Route-Running (Nelson, Bennett, and Getsy)

CentralFC

https://www.theringer.com/nfl/2017/8/18/16167668/route-running-technique-jordy-nelson-keenan-allen-cole-beasley

"When Green Bay wide receivers coach Luke Getsy arrived on the staff as a quality-control assistant in 2014, he introduced a new method for getting in and out of the break at the top of routes. By first planting on the inside foot—as opposed to the outside foot—when getting to the break of a route, the Packers receivers eliminated one small step and created a subtle but vital advantage. “By allowing us to get to that drop in [three steps] and letting our plant foot hit before or at the same time as the DB, we’re going to be successful no matter how good the DB is,” Nelson says. With 98 catches for 1,519 yards with 13 touchdowns, the 2014 season also happened to be the most productive of Nelson’s career."

We've seen some pretty nifty route runners in recent years in Green Bay. 

The best in my opinion is Jennings, all around. The best chemistry on his routes and sideline wherewithal goes to Nelson. The best get-off, probably a tie between Jennings and Adams. Those devastating slants near the end zone are some of my favorite plays.

Thoughts?

9 minutes ago, Cakeshoppe said:

I've read about several ways that Getsy has brought unconventional tactics to receiver training (I think I remember something about catching bricks) but its been hard to tell how much it's paid off with injuries and Rodgers' slump

Can only go off what the players say, and generally the praise is glowing. But really, who knows. 

The brick catching thing is cool. So is the "man hands" drill where they catch the ball inches from the JUGS machine. 

But it's not really whether these guys can transfer these skills to the field, it's whether they get on AR's good side. Allison has the fourth of the
(athletic) ability/talent of Davis or Janis. Hopefully one of the latter puts it together in 17 (my money is on Davis, with JJ as a teams ace), while Allison provides a complementary target.

1 minute ago, CentralFC said:

@CWood21, @Cadmus, @Packerraymond, @CalhounLambeau -- thoughts on what makes a quality route runner in today's league?

What are 1 or 2 things you specifically look for when evaluating film of draft prospects? Sinking their hips and the ability to track the deep ball/make contested catches, but anything else? 

I wouldn't say there's any one thing in particular I'm looking for.  In general, I don't want to see a lot of wasted movement.  You'll generally see it more in bigger receivers than you do in smaller receivers, smaller receivers generally have a bit more flexibility.  You see it more in the feet, but it shows up in the hips as well.  The best route runners are generally considered smooth, which means they don't have a ton of extra movement.  No extra steps, body not flailing around, etc.

You also need a receiver who sells the route they're making.  I don't know how many times I've seen a receiver half arse a route, and his counterpart doesn't have any trouble diagnosing play routes.  If your receiver isn't selling a route, why would the DB defend against that route?  Janis had a pretty good sale on his TD reception, but he's pretty bad overall about selling his routes.

19 hours ago, CentralFC said:

@CWood21, @Cadmus, @Packerraymond, @CalhounLambeau -- thoughts on what makes a quality route runner in today's league?

What are 1 or 2 things you specifically look for when evaluating film of draft prospects? Sinking their hips and the ability to track the deep ball/make contested catches, but anything else? 

If you read through the comments in this thread from Palmy, you get some WR assessment snippets in the section on Yancy and even more so on Dupre

http://www.footballsfuture.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=588333

"Elite hands, body control, and ball skills. Can play it over the shoulder and high point it with the very best in this class. Average speed both long and short. Willing but thin blocker. Average to below average RAC skills" 

On 8/18/2017 at 6:01 PM, CentralFC said:

Feet, Flexibility, Quickness/Acceleration 

53 minutes ago, Cadmus said:

Feet, Flexibility, Quickness/Acceleration 

Agree.   There is an element of suddenness in the change of speed at the break.   Moving at 80-90%, then the burst to 100%.  

There is a "mental" side of things in know how to set up a route, set up and DB.  Selling the route is the likely phrase.  Could be eyes, hips, shoulder, just something has to sell the DB on 1 thing as the WR wants to do something different

Jennings was the best I've seen in Green and Gold since Sharpe.  Nod of the head to Brooks, Driver and Freeman, but Jennings was amazing, as was Sharpe.  The others were "just" very good.

I think it starts with the brain upstairs, it includes the feet (quickness), eyes and hands.  Jennings had zero wasted movement and incredible quickness to go along with hand/eye coordination.

On 8/18/2017 at 6:01 PM, CentralFC said:

Route running is such a process that there isn't one thing I can look at and say that player will be good and that won't.

I mean you're even starting with alignment and spacing. Knowing your route, the route of the guy next to you and how they relate. Before the ball is even snapped you can screw up a route by being off the ball when you're supposed to be on, or too close to the slot receiver, etc... This is the mental aspect of playing receiver. The ability to know the routes and the play and how not only yours, but everyone elses interact and how you can best utilize that.

Then at the snap is the stem. The first three steps. This is when you're on the attack as a WR. Your goal is to obviously turn the DB. To do so your first three steps need to properly attack him. If you turn him the way you're breaking towards than you won't get open. Depending on the route you'll either attack his inside/outside shoulder/hip. Usually a deep route you'll go directly head on and force the DB to try and turn at full speed. Tight hipped DBs will always lose ground that way.

Then there is the most obvious top of the route. There it really is all about making ever step count. Every false step is a chance for the DB to catch back up and make a play on the ball. On deep routes with no break you need to stack the DB, make it so he has to play through you to get to the ball. Even in the case of an underthrow lots of times you can get a DPI if you've stacked your DB behind you instead of letting him run side by side.

So it's tough to take one aspect and look for it to say "that's a good route runner." Usually the guys who run good routes do so from a young age, and guys that struggle from the start never really get it. Routes are one thing that usually translate pretty simply from college to pros. It definitely takes more than just speed.

Archived