Thoughts on DeFilippo so far?

SotanKing

9 games into the season...what are your thoughts on our OC so far?

I was very much excited initially when we hired him but tbh I haven't been really impressed with our playcalling on offense so far. I feel like our offense can become lot more efficient. Cook being out might definitely one of the reasons for it, so I am hoping we will see better playcalling as season goes on.

Our RedZone offense is one thing I wish we can improve on. We are below average when it comes to RedZone TD scoring percentage(we are ranked in 17-20 range in league so far this season).When I watch other offenses in RedZone, I feel like they often have 1 or 2 players open in EndZone(good scheme may be?), making it pretty easy throw for QB...then when I look at Vikings offense in EndZone, it feels like Cousins always has to make a tough throw. We always make it look really tough. 

I haven't been overly impressed. Seems like Shurmur got more out of less. There is still a lot of season left so I am willing to not form a strong opinion either way. 

Just seems like the offense will get shutdown for long stretches. MN didn't score any second half offensive points against Detroit and had similar issues against the Saints. But surprisingly on the road, were able to keep pace with the Packers and Rams to force close games. 

21 minutes ago, vikingsrule said:

I haven't been overly impressed. Seems like Shurmur got more out of less. There is still a lot of season left so I am willing to not form a strong opinion either way. 

Just seems like the offense will get shutdown for long stretches. MN didn't score any second half offensive points against Detroit and had similar issues against the Saints. But surprisingly on the road, were able to keep pace with the Packers and Rams to force close games. 

We should have definitely scored more yesterday...Robinson dropped an easy catch for touchdown and then we had that horrible fumble in the end when we were already inside Lions territory. 

6 minutes ago, upriser7 said:

We should have definitely scored more yesterday...Robinson dropped an easy catch for touchdown and then we had that horrible fumble in the end when we were already inside Lions territory. 

We seem to say this a lot. Mistakes have killed the offense this year and the offense really struggles to overcome them.

Again, the per-drive stats are important. They only had 9 drives vs Detroit, and one of them was a clock-killer if not actually a kneel down (3 and out with the Lions taking their timeouts in the last 2 minutes). 17 points on 8 drives is respectable. It would've been 20-24 points if it wasn't for the fumble lost in scoring position.

The second half drives were:

• 28 yards to the Lions 43, punt after Robinson drops a TD
  • 3 and out -- Cousins should've scrambled on 3rd down but forced a throw to Thielen
  • 51 yards to the Lions 20, fumble on 2nd and 6
  • 3 and out -- 3 Murray runs as the Lions take timeouts

3 mistakes (the drop, Cousins not scrambling, the fumble) killed the only 3 drives where they were trying to score but it's not like the offense was stymied.

Broader picture, the main problem has been turnovers, especially fumbles. 

The running game still isn't great but it's getting better. Pass protection has improved since the disasters earlier in the year (Bills, Rams), though the Saints game wasn't great on that front. The passing game has been less explosive than it was playing catchup in Green Bay and LA but it's been half decent. 

There's a learning curve with a new OC and a new QB. I think we can hope they do better by the end of the year.

I think he’s been solid. I think to expect some “Greatest Show On Turf” level of offense, or something close, would just not be realistic. 

This is a new offense, new language, and a new signal caller. It’s going to take time for it to all come together. And I’m expecting to see this offense hit it’s stride at the perfect time in December and into the playoffs. Similar to Atlanta at the end of 2017. 

Stat breakdown....

2018:
4 games over 400 yards of offense
3 games from 300-399 yards of offense
2 games under 300 yards of offense
4 games under 20 first downs
3 games 20-24 first downs
2 games over 25 first downs

2017:
5 games over 400 yards of offense
8 games from 300-399 yards
3 games under 300 yards of offense
6 games under 20 first downs
6 games 20-24 first downs
4 games over 25 first downs

2017 Eagles:
5 games over 400 yards of offense
7 games from 300-399 yards
2 games under 300 yards of offense
7 games under 20 first downs
4 games 20-24 first downs
5 games over 25 first downs

1 hour ago, upriser7 said:

Our RedZone offense is one thing I wish we can improve on. We are below average when it comes to RedZone TD scoring percentage(we are ranked in 17-20 range in league so far this season).When I watch other offenses in RedZone, I feel like they often have 1 or 2 players open in EndZone(good scheme may be?), making it pretty easy throw for QB...then when I look at Vikings offense in EndZone, it feels like Cousins always has to make a tough throw. We always make it look really tough. 

Part of me wonders if we over-rely on Kyle Rudolph in the end zone at times. While his 8 red zone targets are only third on the team, he's only caught 3 of those 8 targets. Only other guy below 50% is Roc Thomas (on 2 targets). Though his 3 catches have resulted in 2 touchdowns. 

If we never try throwing a fade to Treadwell I’ll be baffled. I’d also like to see us try some back shoulder stuff given the accuracy of Thielen/Diggs in their route running combined with Cousins’ arm strength and accuracy. Maybe throw in some dart combos that seem to work so well for the Patriots. Basically, more creativity. 

I thought JDF’s playcalling looked better in the Detroit game. At times I’ve thought it was pretty good throughout the year. Other times I’m baffled by the playcalling given game flow and situational dynamics. Hopefully it’s a product of new coordinator and QB. We’ll see as the season continues. My bet is on better playcalling and overall chemistry for the second half of the season than the first. 

I guess I don’t understand this notion that Treadwell would be good at fade routes. We’ve seen him in jump ball situations, and he’s been very bad at it. High pointing the football has never really been a strength of Treadwell’s. Even in college. Treadwell should be used over the middle. That’s where he’s at his best. 

28 minutes ago, SemperFeist said:

I guess I don’t understand this notion that Treadwell would be good at fade routes. We’ve seen him in jump ball situations, and he’s been very bad at it. High pointing the football has never really been a strength of Treadwell’s. Even in college. Treadwell should be used over the middle. That’s where he’s at his best. 

Seems fair and could be the reason we haven’t seen it. I’ve always just thought his big body could be utilized better, especially in the red zone. 

I'm really hopeful we don't lose DeFilippo this offseason. He's honestly been a really solid OC. He has made some phenomenal play calls, and some lackluster ones. Execution has been a bigger issue, but I like to believe he is slowing getting a grasp of what the offense struggles with and how to avoid calls that put them in situations they won't be successful in.

I’d actually prefer to see DeFilippo get a head coaching job after the season.

DeFilippo is on the fast track for a head coaching job, so if he doesn’t get hired following this season, he’s more than likely going to get hired following 2019. And if DeFilippo doesn’t get hired this year, you can almost assure that Kevin Stefanski will leave. So, we could likely lose Stefanski and DeFilippo in the span of one year. 

Whereas, if DeFilippo leaves following this season, the Vikings will most likely promote Stefanski to offensive coordinator. Stefanski would then likely be the OC for 2019, and beyond. Which will provide the team with far more consistency. 

Archived