Sign in to follow this  
Forge

Week 10 GDT- 49ers v Giants

Just watched the game and arrgghhh the penalties and mistakes in the secondary killed us again.  Positives to take from the game for me though were the play of Mullens.  In only his second start I am not sure why some of us are expecting so much from him.  Yes he made some very risky throws, but he plays like he knows what he is doing, and gets the ball off so much more quickly than CJ, so whilst his potential as a solid back up still remains in question, I think we have to keep starting him to see how he does against much better defenses.

Warner just seems to be a really good instinctive player so I'm happy with that draft pick.  We have one or two really good players on offense.  Breida's burst of speed when he sees a whole is really surprising.  And he plays tough too.  We all know how good Kittle can be.  Juice is a great off season pick from two years ago.  .

Not mentioning any negatives as it would take too long lol.

41 minutes ago, uk9erfan said:

Just watched the game and arrgghhh the penalties and mistakes in the secondary killed us again.  Positives to take from the game for me though were the play of Mullens.  In only his second start I am not sure why some of us are expecting so much from him.  Yes he made some very risky throws, but he plays like he knows what he is doing, and gets the ball off so much more quickly than CJ, so whilst his potential as a solid back up still remains in question, I think we have to keep starting him to see how he does against much better defenses.

Warner just seems to be a really good instinctive player so I'm happy with that draft pick.  We have one or two really good players on offense.  Breida's burst of speed when he sees a whole is really surprising.  And he plays tough too.  We all know how good Kittle can be.  Juice is a great off season pick from two years ago.  .

Not mentioning any negatives as it would take too long lol.

I don't think that this is the case. There's a difference between expecting a lot from someone, and being willing to crown them as something they may not have proven as of yet. As J said, he's had two starts against two of the worst teams and defenses in the NFL. His first start was great, his second one (last night), no so much. His physical limitations were glaringly obvious, but there are some things he already does much better than CJ - in particular, how he uses his head and his eyes in my opinion.  The question is more or less can he be a real back up quarterback, and I don't think that he has proven that he can be that as of yet. I want to see him the rest of the season over CJ, yes, but largely because we have a larger sample on CJ and know what he is and what he brings to the table, so we'd like to get more information on Mullens.

6 minutes ago, Forge said:

I don't think that this is the case. There's a difference between expecting a lot from someone, and being willing to crown them as something they may not have proven as of yet. As J said, he's had two starts against two of the worst teams and defenses in the NFL. His first start was great, his second one (last night), no so much. His physical limitations were glaringly obvious, but there are some things he already does much better than CJ - in particular, how he uses his head and his eyes in my opinion.  The question is more or less can he be a real back up quarterback, and I don't think that he has proven that he can be that as of yet. I want to see him the rest of the season over CJ, yes, but largely because we have a larger sample on CJ and know what he is and what he brings to the table, so we'd like to get more information on Mullens.

We seem to pretty much agree other than what I said about expectations of him - maybe I should have said I am surprised at how his negatives are being pointed out after just two starts, having been really thrown in at the deep end.  We need way more time to evaluate him, just as we have both suggested.

The losses are wearing on Kyle for sure. I could see him jumping up and down on the Giants last drive trying to rally the crowd. He was pacing up and down the sideline too, you could tell he really wanted this one. 

It didn't feel like kyle had the whole playbook at his disposal this week. I think he's getting really tired of the silly mental mistakes by guys late in games. 

I keep seeing people say they are worried about Kyle's ability to close out games. Weve lost a lot of close games since he's been here and Kyle was obviously a part of the team that lost the Superbowl in ATL. I've been hearing other people say 'maybe Kyle just isn't clutch' 

Do these people forget the only 5 games in San Francisco where Kyle had a competent QB? I mean seriously, with Garoppolo last year we won some close games that requited multiple fourth quarter scores. 

Kyle has talked about what it's like to get into a rythm as a playcaller. It's hard to get into a rythm when guys don't execute and you have three QBs

Then I hear "maybe Kyle doesn't have the teeth to be a HC, maybe he's just a coordinator" what does that mean? Because he acts like an adult when he loses and doesn't break head sets that means he 'doesnt have teeth'? I mean, just because he doesn't throw temper tantrums like harbaugh did doesn't mean he isn't qualified to be a HC. In fact, I might argue it makes him more qualified as losing your cool can lead to poor decisions in crunch time. 

I just hope Jed York isn't listening to any of the nonsense. I might lose my mind if they fire Kyle. 

Edited by N4L

32 minutes ago, N4L said:

I just hope Jed York isn't listening to any of the nonsense. I might lose my mind if they fire Kyle. 

Shanny is getting at least 4 years here. Everything else is noise.

By the way, Shanny said he would have liked to see Thomas/Armstead on the last drive. First time where he kind of calls out Saleh. He's been super supportive of him the entire time but blowing all these games on the last drive is starting to tick him off. We have quite possibly the least clutch defense in the league and that's not a hyperbole. Only came through once and that was against the Lions....And that was only BARELY after a drop pass by their RB.