Thoughts on DeFilippo so far?

SotanKing

He has his up's and down's but we gotta realize....he's a 1st year coordinator. 

Not a fan of the redzone play calling especially closer to the goalline. I want to see more pitches and screens inside the 10 where we can get the ball outside and rely less on a line push. Our formula seems to try a run up the middle then pass twice looking for a 1-on-1 in the corner for Diggs/Thielen. I really want to see a screen to Diggs at around the 5. He's fun to watch with the ball/space

I think he tends to get a little too cute at the wrong time on occasion. I forget what the play was during the Detroit game but I remember thinking "We're sitting on a lead and we're moving the ball well....why did we do that?" I'll probably remember later.

I wish we had a running game. I think we're not seeing his full offense with Kirk having a stretch of 3-4 games where he was thrown waaaaayyyyyy too much.

1 hour ago, Vikes_Bolts1228 said:

I think he tends to get a little too cute at the wrong time on occasion. I forget what the play was during the Detroit game but I remember thinking "We're sitting on a lead and we're moving the ball well....why did we do that?"

The misdirection toss play to Cook that he fumbled. 2nd and 6 from the Lions 20, up 2 scores -- why risk a big loss or a turnover?

8 minutes ago, vikingsrule said:

I'd think that a toss is a fairly routine play at this level.

In theory, sure. But this season the Vikings have misplayed several similar plays involving pitches/tosses or screens -- fumbles by Roc Thomas and Cook (both charged to Cousins) and the back pass Diggs eventually recovered, plus a number of batted passes and other close calls. In a situation where downhill running plays have been successful and the OL is doing a decent job protecting Cousins why not keep it simple and make sure you go up 14 points or more? Run wide zone or a 7 yard hook to Rudolph, move the chains, keep the clock running. 

I think overall he has done a pretty good job considering all the things he has had to overcome. Losing Sparano, all the offensive line injuries, and not having Cook for half of the season. I am excited to see what happens in the second half of the season

5 hours ago, Krauser said:

In theory, sure. But this season the Vikings have misplayed several similar plays involving pitches/tosses or screens -- fumbles by Roc Thomas and Cook (both charged to Cousins) and the back pass Diggs eventually recovered, plus a number of batted passes and other close calls. In a situation where downhill running plays have been successful and the OL is doing a decent job protecting Cousins why not keep it simple and make sure you go up 14 points or more? Run wide zone or a 7 yard hook to Rudolph, move the chains, keep the clock running. 

Yes...that was it.

When you're up and playing insane defense.....hand the ball off. No pitches/tosses or plays that invite even hints of a mistake happening. Sure, a pitch/toss should be a safe play in the NFL but it's still a higher risk of an error compared to a hand off/

I forget the score at that time but if that bounces wrong and the Lions can pick it up and score, we're very nearly in the same situation we were in with New Orleans. 

I agree with being conservative in some situations, but in the past we have played "not to lose" to the point where it was infuriating because literally all we were trying to do was kill clock if we had any sort of lead. Granted, we have had a number of mishaps on these "tricky" plays, but if they led to big plays we would be praising JDF for his creativity and aggressiveness. 

I didnt have any problem with the play call. DeFilippo has tried to get cute before and it’s backfired, but I don’t think this was one of those times. It looked like a simple pitch that the running back failed to hang onto. Which was unfortunate, because Cook easily picks up 10+ yards, if not scores, on that play had he caught the pitch cleanly. The blocks were set up beautifully. 

It wasn’t a simple pitch, Cousins turned and motioned left on the jet sweep action before pitching right. That made the pitch travel farther than on most toss sweep plays, and Cousins had to throw it left handed, across his body.

It wasn’t set up beautifully, the edge rusher had immediate penetration and Cook was going to have to dodge him to get back to the LOS. Cook may have taken his eyes off the ball because he could sense he had only a split second to cut upfield.

On paper it might not be a super risky play but for a team that’s more than once already had trouble executing similarly precise plays in the backfield, the risk was higher than a simple outside zone handoff (or even a toss sweep without the misdirection). So in that sense it was another case of trying to be too cute. And again they shot themselves in the foot.

I haven't really been wowed by JDF's playcalling so far. I'd like to see our offense run a lot more smoothly, whether we accomplish that by handing off or passing; just find what works and stick with it instead of getting cute. The players are partly at fault not just because of turnovers and blown execution, but because we seem to have no mental defense against them (to paraphrase a Bill Parcells quote). We let one or two mistakes snowball into a dozen more, killing our confidence and handing over the momentum, and it's maddening. It happened against New Orleans, it happened against Philly in last year's NFCCG, it contributed to our total collapse in 2016, and so on.

The Vikings will never get over the hump until they overcome this weakness. So far, Flip hasn't shown he can help us do that.

47 minutes ago, NoDakViking said:

Any interest in Adam Gase if Defilippo moves on after this year?

If JDF leaves I imagine we'll just promote Stefanski from QB coach to OC. Have to keep some continuity I'd imagine. And no, I don't think I'd be interested in him.

On 11/9/2018 at 3:37 PM, VikeManDan said:

If JDF leaves I imagine we'll just promote Stefanski from QB coach to OC. Have to keep some continuity I'd imagine. And no, I don't think I'd be interested in him.

Agreed.  The OC next year is either going to be DeFlip or Stefanski.  And last I checked, Gase is still the HC of the Dolphins.  If they fire him, that'd be a huge mistake, because it ain't his fault that the Dolphins are middling...and he's only been there 3 years.  That isn't enough time and there isn't enough talent there.  

Archived