Best WR in AFC, Brown or Hopkins

Activated10

Best WR in AFC  

44 members have voted

1. 1. Best WR AFC

• Antonio Brown
    • DeAndre Hopkins

2 hours ago, kingseanjohn said:

Between the two, Hopkins because he's been doing it with little help around him. I don't know if AB would be just as good on a lesser team with a non-Hall of Fame candidate QB.

This argument is garbage. Ben's play literally was a detriment to Brown early in the season.

13 hours ago, SmittyBacall said:

I really doubt this post is solely about 2018. What about the last several seasons?

Here's the thing though... There's only been two years out of the past 5 where one could argue that Ben played at a level that is transcendent of what Watson has done these first two years and those are 2014 and 2016. Still don't know if Nuk would have a season is capable of having seasons akin to what AB did in 2014, 2015, and 2017 to be honest.

I actually think he could do it with Watson at the helm all season but I would categorize those seasons from AB as three of the top 10 all time. I actually think AB is entering the twilight of his career but even when he's doing that he's still showing himself to be elite so I cannot in good faith remove him from best WR in the AFC or maybe even best in the league though Nuk would probably be the one to take that thrown from him if I had to decide someone at season's end.

Still AB, pretty easy. Not that he's on a different level, but the man has displayed insane consistency over a very long period of time, and shows no signs of slowing down just yet. He is in the midst of a legendary stretch of WR play.

His last 90 games, starting with his breakout near-200 yard game in 2013 

• 9,087 yards, 669 catches, 68 TDs

What I believe is Rice's best 90 game stretch (1992 to 1996)

• 8,078 yards, 583 catches, 67 TDs

Hopkins is special, and much more fun to watch since he doesn't excel at getting separation in the way AB does and also usually has inferior QBs throwing him the ball, requiring him to simply out will his opponent to come down with the football which makes for splashy contested catches. This has more to do with AB's sheer excellence than any faults or weaknesses in Hopkins' game.

On 11/9/2018 at 8:57 PM, RandyMossIsBoss said:

Still AB, pretty easy. Not that he's on a different level, but the man has displayed insane consistency over a very long period of time, and shows no signs of slowing down just yet. He is in the midst of a legendary stretch of WR play.

His last 90 games, starting with his breakout near-200 yard game in 2013 

• 9,087 yards, 669 catches, 68 TDs

What I believe is Rice's best 90 game stretch (1992 to 1996)

• 8,078 yards, 583 catches, 67 TDs

Hopkins is special, and much more fun to watch since he doesn't excel at getting separation in the way AB does and also usually has inferior QBs throwing him the ball, requiring him to simply out will his opponent to come down with the football which makes for splashy contested catches. This has more to do with AB's sheer excellence than any faults or weaknesses in Hopkins' game.

IIRC, hopkins has received absolutely massive amounts of targets in the past, much like thielen this year. Context matters. I'm not discrediting either though, who are both playing great.

On 11/9/2018 at 7:41 PM, BlaqOptic said:

Here's the thing though... There's only been two years out of the past 5 where one could argue that Ben played at a level that is transcendent of what Watson has done these first two years

You're making it seem as if Watson has played two years, when he's only played 16 games to this point. 

You could cut off Ben Roethlisberger right hand, and he'd still be a better QB than the QBs Hopkins has played with. Ben's absolute worst is still considerably better than every QB Hopkins gas worked with (with the sole exception of Ryan Fitzpatrick - who was Nuk's QB for maybe 10 games, when Hopkins was still a #2 behind Andre Johnson). 

There's no other way to spin this - Ben Roethlisberger is considerably better than Ryan Mallet, Brian Hoyer, Case Keenum, Tom Savage and Brock Osweiler. That has to factor into this discussion.

1 hour ago, ET80 said:

You're making it seem as if Watson has played two years, when he's only played 16 games to this point. 

You could cut off Ben Roethlisberger right hand, and he'd still be a better QB than the QBs Hopkins has played with. Ben's absolute worst is still considerably better than every QB Hopkins gas worked with (with the sole exception of Ryan Fitzpatrick - who was Nuk's QB for maybe 10 games, when Hopkins was still a #2 behind Andre Johnson). 

There's no other way to spin this - Ben Roethlisberger is considerably better than Ryan Mallet, Brian Hoyer, Case Keenum, Tom Savage and Brock Osweiler. That has to factor into this discussion.

That wasn't my argument at all.

Archived