Vikings Sign: Ameer Abdullah

The Gnat

I'd assume Thomas is going on the IR, they probably want another pass catching option out of the backfield (even though our favorite pork-product named fullback fills that role fine) to compliment Murray/Boone if Cook keeps missing time. That or they'll cut him after the next Lions game

I have to say that I'm somewhat confused by this move.  Other than being in the league for a few years, and playing for a divisional foe, I'm not sure what makes this signing worthwhile.  I don't have any attachment to Roc Thomas, but is Abdullah significantly better??  IDK.

Abdullah has never returned a punt in his NFL career, but he has been among the better kick returners in recent years.

He has 49 career kickoff returns for 1,363 yards for an average of 27.8 yards per return. He has a career-long of 104 yards on a kickoff return against Green Bay in 2015 but was tackled at the 1-yard line.

Abdullah led the league in kickoff returns (37) and kickoff return yardage (1,077) in 2015.

https://www.vikings.com/news/5-things-to-know-about-vikings-new-rb-ameer-abdullah?sf201806073=1

I actually really like this signing. I probably have always been a bigger fan of Ameer than most, but the way the lions continued to distribute the ball to the guy it was an embarrassment. Continually trying to pound him between the tackles and up the gut, and using him on some really terrible screen plays where no lion has found success. 

Not saying he will be anything here but it probably is an upgrade over Thomas. Most likely offers more to special teams than he does. 

Fumbling concerns are a little overblown in my ball. He’s touched the ball 433 times between Rushing, Receiving, and returning and he has a total of 8 fumbles. And 5 of them came his rookie year. 

Archived