BrownLeader 2019 Positional Rankings

BrownLeader

4 hours ago, Calvert28 said:

His lateral mobility is excellent for a guy who who will check out around 6-3 215 to 220. They have used him in multiple slot roles including wildcat formation as the QB. I made the comparison in another thread he reminds me alot of Cordelle Patterson coming out. But Humphrey I have seen be a serious threat over the middle. I wouldnt call him elite in any one area. But this is a guy who could be a starter for the next 10 years on almost any team given his versatility. 

Keep in mind it may be a little bit of homerism. But the talent is there with this guy and as I said in more then a few ways I prefer him over Colin Johnson. 

Patterson's an interesting comp in that his lateral mobility doesn't match his linear burst and speed. Patterson can change direction but he's a narrow runner in his routes and doesn't separate as well as it looks like he should.

Curious why you like him better than Johnson though?

TBH, I'm not real sure about one over the other at this point but I like Johnson's speed, wingspan and ball skills. His height and fluidity is pretty good. I feel like the only thing L.J. has on Johnson is perhaps better hands. 

19 hours ago, Jeezla said:

So you hate Darrell Henderson?

He's rb1 imo.

Hadn't watched a lick of Memphis this season. Looked at a handful of games yesterday and feel like I'm almost seeing a clone of Rashaad Penny. Blazing speed and burst with a little bit of wiggle. Runs over guys when he gathers momentum but he's generally an upright runner thru the hole and doesn't sink his hips. Has a lot of gaping holes and space in Memphis' system. He's got some lateral mobility but doesn't have great feet I don't think. 

I was actually impressed even more by WR Damonte Coxie. He's like a mean Devante Adams or a taller Jarvis Landry. Acrobatic hands catcher with impressive yac ability, speed to keep guys honest and a vicious blocker.

Might be late on this, but I had no idea Singletary was as good as he is. RB1 for me. Tomlinson comp gets overused every year but this is how I recall him looking at TCU. I think DeAngelo Williams is another close comp.

@Calvert28 I'm coming around on Humphrey over Collin Johnson. I underrated his yac ability and physicality.

• 1 month later...

1/1 Big board & Updated rankings

1. Nick Bosa* | OLB/DE | Ohio St

The shorter version of Joey is billed as a can't miss edge player. Power and athletic ability are standout attributes and he's versatile enough to play multiple schemes/roles. I see him in the mold of Justin Houston and think he could have a similar pro trajectory.

2. Quinnen Williams** | DT | Alabama

Possibly the fastest rising prospect after a completely dominant season in which he was the nation's best defensive player. Stout and explosive, he reminds me of a smaller Fletcher Cox.

3. Ed Oliver** | DT | Houston

A squat, powerful DT that runs around like a LB qualifies as a freak. But Oliver's physical measurables aren't going to add up favorably for every team. I see him as a smaller, but potentially more explosive Jurrell Casey.

4. Byron Murphy** | CB | Washington

As a redshirt sophomore, Murphy was a little off the radar to start the season but his dominant play has likely earned him the CB#1 spot in April if he declares.

5. Devon White* | LB | LSU

White's an impressive size/speed athlete that can cover and fill. Plays on fire and prone to overrun plays but will likely become more disciplined as a pro.

6. Mack Wilson* | LB | Alabama

Wilson's really just a big safety playing LB. He can run, cover and tackle with power in space.

7. Jachai Polite* | OLB/DE | Florida

Polite's one of the most explosive guys off the edge in this class.

8. Jonah Williams | OT | Alabama

Built like a OG but has the feet and technique of a LT. 

9. Dalton Risner | OT | Kansas St

Risner has few weaknesses and he looks like the kind of OT that becomes a fixture upfront for year's.

10. Clelin Ferrell | DE | Clemson

Character guy with size,  explosive ability and production. Versatile enough to play in space or put his hand down.

11. D.K. Metcalf** | WR | Ole Miss

Metcalf might be the freak athlete in this class. 

12. Zach Allen | DE | Boston College

Strong, forever motor guy that has impressive suddenness and mobility for a large man. Sets the edge and finds a way to pressure and make plays consistently.

13. Chase Hansen | LB | Utah

Former safety remains a little undersized for the position but makes up for it with great range, instincts and toughness.

14. David Montgomery* | RB | Iowa St

Montgomery is a Kareem Hunt clone that utilizes elusiveness and burst to great effect. A solid pass pro guy that can catch as well, the only question I have is just how strong he is. 

15. Derrick Brown* | DT | Auburn

Flashes serious dominance at times but also disappears for stretches

16. N'Keal Harry* | WR | Arizona St

Harry's a physical, good sized clutch catcher in the mold of a Dez Bryant or Anquan Boldin. Quick for a big WR but his overall speed and explosiveness remains a question mark.

17. Raequan Williams* | DT | Michigan St

Special range and quickness from the inside and knows how to get stout when he needs to.

18. Cody Ford* | OG | Ohlahoma

Shredded up some, kicked out to tackle and has been bashing guys around in the running game and holding up in pass pro.

19. Jeff Simmons* | DT | Mississippi St

A freak athlete for a DT, Simmons is a closer inside with enormous upside. His off field history will drop him off some teams' boards tho.

20. Jerry Tillery | DT | Notre Dame

Explosive interior guy built like the prototype but just doesn't consistently dominate like it looks like he should. Still, there's a ton of tools to work with there.

21. Joshua Jacobs* | Alabama

Looking like a stocky Joe Mixon to me, Jacobs has broke out of the Bama RB committee as a potential franchise back.

22. Dwayne Haskins** | QB | Ohio St

Big armed, accurate and clutch, Haskins breakout year has him atop most team's QB board. His pedestrian pocket mobility and misfires under pressure are significant obstacles but he's still a work in progress as a RS Soph and has plenty of upside. He reminds me of a raw Kerry Collins.

23. Chase Winovich | OLB/DE | Michigan

Winovich is an impressive hand fighter with burst and a big time motor.

24. Dre'Mont Jones* | DT | Ohio St

Jones is a great athlete on the interior and wins with quickness and anticipation. Just scratching the surface.21.

25. Justin Layne* | CB | Michigan St

Part time WR has great speed and quickness and is more hard nosed than he looks. 

26. Greedy Williams** | CB | LSU

Prototype quickness and mirror ability but he's raw on strength and discipline.

27. Josh Allen | OLB/DE | Kentucky

Smart, super sized LB that can do a little bit of everything. A little inconsistent but he's racked great production. Reminds me some of Preston Smith.

28. Benny Snell* | RB | Kentucky

Snell's like a chippy Jordan Howard and is well suited to be a pro #1 back. 

29. Devin Singletary* | RB | FAU

Explosive natural runner that moves like a smaller LeSean McCoy. If he gets a little stronger as a pro he'll be a star.

30. Devin Bush* | LB | Michigan

Antics and injuries overshadow a monster talent that can fill with authority, run and cover.

31. DeAndre Baker | CB | Georgia

Physical coverage guy and big time playmaker but could face questions about his overall athletic ability.

32. Joejuan Williams* | CB | Vanderbilt

Size/speed guy with strong cover skills and might be the best run support corner in this class.

33. J.J. Arcega-Whiteside | WR | Stanford

The best college 50/50 ball catcher I've seen since Golden Tate. Unstoppable post up guy with enough burst and cod to create enough space. Reminds me of Oakland Micheal Crabbtree.

34. Marquise Brown | WR | Oklahoma

Pint size speed guy in the mold of DeSean Jackson but not as gangsta.

Some 1/1 hot takes..

Minshew would be my #1 QB if he had a better arm. 

Daniel Jones is probably QB #2 but I think he's a 4th round talent.

Wolfpack's Emezie is a better prospect than Harmon.

I'd take CBs Joejuan Williams and Justin Layne in the 1st round.

Spartan junior DT Raequan Williams is better than some the more touted DTs.

TEs Pickney and Mack are better or at least no less than more touted Fant, Irving, Okwuegbanum.

Wake Forest OG Phil Haynes is severely underrated.

Oruwariye is overrated. Reminds me of Blidi Wreh Wilson.

1 hour ago, BrownLeader said:

1/1 Big board & Updated rankings

7. Jachai Polite* | OLB/DE | Florida

Polite's one of the most explosive guys off the edge in this class.

How is Polite better as a 3/4 OLB than Josh Allen, Brian Burns or Montez Sweat for that matter?  I know he is a quick athlete who has a great burst but is very weak in the run game and cannot hold the edge at the point of attack that well.  On the field this year no way Polite was better than Josh Allen who is bigger, stronger and is a better all around football player.  Allen could play DE, OLB in a 4/3 or OLB in a 3/4.  Same could be said for Brian Burns, just as long and quick and has done it for awhile and Sweat is a freak show athlete.

Polite to be and his inability to be strong at the point takes him down a notch, he is only a 3/4 OLB pass rusher and that is about it.  Even that if he was in a 3/4 he would have to be protected by the others around him in the run game.  Great pass rusher yes but would like to see a little more complete play out of him to be honest but maybe that is just me.  I like him just never thought of him as this super high 1st round pick...  

2 hours ago, Ozzy said:

How is Polite better as a 3/4 OLB than Josh Allen, Brian Burns or Montez Sweat for that matter?  I know he is a quick athlete who has a great burst but is very weak in the run game and cannot hold the edge at the point of attack that well.  On the field this year no way Polite was better than Josh Allen who is bigger, stronger and is a better all around football player.  Allen could play DE, OLB in a 4/3 or OLB in a 3/4.  Same could be said for Brian Burns, just as long and quick and has done it for awhile and Sweat is a freak show athlete.

Polite to be and his inability to be strong at the point takes him down a notch, he is only a 3/4 OLB pass rusher and that is about it.  Even that if he was in a 3/4 he would have to be protected by the others around him in the run game.  Great pass rusher yes but would like to see a little more complete play out of him to be honest but maybe that is just me.  I like him just never thought of him as this super high 1st round pick...  

Polite is better at what he does best than either of the others you mentioned imo. Not as complete a guy at this point necessarily, but a rusher is drafted to get pressure first and foremost.

He's got the quickest feet and the best  overall mobility of the group. His lateral quickness is special. He can accelerate while changing directions and on the turn. Doesn't have a lot of power but plays with a good base and balance. 

Burns has intial quickness and overall mobility but not the best balance and runs into a lot of blocks and traffic. Allen has some strength and speed but he can get clunky changing directions. I'm not sold on Sweat's freak athletic ability... I see more of a motor guy than elite athlete.

Look at these series of 4 clips from Polite vs Miss St. Not a strength, but shows a little bull rush, then runs around a block, shows off an eye popping speed turn, and flashes around the edge with awareness to hit the ball.

13 minutes ago, BrownLeader said:

Polite is better at what he does best than either of the others you mentioned imo. Not as complete a guy at this point necessarily, but a rusher is drafted to get pressure first and foremost.

He's got the quickest feet and the best  overall mobility of the group. His lateral quickness is special. He can accelerate while changing directions and on the turn. Doesn't have a lot of power but plays with a good base and balance. 

Burns has intial quickness and overall mobility but not the best balance and runs into a lot of blocks and traffic. Allen has some strength and speed but he can get clunky changing directions. I'm not sold on Sweat's freak athletic ability... I see more of a motor guy than elite athlete.

Look at these series of 4 clips from Polite vs Miss St. Not a strength, but shows a little bull rush, then runs around a block, shows off an eye popping speed turn, and flashes around the edge with awareness to hit the ball.

AJ Epenesa made those Miss State OT look flat out terrible at times and they could not handle him off the edge either at points in that game.  And to me sure lateral quickness is nice and mobility but you are not a corner, you are basically a DL.  Sure that quickness might be nice in coverage but I would not say he is some weapon dropping back in coverage because I do not think he could get off blocks consistently in a tackling situation.  I think a TE or OT got on him outside of a typical pass rush situation and did it down field, he would be done.

Polite has been successful this season, years before he only flashed and it was for a very little bit I feel.  Josh Allen has been good for a long time and far more consistently productive, same with Brian Burns.  As for Sweat he apparently has a 40+ inch vertical, so he is not just a motor guy, and he also has actually had success for more than once season.  Josh Allen is by far and away better than Polite to me, it is not even close.  Did you see him in the Bowl game today?  Guy was making plays consistently and has carried that defense.

Polite is nice and quick sure but again I want more toughness and size, not to mention ability to hold the point.  I have said before Sutton Smith has been crazy productive in college, way more productive than Polite, Smith had almost better stats in one year than Polite had his entire career.  And no one is calling Smith a top 15 pick in the 1st round.  And Smith is better at the point of attack and obviously has been more consistent over a long period of time.  But even with him 2nd or 3rd round I would be comfortable with, but 1st round at his size, well only if he blows up at the combine and same I guess could be said for Polite.  Odd how people do not seemed concerned about Polite's physical size as a 3/4 OLB/DE but are with Sutton Smith.  

• 4 weeks later...

*Finally updated some rankings. Check the OP.

Right now...

Loving:

Te'Von Coney, LB

Darnell Savage, S

Chuma Edoga, OT

Jerry Tillery, DT

Ryan Pulley, CB

Will Harris, S

Dropping:

Devin White, LB

D.K. Metcalf, WR

L.J. Humphrey, WR

Josh Oliver, TE

Chase Hansen, LB

Drue Tranquill, LB

Senior Bowl Practices

Rock Ya Sin, CB - One year wonder reminds of a physical Pierre Desir.

Khalen Saunders, DT - Stepped out at both the Shrine and here. If he nails the combine too....

Montez Sweat, DE - He's a power DE despite his skinny frame.

Deebo Samuel, WR - Confirmed what I thought going in. Just outside the top tier.

Drew Lock, QB - Liked his personality more than I thought. Still a huge project.

Gardner Minshew, QB - Named captain. He'll get a shot as an NFL starter eventually.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Updated rankings on the OP.

Getting into some draft reports now. Here are some quick summaries of the longer write ups ...

Josh Allen - "Long, athletic, versatile edge that can play back or rush. But while he's 6'5 262, he's a finesse guy that struggles converting speed to power."

David Montgomery - "Little beast mode" lacks explosiveness but is a reliable, complete back that could make you grab air inside an elevator.

Parris Campbell - "Electric with the ball and carries intriguing upside after having a somewhat limited role at OSU inside a talented WR core."

D.K. Metcalf - "Bonafide freak, size/speed receiver with quick feet and soft hands but doesn't play as strong as he looks and isn't there yet as a route runner"

Miles Sanders - "Good athlete and runs with vision, speed and and short area quickness. ...although, not sure he plays as explosive as he tested, and he's not a physical runner"

Kelvin Harmon - "Rocked up, physical receiver with size, length and clutch ability that lacks explosiveness and subtlety"

L.J. Humphrey - "Deceptively strong with length, quickness and big time ball skills...downside is that he's a high cut, narrow base, one year wonder"

A.J. Brown - "An all day yac threat with the size, hands and quickness to be a #1 option despite lacking the speed to run past guys."

Darrell Henderson - "Homerun hitter that takes it 0 to 100 in a blink. I think he's a see it, hit it runner with average feet that doesn't create any more space then what's there."

Elijah Holyfield - "Angry runner that uses ideal body lean to generate power ...but despite the guns, is small framed and lacks explosiveness"

Montez Sweat - "Long, lean edge with superior mobility and plays with much better leverage than you expect. However, he's not the consistent, first step quick pass rusher he tested like."

Brian Burns - "Regularly wins off his first step but struggles through contact and needs to operate in space to be effective"

Trysten Hill - "Explosive initial quickness and a great forever motor but lacks power and discipline and can get rooted out."

Devin White - "He's an unguided missile. He has things you can't teach but needs much better anticipation to come near realizing that HOF potential"

Andy Isabella - "Bow legged speedster with the frame and elusiveness of a scat back but gets a little pushed around and jumped over by size"

Darnell Savage - "Twitchy, swift defensive back with great range and instincts but lacks strength and discipline"

Miles Boykin - "Tall guy with size and impressive suddenness off his release that's a good bet to be a better pro than college player."

Jerry Tillery - "He's a long, powerful DT with impressive initial quickness that gradually went from underachiever to a real presence for the Irish...but the former label still sticks."

Archived