Thoughts on DeFilippo so far?

SotanKing

Just now, VikeManDan said:

So he still has a job? They let him on the plane back home? Cool...

Rarely should they make a decision based off emotion. At the very least he has to watch the tape to see if it was more of the play calling or execution imo.

I wouldn't be against him being fired but I highly doubt that'll happen. Who knows, maybe he'll pull a Turner

3 hours ago, SemperFeist said:

In 2012, the Baltimore Ravens fired their OC after a week 14 loss. They went on to win the Super Bowl. 

Zimmer, I think you know what you need to do. 

The difference is that they had an experienced play-caller in-house in Jim Caldwell.  The Vikings have no such luxury.  They do have Todd Downing, but he really has no more experience than JDF had when he arrived.  And then they're already stretched thin by having him coach TEs (which he had never done prior to the year), so then you'd have to shuffle that as well.  You just can't do it right now.   

26 minutes ago, swede700 said:

You just can't do it right now.

Of course you can. JDF is clearly not working. There’s clearly a disconnect between him and Zimmer, and like between him and his players. You cut loose the dead weight and give the job to the guy who likely should have been handed the job in the first place. 

No, Stefanski doesn’t have any previous experience. But, quite frankly, it can’t get any worse. 

If he’s not going to be back next year, and I don’t see how he can be, then there’s no point in keeping him for the rest of the season. Things aren’t getting better, they are progressively getting worse. So, even if DeFilippo isn’t entirely the one to blame (he’s not, it’s not just a one person issue), he still clearly doesn’t have any idea on how to fix it. 

1 minute ago, SemperFeist said:

If he’s not going to be back next year, and I don’t see how he can be, then there’s no point in keeping him for the rest of the season. Things aren’t getting better, they are progressively getting worse. So, even if DeFilippo isn’t entirely the one to blame (he’s not, it’s not just a one person issue), he still clearly doesn’t have any idea on how to fix it. 

I agree.  It's also a time to evaluate Stefanski as an OC for next season. 

41 minutes ago, Virginia Viking said:

I agree.  It's also a time to evaluate Stefanski as an OC for next season. 

Exactly.

Give Stefanski 3 games (and maybe a playoff game) to learn the ropes so he goes into 2019 with 4 weeks of experience. 

No different than benching a struggling vet QB for the rookie who sat all year but will take over the team next year.

The Vikes can also see what they have in him. Do they think he's the guy? Or do they have to go out of the building for the next OC?

Just now, gopherwrestler said:

My hopes with Stefanski would be going back to what they did best last year

I think it will help that he doesn't have an "agenda" to use this team as a stepping stone and nothing more. I don't blame JDF at all but I'd be willing to bet he cared more about 2019 and him getting an HC job . Vikings are/were probably nothing more than a stepping stone.

Stefanski has been in this organization for 13 years since he was 23-24 years old. He could very damn well be the next HC of this team someday. He knows more about the team inside & out than JDF ever could. He's been under a bunch of coordinators (some good....some not good) so I think he'll go to what worked in the past with Shurmer and "borrow" from him rather than feeling the need to make an offense to sell to his next team.

Archived