.  .

Not mentioning any negatives as it would take too long lol.

I don't think that this is the case. There's a difference between expecting a lot from someone, and being willing to crown them as something they may not have proven as of yet. As J said, he's had two starts against two of the worst teams and defenses in the NFL. His first start was great, his second one (last night), no so much. His physical limitations were glaringly obvious, but there are some things he already does much better than CJ - in particular, how he uses his head and his eyes in my opinion.  The question is more or less can he be a real back up quarterback, and I don't think that he has proven that he can be that as of yet. I want to see him the rest of the season over CJ, yes, but largely because we have a larger sample on CJ and know what he is and what he brings to the table, so we'd like to get more information on Mullens.

6 minutes ago, Forge said:

I don't think that this is the case. There's a difference between expecting a lot from someone, and being willing to crown them as something they may not have proven as of yet. As J said, he's had two starts against two of the worst teams and defenses in the NFL. His first start was great, his second one (last night), no so much. His physical limitations were glaringly obvious, but there are some things he already does much better than CJ - in particular, how he uses his head and his eyes in my opinion.  The question is more or less can he be a real back up quarterback, and I don't think that he has proven that he can be that as of yet. I want to see him the rest of the season over CJ, yes, but largely because we have a larger sample on CJ and know what he is and what he brings to the table, so we'd like to get more information on Mullens.

We seem to pretty much agree other than what I said about expectations of him - maybe I should have said I am surprised at how his negatives are being pointed out after just two starts, having been really thrown in at the deep end.  We need way more time to evaluate him, just as we have both suggested.

The losses are wearing on Kyle for sure. I could see him jumping up and down on the Giants last drive trying to rally the crowd. He was pacing up and down the sideline too, you could tell he really wanted this one. 

It didn't feel like kyle had the whole playbook at his disposal this week. I think he's getting really tired of the silly mental mistakes by guys late in games. 

I keep seeing people say they are worried about Kyle's ability to close out games. Weve lost a lot of close games since he's been here and Kyle was obviously a part of the team that lost the Superbowl in ATL. I've been hearing other people say 'maybe Kyle just isn't clutch' 

Do these people forget the only 5 games in San Francisco where Kyle had a competent QB? I mean seriously, with Garoppolo last year we won some close games that requited multiple fourth quarter scores. 

Kyle has talked about what it's like to get into a rythm as a playcaller. It's hard to get into a rythm when guys don't execute and you have three QBs

Then I hear "maybe Kyle doesn't have the teeth to be a HC, maybe he's just a coordinator" what does that mean? Because he acts like an adult when he loses and doesn't break head sets that means he 'doesnt have teeth'? I mean, just because he doesn't throw temper tantrums like harbaugh did doesn't mean he isn't qualified to be a HC. In fact, I might argue it makes him more qualified as losing your cool can lead to poor decisions in crunch time. 

I just hope Jed York isn't listening to any of the nonsense. I might lose my mind if they fire Kyle. 

By the way, Shanny said he would have liked to see Thomas/Armstead on the last drive. First time where he kind of calls out Saleh. He's been super supportive of him the entire time but blowing all these games on the last drive is starting to tick him off. We have quite possibly the least clutch defense in the league and that's not a hyperbole. Only came through once and that was against the Lions....And that was only BARELY after a drop pass by their RB. 

5 hours ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

By the way, Shanny said he would have liked to see Thomas/Armstead on the last drive. First time where he kind of calls out Saleh. He's been super supportive of him the entire time but blowing all these games on the last drive is starting to tick him off. We have quite possibly the least clutch defense in the league and that's not a hyperbole. Only came through once and that was against the Lions....And that was only BARELY after a drop pass by their RB. 

Agreed. I miss the days of Bowman and Willis and Smith and company making clutch stops at the end of the game.

Fred warner had a nice game. He's better on the inside and fighting through traffic than I thought he would be at this stage. 

Matt breida has earned himself a contract extension and a bump in salary. The guy is explosive as hell and is really becoming an all around back. Hes never going to be a good pass blocker, but in this system we probably won't ask him to do that much and we can just put juszczyk back there if needed. I don't remember how good of a pass blocker McKinnon was/is but you'd think hed have the strength for it. 

I was watching Pettis pretty closely. The game seemed to be moving too fast for him. He tried to make a move or two and went no where. He looked like he was trying to avoid contact as much as possible, which is concerning considering the knock on him was supposed to be his light frame and he's already been injured. Still very early obviously, so that might change over time but he doesn't pass the eye test so far. 

It's unfortunate because there were so many talented WRs in this draft and we traded up to get him. It's crazy how expectations can change public perception of a guy... If Solomon was a third rounder and Pettis was a fourth rounder the overall feeling of the fanbase would be positive. As it stands right now both are guys that are catching some heat. 

I'd still like to add another TE. I know it sounds crazy but having another TE who can block and catch will allow us to put both on the field at the same time along with juszczyk and a RB, which would force teams to stay in their base set or even bring an extra LB. Then we can run the no huddle and prevent them from substituting and spread them out because even all of those guys can catch passes effectively. Then if they bring in a nickle, we run no huddle to keep them in it and just run it down their throats. Peyton manning used to do it a lot and it was genius.

I also love making the DL get in their stance with 30+ left on the play clock and then hard counting them and then snapping it quick on some plays and slow on others. It wears them down and makes them slow to get out of their stance. 

We went up tempo a couple of times on Monday and it really seemed like that was when we were able to move the ball. I love mixing speeds and snap counts, really gets the defense on their heels. 

It's really a shame we lost a year of Garoppolo and Kyle.. if it ends up neting us a generational pass rusher then it will end up being worth it 100%

15 hours ago, Forge said:

I loved this last paragraph: 

Kittle is making waves in the NFL, and his success in facets of the game that tight ends aren’t necessarily supposed to excel at is eye-opening. If he’s able to keep up the current pace, the tight end dynamic could soon shift as other teams look to replicate Kittle’s abilities. After all, he’s put up these numbers largely with backups C.J. Beathard and Nick Mullens at the helm — so when Jimmy Garoppolo returns likely next season, the 49ers could have an elite quarterback-tight end duo in their arsenal.

B|

44 minutes ago, Chrissooner49er said:

I loved this last paragraph: 

B|

Psh, remember those Gronk to SF rumors in the offseason??? Why did we ever think we needed an inferior TE to Kittle??????

Seriously though, the Jimmy G/Kittle connection is going to be deadly next season. Jimmy G already has a nice repertoire with Goodwin and was building a strong one with Kittle before his injury. The offense should be averaging close to 30 PPG next year. Now, only if Jimmy G can also start building some chemistry with Pettis......

On 14/11/2018 at 7:01 AM, N4L said:

I keep seeing people say they are worried about Kyle's ability to close out games. Weve lost a lot of close games since he's been here and Kyle was obviously a part of the team that lost the Superbowl in ATL. I've been hearing other people say 'maybe Kyle just isn't clutch' 

Yes I remember listening to that crap about how it was Shanny's fault that Atlanta lost the Super Bowl.  His offense killed the Pats for three quarters, and the Falcons defense did a great job for three quarters.  At what point was it Kyle's responsibility to stop the Pats offense - last time I checked I thought that was the Falcons defense's job.  That was a heartbreaking loss for the Falcons but it was all on their D getting blown away near the end of the game.  I always thought he was made a scapegoat for that loss.  

Archived