Optimism? WHAT?!

gopackgo27

Just now, Howler said:

How many seasons can this team put itself in Must Win Situations before week 8? At some point, it takes it toll. This team is toast. Winless on the road and people expect them to go on a run? 

This is the optimism thread.  Bring your sourpuss attitude somewhere else. 

There is literally no reason whatsoever to be pessimistic right now.  Either the Packers march into Minnesota and upset the Vikings, thus providing a rallying cry for their season and for winning 10 straight games, or they lose and get themselves in commanding position to tank their way to a top 10 pick. 

A loss to the Vikings practically guarantees a loss to the Falcons and the Bears, plus one more loss where the team just isn't feeling the need to win.  That would bring our record to 6-9-1, which would probably definitely put us in the top 10 in draft order. 

So either we got a shot at the most unlikely Super Bowl season since the 2007 Giants, or we get a hell of a draft class going into McCarthy's prove it year. 

Before last night's game, we could have afforded one loss to teams other than MIN or CHI.  We just burned that one loss, so we need to run the table now.  While we haven't won any road games, we haven't been completely outmatched either.  I'm glad that our biggest problem right now is with the offense instead of the defense.  Offense is easier to go on a hot streak from here.  Defense just needs to maintain their play.  I'm not saying we'll win out, but it certainly isn't a far fetched possibility.

I'm very optimistic we're going to be in position to take a very good player in the first round where it appears to be about 12-14 deep. 

I'm also very optimistic we are finally going to rid ourselves of cross between Phil Bengsten, Mike Sherman Jr. at head coach this off season. 

After that will a few new free agent signings and a solid draft to shore up EDGE (Matthews and Perry are gone), safety and offensive line we'll be in the talk for a Super Bowl run next year. 

If we still have McCarthy, there is no longer any room for optimism. 

I'm optimistic that Sackrell's performance means we only have to draft one Edge with our two firsts next spring. I'm optimistic that MM's bone-headed game management serves the purpose of unintentionally tanking the team and making our #1 pick a top ten pick that will bring us an awesome Edge player. I'm optimistic the Perry will overcome his ankle problems over the next offseason and contribute to the Edge rotation. I'm optimistic that Clay will move inside and pair with Blake to give us a great LB corps in 2019. I'm optimistic that we draft the next Jordy in round two next year. I'm optimistic that Tonyan develops into a great TE next year. I'm optimistic that Gute finds two Gs in the draft, one of which puts Bell on the bench where he belongs. I'm optimistic that Gute finds a great safety with NO's #1 pick. I'm optimistic that Wilkerson comes back and provides the depth we need on the d-line. And I'm especially optimistic that the young DBs, Alexander, King, Jackson, Greene, Brown, Brice, and even Breeland come back next year and develop into the top secondary in the NFL. And I'm optimistic that Gute finds a young, bright offensive minded HC who will rekindle Aaron's excitement for the game and his all-world performance that has been missing lately. And all of this will put us in the Super Bowl. How's that for optimism? 

@Malfatron, @Norm, @AlexGreen#20, it has to be someone who believes. 

@incognito_man got us the W against the Dolphins, but he struck out with the Seahawks.  There was a handful of reasons why his GDT didn't work out. 

I would tag others, but it has to be someone reliable who is willing to take this to the Superb Owl.  It takes someone who believes, someone dedicated to make the GDT at the right time.  We need six weeks of regular season wins, then four weeks of postseason Game Day Threads. 

We cannot afford another loss.  Of the three of you, the one who makes the next one has to be without any doubt that we can R-E-L-A-X and Run the Table. 

Who is up to the task? 

On 11/16/2018 at 11:33 AM, Outpost31 said:

or they lose and get themselves in commanding position to tank their way to a top 10 pick

the team will never do this with coaches fighting for their jobs and a core of veterans who will not stop trying until they are mathematically eliminated from the playoffs.

So there is plenty of reason for pessimism.  The most likely outcome is 8-7-1 and a 16th-20th pick

1 hour ago, Outpost31 said:

@incognito_man got us the W against the Dolphins, but he struck out with the Seahawks.  There was a handful of reasons why his GDT didn't work out. 

I would tag others, but it has to be someone reliable who is willing to take this to the Superb Owl.  It takes someone who believes, someone dedicated to make the GDT at the right time.  We need six weeks of regular season wins, then four weeks of postseason Game Day Threads. 

We cannot afford another loss.  Of the three of you, the one who makes the next one has to be without any doubt that we can R-E-L-A-X and Run the Table. 

Who is up to the task? 

I will take it. 

I will take the ring (team) to Mordor (the superb owl).

But I do not know the way (On Sunday after I get home)

On 11/16/2018 at 11:33 AM, Outpost31 said:

There is literally no reason whatsoever to be pessimistic right now.  Either the Packers march into Minnesota and upset the Vikings, thus providing a rallying cry for their season and for winning 10 straight games, or they lose and get themselves in commanding position to tank their way to a top 10 pick. 

A loss to the Vikings practically guarantees a loss to the Falcons and the Bears, plus one more loss where the team just isn't feeling the need to win.  That would bring our record to 6-9-1, which would probably definitely put us in the top 10 in draft order. 

So either we got a shot at the most unlikely Super Bowl season since the 2007 Giants, or we get a hell of a draft class going into McCarthy's prove it year. 

A loss to the Vikings and every Packers fan should be secretly pulling for us to tank the rest of the season. We lose to the Vikings, the 2018 season is over and I want the best draft pick possible in 2019. We saw the benefits of drafting in the teens this year, let's do it again and aim even higher. Worst thing that can happen now is the Packers lose to the Vikings but scratch their way to 7-8-1 or 8-7-1. That's a waste of everyone's time. 

On the flip side, if we beat the Vikings, the road map to the NFC North crown is still alive and well. What we need is the Vikings to win Sunday in Chicago. A win by the Vikings puts everyone at: Bears 6-4, Vikings 6-3-1, Packers 4-5-1. 

The Bears and Vikings each get another loss from GB giving them 5 losses and 4 losses respectively. From that point, we need just a single loss from each of them and the two big games on the schedule are the Rams for the Bears and Patriots for the Vikings. On the flip side, if we edge out the Vikings, the only other game left on the schedule that gives you pause is at the Bears but I'll take it given our history of owning them especially at Chicago. 

All comes down to next week. 

9 hours ago, Outpost31 said:

Who is up to the task? 

@ThatJerkDave has got this.

regardless, we are winning every game except the falcons game (where we run into a buzzsaw), but STILL get the 3rd seed after washington goes 9-7

9 hours ago, skibrett15 said:

the team will never do this with coaches fighting for their jobs and a core of veterans who will not stop trying until they are mathematically eliminated from the playoffs.

So there is plenty of reason for pessimism.  The most likely outcome is 8-7-1 and a 16th-20th pick

Even if they tried, the Jets, Cards, and Lions are unlikely to let them.

7-8-1 is not out of the question, however.

Given how we've played over the past ten games what gives some of you the idea suddenly the coach's playbook suddenly becomes imaginative and not so stale? What makes you think we are suddenly a different offense or a different team? 

I love the one posters argument that if we get rid of McCarthy after the season it is two more years before we could get back as a new coach adjusts. On the other hand, if we keep McCarthy it will be one more wasted year in the career of the best QB the planet has ever seen. 

Archived