Allison to IR, Whitehead released....

dafreak

5 hours ago, mikemike778 said:

If Whitehead was cut due to the ejection then you can't cut everyone who makes a mistake or the team will be playing scared.

or, they will be playing smart.

we arent axing people for making a physical or even mental mistake (i.e. aaron jones fumble)

we are axing people who willfully make bonehead decisions. Slapping someone in the face is a decision. running the ball out of the ez when you know not to is a decsion. 

need to get rid of all of our bostics

I don't mind holding a player accountable for stupid undisciplined actions, I just wish it wouldn't have happened to this position group. We're badly hurting at safety right now.  I'm not sure we've got a safety on the roster that would make any other NFL roster as a special teamer (maybe Jones because he's a great athlete) muchless a starter. 

Would have loved to have seen Jake Kumerow activated if he's healthy.  He was a substantially better player than any one of our rookies for the entirety of camp and the preseason.  Would have been nice to have seen if that success translated into the regular season.  That was going to be his only legitimate shot with Green Bay to show that he's a capable NFL WR.  

1 hour ago, SSG said:

I don't mind holding a player accountable for stupid undisciplined actions, I just wish it wouldn't have happened to this position group. We're badly hurting at safety right now.  I'm not sure we've got a safety on the roster that would make any other NFL roster as a special teamer (maybe Jones because he's a great athlete) muchless a starter. 

Let's not pretend like we just cut Josh Jones or HHCD because they were undisciplined.  We released a JAG.  He's a guy we're actively looking to replace in the offseason, and we made the claim on Campbell.

3 hours ago, LacyIsGood said:

I don't think the Whitehead cut is fully about the ejection hurting the team.  If so, I'm pretty sure Tony Brown would have been cut by now.

Tony Brown got that Jarrett Bush elite ST player ceiling. Can't be cutting that potential.

56 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

Let's not pretend like we just cut Josh Jones or HHCD because they were undisciplined.  We released a JAG.  He's a guy we're actively looking to replace in the offseason, and we made the claim on Campbell.

Not pretending anything.  I don't know the reason anymore than you do.  None of us know why exactly Whitehead was cut.   HHCD wasn't traded because he was undisciplined, he was traded because we got better value than what we'd have likely gotten from the COMP pick process.  Why Whitehead went from being a a starter seeing a MAJOR snap count one week (96%) to being cut a couple days after being ejected is debatable.  

Whitehead is surely JAG but so is  every single safety we've got on the roster.  Say what you want about him but he's been just as good or better than the other safeties.

3 minutes ago, SSG said:

Not pretending anything.  I don't know the reason anymore than you do.  None of us know why exactly Whitehead was cut.   HHCD wasn't traded because he was undisciplined, he was traded because we got better value than what we'd have likely gotten from the COMP pick process.  Why Whitehead went from being a a starter seeing a MAJOR snap count one week (96%) to being cut a couple days after being ejected is debatable.  

Whitehead is surely JAG but so is  every single safety we've got on the roster.  Say what you want about him but he's been just as good or better than the other safeties.

What differentiates Whitehead from say Kentrell Brice or Raven Greene?  On the season, Whitehead has played in roughly 42% of the defensive snaps and 58% of the ST snaps.  Brice has played in 88% of the defensive snaps and 19% of the ST snaps.  Greene has played in 42% of the ST snaps and no defensive snaps.  Both of them are clearly on the team for different reasons.  Brice is our starting safety, and Greene is clearly a ST player.  I wouldn't really consider Greene a developmental type either, and you're not keeping a guy on a team who isn't either a developmental type or core ST player.  The reason Whitehead was cut was for a multitude of reasons, not just one.  He was average at just about everything, and then you add on the lack of discipline and it probably wasn't a smart play for him to slap Edelman or whoever it was.  Whitehead got starter snaps probably to see what they had in him.  He wasn't good against the Rams by any means.

7 hours ago, SSG said:

Would have loved to have seen Jake Kumerow activated if he's healthy.  He was a substantially better player than any one of our rookies for the entirety of camp and the preseason.  Would have been nice to have seen if that success translated into the regular season.  That was going to be his only legitimate shot with Green Bay to show that he's a capable NFL WR.  

I agree on Kumerow.  I think there is still a chance since no one else is really worth bringing back at this point.  Allison has been replaced by MVS quite well and I don't see Kumerow as a huge drop off from Allison.

Davis makes sense at this point.  Given the state of the secondary, I'm sure we'd rather keep Williams and Breeland off of returns.  

Archived