Trubisky vs Watson, long term

Activated10

Trubisky vs Watson  

69 members have voted

1. 1. Trubisky or Watson, which QB you take for next decade

• Mitchell Trubisky
    • Deshaun Watson

I can't answer which will be better because I'm not going to pretend to have watched Watson as closely as I have Mitch (which I'm sure many people here will try to do). In fact, I have not seen many Texans games at all, much less focus only on Watson. So I'll withhold judgment on him this year, right now. But what I can speak on is Mitch.

I have been one of Mitch's biggest detractors since Week 1 (arguing with Bears fans left and right) and I'm still on the fence about him being the true future of this franchise. However, it's not nearly as bad as some people seem to make it out to be because he has come along way in his development as a whole when you really break it down from week to week. Some things are taking longer than expected, some are developing faster, but it's getting there nonetheless. The game is really starting to slow down for him. And we're only in week 8.

Here's what I wrote in our forum just a couple days ago that touched on this very same thing that kind of highlights what I mean by his development process.

All I wanted (still want) to see from him is progression and not regression and overall all he has done that. 

Just to recap some of his issues in the first part of the season and ones that I have seen get better.

• 1) Relying too heavily on YAC and shorter routes. 
  • 2) Not trusting his arm.
  • 3) Not reading the defense and relying too much on Nagy's game plan and script plays.
  • 4) Looked very uncomfortable in the pocket and would bail far too early.
  • 5) Was folding under even the slightest bit of pressure. 
  • 6) Was relying too much on his first 2 reads and would force the ball even with an a open man elsewhere.
  • 7) Was very inconsistent on his throws. Both ball placement and accuracy.
  • 8) Was not throwing the ball away when he should have (most of the sacks were mostly on him)

As of right now, if I were to take this same list above and use a color code to showcase;
which ones he has improved improved drastically on
which ones he has improved but still needs to work on-
which ones he is still having trouble with

....the list would look like something like this as of right now.

• 1) Relying too heavily on YAC and shorter routes. 
  • 2) Not trusting his arm.
  • 3) Not reading the defense and relying too much on Nagy's game plan and script plays.
  • 4) Looked very uncomfortable in the pocket and would bail far too early.
  • 5) Was folding under even the slightest bit of pressure. 
  • 6) Was relying too much on his first 2 reads and would force the ball even with an a open man elsewhere.
  • 7) Was very inconsistent on his throws. Both ball placement and accuracy.
  • 8) Was not throwing the ball away when he should have (most of the sacks were mostly on him)

=====================================================
Now as I'm sure you guys know by now, I have been Mitch's biggest critic. I'm still skeptic, but as you can see above, even I can see that Mitch has come along way since week 1 and is progressively getting better as the season goes. I don't know what his overall raw stats look like these last 2 games but overall I thought he has played pretty well. Started out rough in the first half of both games(not all on him) but rebounded nicely in the 2nd half. 

The inconsistency on his throws and knowing when to just concede and throw the ball away are definitely his biggest issues right now, IMO. 

He still has some work to do, like always, but what I do like is that in the midst of improving, he is not turning the ball over at a high rate and that is a big plus in my book going forward because that means he is not throwing games away either.

Again, I can't answer who will be better and to be truthfully honest I wasn't very high on either of them coming out of college. But that said, I did watch both of them alot last year and both of them shocked me and basically told me that I was wrong. Some of the things they did was very impressive---especially with what they had to work with.

Now whether or not that keeps up remains to be seen. It takes QB's 3-5 years to really start to peak so we'll find out alot more after the 2019 season.

Trbisky is playing alright now after looking awful. He also get to play with arguably the best defense in the league with constant short fields and turnovers though so much isn't being asked of him throughout most games this year. Like their defense is last when it comes to teams scoring per drive and 1st when it comes to their teams ending drives in turnovers.

11 hours ago, Activated10 said:

We all know Mahomes is the best QB from 2017 NFL draft. Now after 2017 season Watson was looking like best new thing at QB and Trubisky looking like a disaster. 2018 has balanced it out and now which QB from these two would you take for the long term. 

No we dont, just like we didnt know Watson was the best last year like everybody claimed.  Mahomes is having the best year, we wont know definitively until at least 2020 and we may never have a real answer.  To this point all 3 have made their franchises happy and each GM feels justified in the decision.  

The answer to Trubisky v Watson is a tough one for me bc Watson was my #1, but the growth I've seen Tru in such a short time frame, its very impressive.

I spent an inordinate amount of time mocking Myles Garrett to Cleveland at #1 and Watson to Cleveland at #12 last year, was made fun of by the entire Cleveland forum who hated Watson, saw Watson's name flash across the screen, got super pumped, and then saw that the Browns traded the pick to the Texans, making me furious. Ward was nice compensation for Watson, and if Baker pans out and continues to look legit, no one will really care, but I love Watson and think that he's legit. JMHO

1 hour ago, Superman(DH23) said:

Mahomes is having the best year, we wont know definitively until at least 2020 and we may never have a real answer.  To this point all 3 have made their franchises happy and each GM feels justified in the decision.  

Question: Hypothetically, would you trade Trubisky for Mahomes right now if you could?

Archived