Jump to content
oland11

GDT: Jerry's World (3-5) v. Wentzlyvania and the funky bunch (4-4)

Recommended Posts

1 minute ago, Nabbs4u said:

So you think Chip wanted Smith? Stop hating, you know who draft that POS!

yeah i think the coach was ok with drafting smith and also deflected all blame 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, ninjapirate said:

yeah i think the coach was ok with drafting smith and also deflected all blame 

The Hatred runs Strong with you Old Padawan! 👍

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Nabbs4u said:

The Hatred runs Strong with you Old Padawan! 👍

the hatred of what? You are trying to argue over the worst move howie made. I'm saying it's trading a 3rd for no reason. You think it was drafting a guy that had just led the ncaa in sacks after trading back. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Trading a 3rd for Tate is at most, TBD. Supposedly the guy ends up with 900 yards and 7 TDs for us, was it a bad trade? 

Howie sitting on his hands then drafting Pump has cost us clearly. We have no RB now and for the future and then had to spend a pick to get Ajayi in here, who (say what you want about Tate but jury’s still out) was never intended for an extension.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/12/2018 at 12:25 AM, ninjapirate said:

he still wasnt good tonight 

Not good, just "good enough."
Had he been pressured into the mistakes he is capable of making .....

The whole point was that if you can't force him into errant throws, he will do enough to beat you.
He did.
It was a Schwartz thing.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/14/2018 at 3:56 AM, Jroc04 said:

Trading a 3rd for Tate is at most, TBD. Supposedly the guy ends up with 900 yards and 7 TDs for us, was it a bad trade? 

Howie sitting on his hands then drafting Pump has cost us clearly. We have no RB now and for the future and then had to spend a pick to get Ajayi in here, who (say what you want about Tate but jury’s still out) was never intended for an extension.  

?????

You can't say that missing on a 4th round pick is the demise of the franchise.
That's just insane.

The Eagles secured Ajayi for this season.
Does every team have the RB depth to replace a #1 RB sufficiently?
Gurley, Elliot, Hunt, Barkley, McCaffrey, Jones, Miller, Johnson?

The Eagles were notably thin there, like most.
At this point I'd say sign CJ Anderson, but I don't have faith the line is good enough to make him good, aka, any better than what they have ..... and he is.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, babyatemydingo said:

?????

You can't say that missing on a 4th round pick is the demise of the franchise.
That's just insane.

The Eagles secured Ajayi for this season.
Does every team have the RB depth to replace a #1 RB sufficiently?
Gurley, Elliot, Hunt, Barkley, McCaffrey, Jones, Miller, Johnson?

The Eagles were notably thin there, like most.
At this point I'd say sign CJ Anderson, but I don't have faith the line is good enough to make him good, aka, any better than what they have ..... and he is.

I didn’t infer there was any “demise of a franchise”. I gave an example of one of Howie’s, possibly his worst, moves as GM. 

Not getting one of those very good rookie RBs set us back a few picks. It’s undeniable. The picks (4th and 7th) we used for Pump, the pick (4th) we used for Ajayi, and the pick we’ll use next year to get a competent back in here. 

From a BleedingGreen article:

”And, don’t forget, the 2017 NFL draft class was loaded with running back talent. It’s the class that featured guys like Leonard FournetteDalvin CookAlvin KamaraJames Conner, and Tarik Cohen. Notable running backs drafted after Pumphrey included Marlon Mack, Wayne Gallman Aaron Jones, and Chris Carson.

Even Kareem Hunt was a viable option, as explained (ranted) about at the time:

“Those who say the Eagles didn’t have a shot at drafting Hunt are wrong. The Chiefs traded up to No. 86 to take him by trading No. 104, No. 132, and No. 245. The Eagles easily could have given up No. 99, No. 139, and No. 230 to move up. Note that Rasul Douglas was selected at No. 99 while the Eagles packaged No. 139 and No. 230 to move up for Pumphrey.”

(Douglas has shown some potential but the coaching staff has been reluctant to give him playing time even with Jalen Mills struggling.)

The Eagles didn’t complete whiff on the position as they did snag Corey Clement as an undrafted free agent, but imagine what the backfield would look like today if Howie Roseman and crew went a different direction and actually selected a running back who at least projected to be a viable NFL player.”

It was almost an entire impossibility that you could whiff on a RB prospect that year.....unless you chose Pump. What a disaster. One I won’t forget soon. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, babyatemydingo said:

Not good, just "good enough."
Had he been pressured into the mistakes he is capable of making .....

The whole point was that if you can't force him into errant throws, he will do enough to beat you.
He did.
It was a Schwartz thing.

meh any nfl caliber qb drops 50 on the eagles last sunday. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/17/2018 at 10:30 AM, Jroc04 said:

I didn’t infer there was any “demise of a franchise”. I gave an example of one of Howie’s, possibly his worst, moves as GM. 

Not getting one of those very good rookie RBs set us back a few picks. It’s undeniable. The picks (4th and 7th) we used for Pump, the pick (4th) we used for Ajayi, and the pick we’ll use next year to get a competent back in here. 

From a BleedingGreen article:

”And, don’t forget, the 2017 NFL draft class was loaded with running back talent. It’s the class that featured guys like Leonard FournetteDalvin CookAlvin KamaraJames Conner, and Tarik Cohen. Notable running backs drafted after Pumphrey included Marlon Mack, Wayne Gallman Aaron Jones, and Chris Carson.

Even Kareem Hunt was a viable option, as explained (ranted) about at the time:

“Those who say the Eagles didn’t have a shot at drafting Hunt are wrong. The Chiefs traded up to No. 86 to take him by trading No. 104, No. 132, and No. 245. The Eagles easily could have given up No. 99, No. 139, and No. 230 to move up. Note that Rasul Douglas was selected at No. 99 while the Eagles packaged No. 139 and No. 230 to move up for Pumphrey.”

(Douglas has shown some potential but the coaching staff has been reluctant to give him playing time even with Jalen Mills struggling.)

The Eagles didn’t complete whiff on the position as they did snag Corey Clement as an undrafted free agent, but imagine what the backfield would look like today if Howie Roseman and crew went a different direction and actually selected a running back who at least projected to be a viable NFL player.”

It was almost an entire impossibility that you could whiff on a RB prospect that year.....unless you chose Pump. What a disaster. One I won’t forget soon. 

You didn't "infer."
Inferring is done by the listener.
"I inferred that by your comments."

However, you "implied."
"Implying" is done by the speaker.
And yes, you implied.
In fact, you reinforced it by your comments.

I am going to forget your wet dream about Kareem Hunt for many reasons.
Here are the RB's taken after Pumphrey:

Jamaal Williams  
Wayne Gallman  
Marlon Mack  
Brian Hill  
Jeremy McNichols  
T. J. Logan  
Aaron Jones
Elijah McGuire  
De'Angelo Henderson
Devante Mays  
Khalfani Muhammad  
Elijah Hood  
Chris Carson  
Matthew Dayes 

Now, who was the heir apparent to Darren Sproles?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, babyatemydingo said:

You didn't "infer."
Inferring is done by the listener.
"I inferred that by your comments."

However, you "implied."
"Implying" is done by the speaker.
And yes, you implied.
In fact, you reinforced it by your comments.

I am going to forget your wet dream about Kareem Hunt for many reasons.
Here are the RB's taken after Pumphrey:

Jamaal Williams  
Wayne Gallman  
Marlon Mack  
Brian Hill  
Jeremy McNichols  
T. J. Logan  
Aaron Jones
Elijah McGuire  
De'Angelo Henderson
Devante Mays  
Khalfani Muhammad  
Elijah Hood  
Chris Carson  
Matthew Dayes 

Now, who was the heir apparent to Darren Sproles?

lol I’m really in my place now with that vocabulary lesson. Appreciate that. 

What rabbit hole are you taking this down? You gotta stop browning out and replying once a month while in a some whiskey stupor. 

We were discussing Howie’s worst move as a GM. I suggested drafting Pump has cost us and was, IMO, his worst move. I never said (or implied) the move damns the franchise to the basement. Just that it was bad and will set us back. RBs are usually easy to come by. But he let a ton of talent, just in that draft year alone, pass him by. 

Never brought up Hunt. Don’t want him. Again, the drinking.

Ok, so you gave me a list of RBs taken after Pump. What’s your point? Who is the heir to Sproles’ role? lol I dunno? Who brought up Sproles? We could have drafted about 4-5 guys on that list that could have greatly helped us this year. IMO, Clement was/is our heir to Sproles. We needed a back, after Ajayi left, to take the bulk of the carries. Ajayi just happened to get hurt unfortunately. But that just further exacerbates the issue. Howie missed on a golden opportunity to get a RB of the future. And really, missing on Pump was also the reason why we kept Sproles on the roster all damn year taking up a valuable roster spot when the guy took 10 weeks to get healthy. What are you missing? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

First of all, I was drinking brandy, Miguel Torres 10 yr., not whiskey.
And when I drink whiskey it is bourbon, usually overproof, not just whiskey.

Pumphrey was clearly expected to develop into Sproles' replacement.
He didn't pan out.  Most guys don't.

You did mention Hunt.
I liked him, too, but not at an additional cost.
The point of the list was that there was not a subsequent pick who equated to an heir apparent to Sproles as a third down, receiving back.

(For the record, I did suggest Phillip Lindsay (in a mock) due to his receiving stats (one drop in four years).
But, that was another draft.
Also, I tilt to Pac-12 players which casts a dubious light on some of my selections.)

Nonetheless, the Eagles weren't just looking for "a back."
They were trying to find a back who could do what Sproles can do.
Clement was not drafted to be that guy.
In fact, he wasn't even drafted.  He was an afterthought.

Pumphrey is just another guy who wasn't the right guy, like so many others.
He was taken in the 4th round, trade up* or not, not a game changer.

It was a calculated risk that fell outside the desired parameters.
It was far from a horrible pick at the time.
Nobody is going to say, "Ryan Leaf, Tony Mandarich, Donnell Pumphrey."
Nobody is going to say, "Danny Watkins, Marcus Smith, Donnell Pumphrey."

It just wasn't that bad.
That's my point.
 

*See Matt Barkley and Max Jean-Gilles
 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, babyatemydingo said:

First of all, I was drinking brandy, Miguel Torres 10 yr., not whiskey.
And when I drink whiskey it is bourbon, usually overproof, not just whiskey.

Pumphrey was clearly expected to develop into Sproles' replacement.
He didn't pan out.  Most guys don't.

You did mention Hunt.
I liked him, too, but not at an additional cost.
The point of the list was that there was not a subsequent pick who equated to an heir apparent to Sproles as a third down, receiving back.

(For the record, I did suggest Phillip Lindsay (in a mock) due to his receiving stats (one drop in four years).
But, that was another draft.
Also, I tilt to Pac-12 players which casts a dubious light on some of my selections.)

Nonetheless, the Eagles weren't just looking for "a back."
They were trying to find a back who could do what Sproles can do.
Clement was not drafted to be that guy.
In fact, he wasn't even drafted.  He was an afterthought.

Pumphrey is just another guy who wasn't the right guy, like so many others.
He was taken in the 4th round, trade up* or not, not a game changer.

It was a calculated risk that fell outside the desired parameters.
It was far from a horrible pick at the time.
Nobody is going to say, "Ryan Leaf, Tony Mandarich, Donnell Pumphrey."
Nobody is going to say, "Danny Watkins, Marcus Smith, Donnell Pumphrey."

It just wasn't that bad.
That's my point.
 

*See Matt Barkley and Max Jean-Gilles
 

It’s macallan 12 or you gtfo.  

The real issue and broader scope is that they missed on a RB that they could have penciled in as the workhorse back for the next 5 years. Howie tried to get Cook. There wasn’t some prenotion that any RB they took had to replace Sproles. They needed a RB. You can find pass catching backs anywhere. Should have taken Kamara if that’s all they needed. There’s at least 5 guys on that list that catch balls and more. What was so special about Pump? He was small like Sproles? Again, they needed a back for the future. Ajayi wasn’t getting resigned and they needed someone to get bulk snaps in 2019. Pump, at the absolute best, is just a 3rd down back. 

And again, didn’t mention Hunt. You must be confusing me. Did not, do not want Hunt. Didn’t suggest it. 

It was a terrible waste of a pick and resources. Downplay it or compare it to all time draft fails if you like but it’s a problem Howie hasn’t figured out almost 3 years running. Is that not an issue for you? Arguably a selection that will cost us 4+ picks to rectify. And when you factor in the absolute studs in that draft, especially when every draftnik with a blog, recited time after time this is the year of the RB,  Howie almost COULDNT screw it up but failed miserably. Easily one of his biggest blunders if you ask me. You don’t need to agree but it was a terrible move and he’ll have to pay even more to reverse it. 

*Barkley wasn’t drafted to start. It was a flyer on a talented guy who could have had  boom potential. I’m ok with that. 

And MJG was a fine 4th(?) round pick. He started 26 games and if not for some awful decision to get weight loss surgery, he would have been solid. 

Pump’s potential was a CoP 3rd down back. And even if it was a homerun pick, it still would have left a huge hole at RB next year where Howie could have drafted 8 other dudes to fill the role nicely. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/14/2018 at 2:16 PM, Jroc04 said:

It’s macallan 12 or you gtfo.  

The real issue and broader scope is that they missed on a RB that they could have penciled in as the workhorse back for the next 5 years. Howie tried to get Cook. There wasn’t some prenotion that any RB they took had to replace Sproles. They needed a RB. You can find pass catching backs anywhere. Should have taken Kamara if that’s all they needed. There’s at least 5 guys on that list that catch balls and more. What was so special about Pump? He was small like Sproles? Again, they needed a back for the future. Ajayi wasn’t getting resigned and they needed someone to get bulk snaps in 2019. Pump, at the absolute best, is just a 3rd down back. 

And again, didn’t mention Hunt. You must be confusing me. Did not, do not want Hunt. Didn’t suggest it. 

It was a terrible waste of a pick and resources. Downplay it or compare it to all time draft fails if you like but it’s a problem Howie hasn’t figured out almost 3 years running. Is that not an issue for you? Arguably a selection that will cost us 4+ picks to rectify. And when you factor in the absolute studs in that draft, especially when every draftnik with a blog, recited time after time this is the year of the RB,  Howie almost COULDNT screw it up but failed miserably. Easily one of his biggest blunders if you ask me. You don’t need to agree but it was a terrible move and he’ll have to pay even more to reverse it. 

*Barkley wasn’t drafted to start. It was a flyer on a talented guy who could have had  boom potential. I’m ok with that. 

And MJG was a fine 4th(?) round pick. He started 26 games and if not for some awful decision to get weight loss surgery, he would have been solid. 

Pump’s potential was a CoP 3rd down back. And even if it was a homerun pick, it still would have left a huge hole at RB next year where Howie could have drafted 8 other dudes to fill the role nicely. 

Um, no.
Macallan is scotch.
Again, bourbon or brandy, not scotch.

On 11/17/2018 at 10:30 AM, Jroc04 quoted Bleeding Green Nation:

Even Kareem Hunt was a viable option, as explained (ranted) about at the time:

“Those who say the Eagles didn’t have a shot at drafting Hunt are wrong. The Chiefs traded up to No. 86 to take him by trading No. 104, No. 132, and No. 245. The Eagles easily could have given up No. 99, No. 139, and No. 230 to move up. Note that Rasul Douglas was selected at No. 99 while the Eagles packaged No. 139 and No. 230 to move up for Pumphrey.”

You did give rise to Kareem Hunt.
That really isn't the gist of this, however, it would not have been the solution.

Ajayi was brought in to cover the season, re-signed in the future or not.
There will be a guy, or more likely guys, in the near future to replace him adequately.
Pumphrey, it was hoped would be one of them.  He won't.
He was brought in to fill the role Sproles does.

Ajayi's demise was unfortunate, but you can't have an All-Pro at every position, much less an All-Pro reserve.

Along with Pumphrey will be many other third day draft picks who will be delivering our packages from Amazon.
This was not a great miss.

 

 

 

:

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, babyatemydingo said:

Um, no.
Macallan is scotch.
Again, bourbon or brandy, not scotch.

On 11/17/2018 at 10:30 AM, Jroc04 quoted Bleeding Green Nation:

Even Kareem Hunt was a viable option, as explained (ranted) about at the time:

“Those who say the Eagles didn’t have a shot at drafting Hunt are wrong. The Chiefs traded up to No. 86 to take him by trading No. 104, No. 132, and No. 245. The Eagles easily could have given up No. 99, No. 139, and No. 230 to move up. Note that Rasul Douglas was selected at No. 99 while the Eagles packaged No. 139 and No. 230 to move up for Pumphrey.”

You did give rise to Kareem Hunt.
That really isn't the gist of this, however, it would not have been the solution.

Ajayi was brought in to cover the season, re-signed in the future or not.
There will be a guy, or more likely guys, in the near future to replace him adequately.
Pumphrey, it was hoped would be one of them.  He won't.
He was brought in to fill the role Sproles does.

Ajayi's demise was unfortunate, but you can't have an All-Pro at every position, much less an All-Pro reserve.

Along with Pumphrey will be many other third day draft picks who will be delivering our packages from Amazon.
This was not a great miss.

 

 

 

:

 

Your corn whiskey can gtfo too. I don’t mean that. I just prefer scotch. 

I quoted a big part of an article that brought up Hunt. I didn’t actually say it. However, I definitely would have drafted him. In defense of the statement, I thought you were referring to his recent happenings and his recent availability in which I most certainly do not want him. 

Just because the guy is slight in stature doesn’t mean he was drafted to replace the guy exactly. The draft was DEEP in RB and we needed a RB for the future. If not a workhorse back then a back that was exceptional in at least something. Just because Pumphrey most mirrored Sproles doesn’t mean it was the only need or the need you could conclude. If we drafted Cook and then Pump then I can see it. Sproles has never been a reliable 3 down back, especially not later in his career and we needed a back(s) that could do it all. And the only guy we drafted was a guy that was limited and not even good at what he’s limited too. It was a terrible pick. Not just because he was a mid rounder that didn’t work out, but because of what we chose instead of, what we missed out on, and also what we needed to invest in back into then and in the future. Drafting Cook, Kamara, Jones, and others would have saved us easily 4 picks. Whether we agree on the severity of the screw up is something that we won’t do, but it was bad.  And I won’t be persuaded otherwise. I don’t see it as just a mid rounder that missed, ho-hum. I see a blown opportunity that set that position back a few years plus assets. Can’t say the same for most other picks. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now



×