Eagles Malcolm Jenkins and Mychael Kendricks making big impact

Dome

Watching the Eagles and Bills game now.

Mychael Kendricks, a guy many Saints fans have been mock-trading to us for the last 3 seasons just had his 2nd interception of the preseason and blew up a screen for a huge loss.  He's all over the field.

Jenkins is an all-pro safety/NB and his leadership ability is through the roof. 

Pretty frustrating. 

15 hours ago, domepatrol91 said:

Watching the Eagles and Bills game now.

Mychael Kendricks, a guy many Saints fans have been mock-trading to us for the last 3 seasons just had his 2nd interception of the preseason and blew up a screen for a huge loss.  He's all over the field.

Jenkins is an all-pro safety/NB and his leadership ability is through the roof. 

Pretty frustrating. 

Dont worry... Payton has a "VISION" for our players. Didnt have one for them. Lol

6 minutes ago, BossierWhoDat said:

That's riiight  :(

But Payton had a vision for Byrd...

Say what you want about Rob Ryan but give him credit where its due, he wanted to keep Jenkins, Harper and Vaccaro together for same price as Byrd cost.

After hes fired, Byrd is released and Harper brought back for a season and almost trade for Jenkins again. 

In any other city Loomis and Payton would have been fired for the crap they have pulled over the last few years!

Byrd was an all-pro at one point. I remember many people being excited that he was brought on.

However, Rob Ryan was right and we should've kept the safety trio as it was. It would be so nice if Payton's gambles (with injury-prone players) actually payed off more often that not.

I have mixed feelings on this. Jenkins simply wasn't the player he is now when he was with us. He's become much more of a playmaker with the Eagles. This could be for a variety of reasons. Scheme? Wake up call moving to another team? More experience in the NFL? Surrounding talent? We don't know what reasons exactly led to him becoming a much better player with the Eagles. At the time of his Jenkins release and signing Jairus Byrd almost all Saints fans that I recall were totally on board with these moves. As we had appeared to upgrade signing a Safety coming off back 2 back All Pro Seasons with Buffalo. Sometimes moves just don't work out as planned. Every team has gone through this several times.

2 hours ago, tyler735 said:

I have mixed feelings on this. Jenkins simply wasn't the player he is now when he was with us. He's become much more of a playmaker with the Eagles. This could be for a variety of reasons. Scheme? Wake up call moving to another team? More experience in the NFL? Surrounding talent? We don't know what reasons exactly led to him becoming a much better player with the Eagles. At the time of his Jenkins release and signing Jairus Byrd almost all Saints fans that I recall were totally on board with these moves. As we had appeared to upgrade signing a Safety coming off back 2 back All Pro Seasons with Buffalo. Sometimes moves just don't work out as planned. Every team has gone through this several times.

I agree a lot with this, and I think you nailed it when you said "Scheme".

On 8/18/2017 at 2:26 PM, tyler735 said:

Many loved the idea of signing Byrd on the surface but there was also a large group of fans that seen it as yet another desperation move for a team already up aganist the cap to make a guy with a bad knee the highest paid safety at the time.

As far as Jenkins becomeing a better player in Philly than he is here, sounds like a common theme with talented defenders that the Saints didnt know how to utilize properly. Add Hicks to that list amoung many others.

At the time of the Byrd signing and letting Jenkins walk, it was the right call.  Jenkins became undisciplined playing for Williams and needed to be put into a new environment/scheme to get back to where he was early on.  He's regrouped to the player I knew he could be all along, but unfortunately it's after the Saints have moved on from him. 

On 8/20/2017 at 11:35 AM, whodatworm23 said:

Many loved the idea of signing Byrd on the surface but there was also a large group of fans that seen it as yet another desperation move for a team already up aganist the cap to make a guy with a bad knee the highest paid safety at the time.

As far as Jenkins becomeing a better player in Philly than he is here, sounds like a common theme with talented defenders that the Saints didnt know how to utilize properly. Add Hicks to that list amoung many others.

No, you can go back and read the old threads from when we signed him and every single Saints fan was excited about it and the prospect of a Byrd/Vaccaro safety duo. Byrd didn't work out for a multitude of reasons and thus was a bad signing. Letting Jenkins go was not a bad thing imo. I 100% guarantee you he wouldn't have become this good playing for us, thus it's a moot point that he's good now. And as someone else said, there could be a variety of reasons for that. Could be the scheme. Could've been a wake up call. Could be that we just can't teach defense, although that hasn't stopped some players from becoming good here (Jordan and Vaccaro for the 2 best example right now).

5 hours ago, Spartica4Real said:

No, you can go back and read the old threads from when we signed him and every single Saints fan was excited about it and the prospect of a Byrd/Vaccaro safety duo. Byrd didn't work out for a multitude of reasons and thus was a bad signing. Letting Jenkins go was not a bad thing imo. I 100% guarantee you he wouldn't have become this good playing for us, thus it's a moot point that he's good now. And as someone else said, there could be a variety of reasons for that. Could be the scheme. Could've been a wake up call. Could be that we just can't keep defense, although that hasn't stopped some players from becoming good here (Jordan and Vaccaro for the 2 best example right now).

Very telling that we had a all pro safety talent and never got it out of him, then basically traded him in for a established all pro safety and never got that out of him either...

Im sure this regime has a ton of excuses at the ready for all that tho.

46 minutes ago, whodatworm23 said:

Very telling that we had a all pro safety talent and never got it out of him, then basically traded him in for a established all pro safety and never got that out of him either...

Im sure this regime has a ton of excuses at the ready for all that tho.

The Saints "vision" changed post John Hancock of said players. It's no one's fault, just tomorrow's future plans not matching today's future plans. Lol 

Archived