Pats sign S Obi Melifonwu

biggbrd

https://www.patspulpit.com/2018/11/5/18064596/new-england-patriots-report-sign-former-oakland-raiders-safety-obi-melifonwu-uconn

Former second rounder of the Raiders', apparently didn't play much due to injuries. Big at 6'4", maybe someone to help out in that S/LB hybrid we all hopes would add speed at the deadline? I know nothing more about him than what is mentioned in the article, anybody have more to add?

Despite the good showing against GB, nice to see more additions to the D.

8 hours ago, SBLIII said:

Interesting these 2 new signings plus they also intend to bring back Burkhead and Duke from IR. So 4 players would need to be cut.

Burkhead coming back would mean Barner getting cut/put on the PS you have to assume.

Can't see any other obvious candidates, Gordon coming in means they have a lot of WRs on the roster...but without an obvious cut.

Maybe there's some injuries not reported yet. Maybe Gronk's going to IR?

Hes a great athlete. Has great size at 6'4  225 and 4.4 speed. I can see this being another Belichick project. Probably start him off at special teams first then slowly develop him into a coverage safety that can play in the box and line up against big tight ends. 

Not too worried about what the Raiders day about this guy, don’t trust they put this guy in the best situation. Injury concerns are definitely real.

I do trust Bill will find his strengths and put him in a position to succeed but I won’t be expecting too much. All I’ve heard is he’s a heck of an athlete,  but he hasn’t been able to stay on the field. He’s a pretty lengthy DB as well, something BB tends to like. 

It’d be interesting to read some pre-draft scouting reports on him to see what they list has his strengths/weaknesses.

Archived