Backup QB options

AFlaccoSeagulls

22 minutes ago, paraven said:

At this point it's best to stick with mallet as back up. If flacco misses any time the season is a waste and id rather just get a better draft pick for next year tbh.

Well, if we are going this route, and I think our defense is too good for us to to be THAT bad this year, then I think we should just roll the dice on Woodrum. We know what we have in Mallet, and he's a nice backup, but he clearly can't carry the weight of a team for an extended period of time. At least with Woodrum, we can see if we have a diamond in the rough, or just a guy that won't make the team any worse than Mallet could as the starter.

40 minutes ago, paraven said:

At this point it's best to stick with mallet as back up. If flacco misses any time the season is a waste and id rather just get a better draft pick for next year tbh.

Not sure I necessarily agree with the logic here, sans the idea that if Flacco misses *significant* time, the season is a waste. You still need a backup QB for many things, even if he's not playing. I think most teams in the NFL are screwed if their starting QB goes down, but does that stop any of them from evaluating the backup spot and getting the best possible guy there to help their starter and win games in case he goes down? I sure hope not.

Right now, IMO, Mallett is a wasted roster spot and is only here because he's on the minimum deal we could sign him for. Maybe the guy is a helluva football mind with the clipboard in his hands, but I doubt it. I'd rather either go with a younger guy who we can groom into something, or get a vet backup who can help Flacco out on gamedays. That's just me, though. I know that's easier said than done, especially considering our salary cap situation and OL situation.

Archived