Lions @ Bears GDT

WindyCity

3 hours ago, RunningVaccs said:

Guys I really feel like every year we should all chip in, and in the spirit of being jerks at Christmas, but Windy the Jersey if whatever player has really pissed him off.

I know for sure last year would be Bellamy, and this year's seems destined for Sims... What were the others again?

I would expect Windy to pull the name plate off and tell everybody it's a Des Clark jersey

6 hours ago, WindyCity said:

I have never seen Sims do anything good.

Have you been watching him closely?

A fews days ago I would've agreed with this until yesterday when I started to go back and really focus only him during every one of his snaps this season on offense. I'm not done yet. But to be honest, so far I feel like even I may have been too hard on him and I'm even starting to see why the staff kept him around. He has made some key blocks that I don't think most people realize.

Sims offers absolutely nothing as a receiver or a runner---he is too heavy footed, is slower than molasses and is not the brightest(i.e cutting back inside for no reason on 3rd down) ---but he acts as 6th lineman (which is a key component in todays game), can (occasionally) be a lead blocker and serves as an outside blocker on extra points and field goals. So he has more value than I think we have all given him credit for.

Again, I'm not done and maybe my perception may change back to my original "he's garbage", which is what my thoughts have been on him, but so far he is proving me wrong and I think he would surprise alot of fans like yourself if you really take the time and spotlight him. 

10 hours ago, JustAnotherFan said:

Have you been watching him closely?

A fews days ago I would've agreed with this until yesterday when I started to go back and really focus only him during every one of his snaps this season on offense. I'm not done yet. But to be honest, so far I feel like even I may have been too hard on him and I'm even starting to see why the staff kept him around. He has made some key blocks that I don't think most people realize.

Sims offers absolutely nothing as a receiver or a runner---he is too heavy footed, is slower than molasses and is not the brightest(i.e cutting back inside for no reason on 3rd down) ---but he acts as 6th lineman (which is a key component in todays game), can (occasionally) be a lead blocker and serves as an outside blocker on extra points and field goals. So he has more value than I think we have all given him credit for.

Again, I'm not done and maybe my perception may change back to my original "he's garbage", which is what my thoughts have been on him, but so far he is proving me wrong and I think he would surprise alot of fans like yourself if you really take the time and spotlight him. 

I have watched him closely. 

He is a miserable blocker and routinely misses his assignment.

Against the Jets he was bad. Against the Bills he was atrocious.

Dion Sims in the 1st quarter against Buffalo

-Backside of an outside zone

-4:05 Misses Pull Block

-Pass pro on a 3 step drop

-6:05 Misses LB on a down block

-16:02 misses pull block 

-17:52 dominated on the 3rd and 1 play

He had 2 cupcake assignments and blew 4/6 plays in the 1st quarter alone.

This is probably the most important game of the season so far, given what losing it would mean for the Bears playoff hopes.

I picture the Lions really wanting to spoil the Bears, and this will be a nasty game

Still expect the Bears win, but closely, costly and badly.  20-17 Bears, Trubisky throws 2int, a d like 6 player gets hurt, Jordan Howard saves the day.

The Lions aren't good at all. I say we win 28-14.  Unlike in MIA they aren't rushing for 250ish yards and completing 80% of their passes. They should sell out when Howard  and Cohen look to run, so the RPOs and play action passes should be able to really kill them.

I watched first half of Lions/Vikings coaches film last night along with seeing general highlights last week.

Lions have some legit talent unlike Buf, TB and Jets. They are lacking in execution.  

First of all why have we never heard of #98?  ... Lets see who he is:  Damon Harrison.  That dude is a stud.  He is a Ted Washington clone.  He frightens me.  I don't think we have anyone who can block him.  He can shut down inside run game of Bears along with Hand.

Hand is a good athlete and good vs. run, but has no pass rush moves at all.  Still he is tough to block or move and he can run.  

If its me as OC dealing with a dude like Harrison I keep him guess and running in first half.  He will defeat any one on one blocks (early) and just eat the double teams.  So you change the blocking angles on him.  You don't just straight zone double to LB.  You block down.  You trap/wham.  Draw up a shovel pass where he is optioned and not blocked at all.  Then sprinkle in screens and sweeps making him go side line to side line to sideline until his big butt gasses.

Also you deepen the gun a bit and don't be afraid to roll out and scramble.  Make him run around in backfield on pass rushes chasing a QB faster than he is.  McNabb/Reid did that Washington in playoffs and killed Bears. 

Lions Oline, which is much maligned, did okay vs Vikings when Vikings ran base assignments (before they quit).  Where they struggled is when Vikings ran stunts or overloaded a gap.  They missed their assignments almost routinely.  Bears should follow suit until they show they can handle it.  Fangio doesn't like to do that much for some reason.

RB is good, he isn't that fast but he gets to his top speed really fast.  Key to stopping any good RB is frustrate him early so it run game gets abandoned.  An early lead would really help.  I fear their run game more than Stafford.  Stafford has a great arm and can be deadly accurate, but hit him a few times and he gets happy feet.   He also can't read defenses.  Peyton would have beaten Min last week by 18 with exact same teams.  Min. flat gave advantageous looks (safeties up or back/overloads) a lot of times and Stafford never checked out to take advantage.  Not ever.  Det even had unbalanced line with Min D actually overloaded to wrong side and 2nd TE leaves the strongside on a sweep to block backside which was meaningless.  What?  That should have been a walk in TD.  I know that one isn't on Stafford, but is Stafford dumb?  Honestly haven't really followed him much.  But he left a lot of meat on the bone and he is a long time vet.

I think Bears can't look past this team.  Detroit has some athletes like Harrison, Kerryon Johnson and Stafford, when he is on, that can disrupt a game plan.  Overall they aren't as good and Bears should win. 

I think Lions D line interior is better than Bears O line interior.

I think Bears WR and TE are better than Lions secondary while I can't same same for Lions WR and TEs.

I think Bears D line is better than Lions O line (really almost every NFL D line is better than opposing O line - its a matter of degrees).  

I think Stafford and Trubisky are a wash right now.  Stafford has an excellent arm, but doesn't impress me as a QB.  He can kill you in base, but he can be tricked.  Fangio game plan should be interesting.  I think he should be aggressive.  If he is passive I would say advantage Stafford.

LBs - advantage Bears though Lions LB aren't bad at all.  

Pass rush - advantage Bears with Mack.

Special Teams - advantage Bears.

@dll2000

You can hype up Damon Harrison all you want, and there's no question that he is a good player, but let's not make him out to be Haloti Ngata in his prime. The Lions are second worst in the NFL against the run, and Harrison was supposed to help that. Instead, they've given up 136 and 176 yards on the ground in the two games Harrison has played in Honolulu Blue.

I'm assuming that has a lot to do with the Lions LB trio being pathetic. They couldn't tackle me.

On ‎11‎/‎7‎/‎2018 at 3:49 PM, Superman(DH23) said:

Lang being out is huge, I imagine his replacement would see a lot of Akiem Hicks.  I want to see Slay play so that 10 can drop 3 TDs on him with all the trash he talked last year.

Lang's replacement gave up 2 sacks and 3 QB hits last week in something like 40 snaps.

Archived