Thoughts on DeFilippo so far?

SotanKing

3 hours ago, vikingsrule said:

Who are serious names to keep an eye on for next year that work for Zimmer?

Mike McCarthy would probably be #1 on the list. We know how Zimmer likes to add former head coaches to his staff, so if McCarthy doesn’t land another head coaching job (which I would fully expect him to do), he fits to profile. 

Other than a truly established coach, I’d bet money that the Vikings just continue with the plan and promote Kevin Stefanski. 

DeFilippo was only expected to be a one year hire anyways, albeit under more positive circumstances. But the team blocked Stefanski from going to New York for a reason.

7 minutes ago, vikingsrule said:

Probably should have gone with Stefanski from the start. This year is turning out to be a disaster.

In hindsight, yes. But landing DeFilippo was considered one of our best offseason additions. I think it’s become plainly obvious DeFilippo didn’t have as much influence in the Eagles offense as many people believed. 

Here's something I saw on Reddit.....take it for what it is but it does make sense.

Is JDF more interested in getting his "name out there" and purposely scheming to be a passing team and throw the ball 30+ times a game instead of going with a grind it out offense? I mean throwing is more exciting than clock control and keeping the ball out of the opposing QB's hands. Everyone assumes JDF is a "one & done" so maybe he's more interested in making himself look good with passing rather than putting out the proper game plan?

Is he really setting himself up to go into interviews and say "As we know, the NFL is a passing league so look at my QB's stats! 4,300 with 30 touchdowns!"

6 hours ago, Vikes_Bolts1228 said:

Here's something I saw on Reddit.....take it for what it is but it does make sense.

Is JDF more interested in getting his "name out there" and purposely scheming to be a passing team and throw the ball 30+ times a game instead of going with a grind it out offense? I mean throwing is more exciting than clock control and keeping the ball out of the opposing QB's hands. Everyone assumes JDF is a "one & done" so maybe he's more interested in making himself look good with passing rather than putting out the proper game plan?

Is he really setting himself up to go into interviews and say "As we know, the NFL is a passing league so look at my QB's stats! 4,300 with 30 touchdowns!"

And if I were an owner/GM, I would say..."They got to the NFCCG before you arrived!  Your teams' record with the two best receivers, a more than competent tight end, an exciting running back who can catch passes, and an $84,000,000.00 quarterback couldn't (or barely) make the playoffs.  No thank you.  Next!!"

I think there will be at least 4 head coaching openings this offseason, and potentially as many as 8. 

I think Green Bay, Cleveland, the Jets, and Tampa Bay are locks to be looking for a new head coach. While, depending on how they finish down the stretch, I could see Carolina, Baltimore, Denver, and Arizona all being open as well. 

If 4-6 spots open up, it’s hard to see DeFilippo not landing one of them, given the current trend in coaching hires. 

43 minutes ago, SemperFeist said:

I think there will be at least 4 head coaching openings this offseason, and potentially as many as 8. 

I think Green Bay, Cleveland, the Jets, and Tampa Bay are locks to be looking for a new head coach. While, depending on how they finish down the stretch, I could see Carolina, Baltimore, Denver, and Arizona all being open as well. 

If 4-6 spots open up, it’s hard to see DeFilippo not landing one of them, given the current trend in coaching hires. 

I’d guess Wilks is still fine in Arizona 

6 hours ago, Vikes_Bolts1228 said:

Or it could simply be a case where the Vikings paid Kirk Cousins $84 million in guaranteed money precisely because of his ability to throw the ball down the field. I would be shocked if there wasn't some expectation at the organizational level that DeFilippo would move to a more pass-oriented, vertical offence.

It's also a situation where the Vikings were playing from behind in both the Bears game and the Patriots game. It's difficult to go to the run when your OL is not blocking your run plays very well and at the same time you need to score points.

29 minutes ago, gopherwrestler said:

I’d guess Wilks is still fine in Arizona 

With the win at Green Bay, you’re probably right. But before that game, the Cardinals looked like a dumpster fire with no sense of direction. 

Honestly, with Mike McCarthy available, I think the it changes the entire game. 

Archived